Sharks fire Peter DeBoer, Bob Boughner named interim head coach

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Long overdue. It always seems there is a good atmosphere in that Sharks org when it comes to the camaraderie between the players, so unless the replacement is a disaster I'm guessing they bounce back to playoff form.

At least you'd hope so for their sake. Because if this team really is in need of a retool, its gonna be an expensive and difficult process.

Reactions: BHD and themelkman

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Guess we pencil them in for a deep run, seems DeBoer was the only thing holding them back.

Since you’re gonna come in and fire from the hip without reading through I’ll post my take (again) about the situation.

“We know Jones is bad dude, no one is saying he isn’t. But Pete has no idea what he’s doing right now. The Sharks literally do the same thing for 60 minutes. They get the puck down low and then get it to the point for a low percentage shot, and every team knows how to defend against it.

Pete just refuses to change the teams play style whatsoever and makes two of the worlds most offensively gifted defenseman stand still and shoot at shins. What the **** is going on? He had to go because he refused to adapt and that’s why we got crushed by fast/skilled teams like Vegas and Pittsburgh.“

No, Pete isn’t the only problem but to say he wasn’t a major problem, is just a fat lie. We all know it.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
He's never assembled a team with a realistic path to win a championship. He's made good to great transactions to keep them afloat, but never with the long term planning necessary.

So the Sharks have never choked since they were never contenders with any chance whatsoever to win. Glad HF finally changed their mind on the Sharks in the playoffs and its now case closed

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Guess we pencil them in for a deep run, seems DeBoer was the only thing holding them back.

it's crazy how petty some people can be.

everyone who's seen the sharks all last season and this season will know that deboer lost that locker room, despite getting to the conference finals.

Reactions: Phu

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don’t know how anyone could have watched Sharks games and concluded that they were running a good system. The defenders just blast the puck up the middle of the ice and if their forwards come away with it and gain the offensive zone it goes back to the defenders for more blasting. So much energy spent constantly trying to retrieve the puck and when they do they try for low percentage shots. I would have loved to see AV get a shot with that team despite the fact that that would go against AV always having strong goaltending to support his systems.

Maybe I’m misinformed but their style always seemed chaotic and dumb to me. There’s a lot of speed and skill on that roster.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I don’t know how anyone could have watched Sharks games and concluded that they were running a good system. The defenders just blast the puck up the middle of the ice and if their forwards come away with it and gain the offensive zone it goes back to the defenders for more blasting. So much energy spent constantly trying to retrieve the puck and when they do they try for low percentage shots. I would have loved to see AV get a shot with that team despite the fact that that would go against AV always having strong goaltending to support his systems.

Maybe I’m misinformed but their style always seemed chaotic and dumb to me. There’s a lot of speed and skill on that roster.

Nail on the head.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Honestly could you come up with anything easier to develop a game plan against? The loss against Washington a week ago, the Sharks were just dissected.
We’ve been saying this on the Sharks board since last season. The utilization of our core players has been a joke.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
it's crazy how petty some people can be.

everyone who's seen the sharks all last season and this season will know that deboer lost that locker room, despite getting to the conference finals.

What are people being petty about?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Should have kept DeBoer. He’s a legit coach. Boughner is a lightweight Michel Therrien. Not good.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Jim Montgomery would be a nice fit for this team once all the smoke clears over whatever his issues are. He is really a players coach not sure how his system would work with the Sharks but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Fun fact, of the 7 teams (Wash twice) that the Pens beat on their way to back-to-back Stanley Cups, 4 of them have replaced their coaches. Nashville and Tampa being on the verge due to their stellar play this season. Tortorella in Columbus seems the safest of the group that is still coaching.

NY Ranger - Vigneault -> Quinn
Capitals - Trotz -> Reirden
San Jose - DeBoer -> Boughner
Ottawa - Boucher -> Smith

Tampa - Cooper, 9th in the East, 4th in division
Nashville - Laviolette, 11th in the West, 6th in division
Columbus -Tortorella, 13th in the East, 7th in division

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
DeBoer is not the problem.

This. Karlsson has been a disaster. All the forwards like to play exactly the same way (not a lot of contrast in the lineup) which makes them easier to defend against imo. Goaltending issues still haven’t been resolved.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
This. Karlsson has been a disaster. All the forwards like to play exactly the same way (not a lot of contrast in the lineup) which makes them easier to defend against imo. Goaltending issues still haven’t been resolved.
Karlsson has been a disaster? Yikes dude.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fun fact, of the 7 teams (Wash twice) that the Pens beat on their way to back-to-back Stanley Cups, 4 of them have replaced their coaches. Nashville and Tampa being on the verge due to their stellar play this season. Tortorella in Columbus seems the safest of the group that is still coaching.

NY Ranger - Vigneault -> Quinn
Capitals - Trotz -> Reirden
San Jose - DeBoer -> Boughner
Ottawa - Boucher -> Smith

Tampa - Cooper, 9th in the East, 4th in division
Nashville - Laviolette, 11th in the West, 6th in division
Columbus -Tortorella, 13th in the East, 7th in division
Fun fact: Mike Sullivan was Tortorella’s assistant coach on the Rangers, then he went to Vancouver when we fired Tortorella and hired Vigneault, then in Pittsburgh, after losing to the Rangers in 2014-15, he won two consecutive Stanley Cups basically copying the style of play that Vigneault had the Rangers running.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
With Berube taking over the Blues last season, everyone wants a tough guy as their head coach now. Nasreddine, Boughner...

If Jeremy Colliton gets fired in Chicago, the Hawks have Sheldon Brookbank waiting for an opportunity next.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
People need to stop referencing Berube. Good coach, no doubt. However, the Blues got quality goaltending around the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad