Sharkies weekly 2004 Entry draft scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
any new scouting reports out there?

Got a question on Schremp and Schwarz.

Whats the downside to Schremp? I know he demanded a trade but why would that be such a big deal? Its not like its a very uncommon thing to do in the hockey world. Some people claim he is the only center who is projected at being a point a game player. Do you agree? Or is this just a little overstated?

Schwarz. I have heard he is the backup on his team and is only geting 8-10 games a season. How can this guy develope without more games? Isn't this a major problem if the kid is stuck behind a successful vet?

X-SHARKIE

Tadite said:
Got a question on Schremp and Schwarz.

Whats the downside to Schremp? I know he demanded a trade but why would that be such a big deal? Its not like its a very uncommon thing to do in the hockey world. Some people claim he is the only center who is projected at being a point a game player. Do you agree? Or is this just a little overstated?

Schwarz. I have heard he is the backup on his team and is only geting 8-10 games a season. How can this guy develope without more games? Isn't this a major problem if the kid is stuck behind a successful vet?

Well Schremp doesn't have a physical dimension to him. He helps out on defense at times, then other times he floats, I saw him play on the third line this year and it wasn't pretty. Either he's scoring or Robbie isn't a contributor. He wont fight for a puck in the corner, he dont do the dirty work. He well need a big man on his line or somone who can work the corners well. He doesnt forecheck hard at all. Also Schremp doesnt crash the net hard, and wont pick up many garbage goals.
I dont see the trade as a big thing, adn at the moment he well likely go anywhere from 5th to 8th overall.

Schwarz is a back up. Spota sp? has a good goalie ahead of him. Schwarz is only being looked down upon IMO is because he wasnt impressive vs Canada at the WJC....but the rest of the WJC's he definity was. I like him alot, mabey his biggest fan on this site, very overlooked. Not a buterfly goalie, but has amazing reflexes, he has a awesome glove, He plays a big game out there as well, very flexible and moves around in the net very well. I have trouble getting any tapes from the Czech Republic so the last time I saw Schwarz was in 2003.
I dont think it's hurting him in the long run..... Schwarz is a long term investment. I still see him as a top 10 pick. His stock may be falling not because of what he has done bad, but because of what others like Ladd ect. have done.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Side note here.

I've seen 4 CHL playoff games over the past week, 2 of them were Moncton Wildcat games though. The other two were WHL with the Rockets....any questions on anyone from either team I would be glad to help.

Sharkie, great job in this thread.

I've got some questions about a couple of Moncton players, Bruce Graham and Martin Karsums. Any insight on either? I hear Karsums is loaded with hockey sense, and Graham is a big kid with skill. What can you add?

Also, I'm interested in any impressions you may have of Konstantin Zakharov, a Moncton player who was taken by the Blues in last year's draft.

On the same note, since you see the Badgers frequently, do you have any thoughts on Blues' draftee Ryan MacMurchy? I live in Rockford myself, but haven't been able to get up to Madison to catch any UW games this year.

Back to 2004-eligible prospects, I'm also intersted in your opinions on Martin Houle (G, Cape Breton, QMJHL), Aki Seitsonen (C, Prince Albert, WHL) and Czech F Lukas Kaspar (sorry if you've already commented on him; I don't remember seeing it earlier in this thread, however).

Thanks, and looking forward to your replies.

PrussianBlue

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Tadite said:

Seems like he's played on 3 different extraliga teams this year and amassed 23 games at that level. Combine that with the World Juniors and other such tourneys and I don't see a lack of playing time.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Seems like he's played on 3 different extraliga teams this year and amassed 23 games at that level. Combine that with the World Juniors and other such tourneys and I don't see a lack of playing time.

I must have miss-read the reports. 3 different teams? Isn't that just a little strange?

But I think you are right so long as he is geting 20+ games in a adult league he should be fine. Thats about what Kari got in his draft year.

X-SHARKIE

Bruce Graham....Huge forward with alot of skill, but lacks that nasty edge that could force him into a first round pick..... 2nd round pick worthy. He can use his frame solidly, like in the corners and in front, but I would like to see him hit more,
Very good skater for a 6-6 man...Moves ext remely well and covers alot of ice quickly. He also has a nice wrist shot. Has played well in the playoffs as well. Didn't score in any game i've seen of his but he found his way on the anouncments after goals every time. He's a feared player on the ice, teams seem to really keep a tab on him. He's showing a more creative dimension to him in the playoffs witch I like. He's been more agressive, he's starting to use his body more. He has been crashing the net now and he has created havoc in front of the crease because of it.

Martins Karsums is a small player. He looks small on the ice, and gets pushed around. He is a smart player, but his biggest asset is his skating ability and his vision. He sees the ice extremely well and is great at setting up his linemates for gimme goals. He had 2 beutifull plays in one game alone. He's somthing to watch. He has an awesome shot that many saw U-20. He looks like a Piere Bouchard of the Minnesota Wild kind of player. He's going to have to be taken along slowly.....he needs to bulk up!! But with his vision and creativity, and god given skating skills, he's an offensive force. He also caries a very heavy and accurate shot for a man his size. Unlike Bouchard, Karsums plays with soul. He goes to the net hard, he finishes checks,doesn't avoid trafic areas. Fun to watch.
Small,speedy,creative,sniper..... Good pick up in the 2nd round.

Ryan MacMurchy is alright. I was more impressed with him in his freshman year. He's a hard working player with some upside. He works very hard, and is a beat out there when he wants to be. Likes to hit, and hit alot, but he has a temper with it. Could devolope into a good 3rd liner. He works the boards extremely well.

I havent seen Aki Sitsonen but he sounds like a player who shoots first asks questions later..... I heard his skating his hit and miss... Raw player with good upside according for friends.

Martin Houle is a solid goaltender prospect....has some shaky mechanics though. He moves extremely well and has alot of life to him. Makes me nervous out there...his play has sky rocketed and his stock was soaring untill Fleury came back. Houle has a very good blocker side....his glove is very fast as well. Excelent leg work. He also has seemed to perfect the art of the poke check :) Fun goalie to watch worth a 3rd-4th round draft pick.

Lukas Kaspar in short is a player I like alot and would jump high in the sky if the Sharks could land him late in the 1st round of the 2004 draft :) Very good sized forward, shows powerforward like ability. Very good at checking, obviosly well coached. Although his defensive game lacks. His offensive skills are top notch, expecially his ability to shoot. Scares a goalie in any level with that slap shot...WOWZA .....Could be used much like Owen Nolan is on the PP playing on the hash marks of the circles. Well thats what the Czechs did at the U20. He was very impressive. Good skater, but nothing really special. He goes to trafic areas well and has good vision and seems to be a very heads up offensive player....always finds the right place at the right time....Given time he can shoot the puck right past a goalie even in the NHL. Very talented....Needs to work on defense quite a bit.

RMAC

Jan 28, 2004
Sharkie, I know you are high on Alex Picard, just so others know: he won the Michael Bossy trophy (best prospect in the Q).I've been watching him all year (plays in my hometown) and he has gotten stronger, faster, and smarter as the year passed. Those who think he doesn't play 2-way hockey or that he retaliates have NOT SEEN HIM LATELY!! Some team is going to be very happy with their pick this June! I expect him to go 10-15, we'll see.

X-SHARKIE

RMAC said:
Sharkie, I know you are high on Alex Picard, just so others know: he won the Michael Bossy trophy (best prospect in the Q).I've been watching him all year (plays in my hometown) and he has gotten stronger, faster, and smarter as the year passed. Those who think he doesn't play 2-way hockey or that he retaliates have NOT SEEN HIM LATELY!! Some team is going to be very happy with their pick this June! I expect him to go 10-15, we'll see.

:handclap: agreed....he works his butt off every shift, and shows great leadership qualities. He's got more then offensive talent.

Jarome Iginla ?

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
sharkie i would like to know what u think about wes oneill and aj theilan which one is better

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
:handclap: agreed....he works his butt off every shift, and shows great leadership qualities. He's got more then offensive talent.

Jarome Iginla ?

Really? Iginla to Picard? Are you sure? That has got to be the best reconmindation I have ever heard for Picard....

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its great to see that some others are so high on this kid. When I saw him play I thought of Miro Satan becasue of his hands and shooting but he does bring some more grit to the table. I think that he's a real sleeper in this draft as everyone seems to have him going in the middle of the first round. IMO he's a top 10 for sure, maybe a top five. If I had to make a better comparison now I would say that Satan is a little to soft and Iginla is a better player to think of, maybe Alfie would be a good comparison too.

X-SHARKIE

Sorry I'm about to get my day started....I'll get back to you on Thelen and O'Neil but Thelen is the better prospect of the two......

Iginla wasnt always the phsyical speciman he is and his game has devoloped very well. Picard has that kind of upside.

I'll get back to you on Thelen and O'Neil thoughts :)

bigeasy

Mar 18, 2003
Yankee in South Ga.
Visit site
Jeff Schultz?

I have read so many different evals on schultz - i have seen him rated as high as a 10-15 pick all the way down to the middle and the end of the second round. he is the one guy i see such a wide range of oponions on.

just curious why

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Hey Sharkie, how come no word on Wojtek Wolski? He's projected to land anywhere between the 5th and 9th spots, right? Can we get some info on him? I've heard he's lazy, is this true?

X-SHARKIE

Jeff Schultz.....He's not that big of a deal....People are upsest with size these days. Yes I like his 6-6 215 ish frame......but he's so akward looking out there.....He has the agility of a Beeched whale at times....Big defensman are used to nutralize all sized forwards...yet little ones zoom by him one by one....If you can skate well Schultz is no problem.... it well hurt him in the NHL, I dont see him ever making it. Truth be told though the rest of his game is solid and good.....He excels at one on one battles when his opponents is limited in room to work with....he seems to be able to swallow forwards...I wouldnt take him untill the third round.

Wojtek Wolski is a top 5-10 pick easily....He's got a great frame, 6-3 200 pounds, he has a sick skill level, insanely elusive with his quick and stuttery skating ability, amazing vision and very poised, Smart smart player offensivly, a big guy with uncanny ability in the offensive zone.....LAZY AND SOFT A TEDDY BEAR!! He well take the body somtimes but it's very rare, he goes to trafic, but he doesnt uses his frame along the boards and doesnt dominate like he should....he seems contempt to waite for his linemates to do the hard work...... Wolski looks like he thinks he should be in the NHL already....I would use a pick on him around 6-8 overall IMO.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Jeff Schultz.....He's not that big of a deal....People are upsest with size these days. Yes I like his 6-6 215 ish frame......but he's so akward looking out there.....He has the agility of a Beeched whale at times....Big defensman are used to nutralize all sized forwards...yet little ones zoom by him one by one....If you can skate well Schultz is no problem.... it well hurt him in the NHL, I dont see him ever making it. Truth be told though the rest of his game is solid and good.....He excels at one on one battles when his opponents is limited in room to work with....he seems to be able to swallow forwards...I wouldnt take him untill the third round.

I wonder how low you would have ranked Chara based on awkwardness had you seen him in his draft year.

Personally having seen Schultz I don't see a problem with his agility. His skating seems to be underrated by you from what I saw of him in the playoffs.

I don't really understand your post though, you don't EVER see him making it yet you'd take him in the 3rd round?

DR. Holiday

X-SHARKIE said:
Upside my friend, Upsiiiide. UPSIDE...upside....ok thats enough.

Schultz is a good prospect who has a looooooooong way to go.....I'de take a chance on him in the 3rd round...BOOM OR BUST...But i'm not sold on him.

Now now FDW yes you have seen Schultz live numerous times but the 14 year old X-SHARKIE saw him play on Tv at the prospects game. Hey how can anyone get a better feel for a prospect than watching games on TV. You know that is how the NHL teams do it just watch games on tape.
AT least do some spell check kid.
I bet every scouting report in the nhl fails to mention Schultz's offensive ability just like X-SHARKIE's TV review does.

X-SHARKIE

Dr. Holliday all you do is bash me. Did I affend you once? sorry if I did...but end the feud man. I did see more of Schultz then just at the top prospects game.

Holliday does bring up a valid point. Schultz has been a very solid Powerplay quaterback for the Hitman. He has a very very heavy slap shot from the point, looks like Progner is letting it go. He also moves the puck very safely and well. Doesnt turn over the puck much if at all. His agility may be ugly, but his straite away skating ability is good. He loves to join the rush, and even finds him self deep in the zone at times. He really dominates both infront of his net, and along the boards. So I guess i'm harsh on him...Holliday brings in a good point.

But his agility and all compass movement is bad, and he strugles to move backwars and gets caught flatfooted in his own zone... Send this guy to 2 years worth of skating school and then he's solid.
So yes...i've underated Schultz a bit, I just love a guy who can skate and shutter at a man who cant move....Schultz is a big project with big results....Could be your #1 man but it well take a very very patient team to get there.
2nd round -3rd round and I take back my coment..This guy can play in the NHL.

I'm older then 14 years old btw haha.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
Jeff Schultz.....He's not that big of a deal....People are upsest with size these days.

I really hate when people act like the spelling police.. but... that was a spelling mistake of epic proportions! :teach:

OBSESSED ;)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Now that it looks like the Pens will get Malkin I'm looking to get all of the info that I can on him. I've read your write up on the 1st page, which was great, but I was looking for a player comparison. While I'm pretty sure that you've seen him more than me, I was thinking that he's a Spezza or a taller P. Turgeon type. Please let me know if I'm off base with that and who you would compare him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad