Euro: SF: England v Denmark, 7/7/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think what pisses most of, is England were given EVERY chance to be the better team.

From home advantage, buzzing crowd, to almost no travel, and a Denmark team who were still tired from the fight in Baku.

Kane getting a freekick after falling constantly.

For 70 mins, I don’t think England were the better team at all.

and even if England were the better team the rest of the match, an Iffy pen still f***ed us.
Going to PK would have given us a huge chance.

And, too boot, we had to play with 10 men all 2nd ot half because of an injury.
Yes, I'm seeing a lot of "well, England were clearly the better team anyway." That may have been the case, but it's even less of a reason to need a fradulent penalty awarded to them.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I agree, although the difference with CBs isn't big and probably won't matter with England playing bot Rice & Phillips to protect the central defense.

2-1 for England, winner from a corner/other type of set piece.

Went pretty much as anticipated, although not exactly a set piece, but follow through goal nevertheless.

If not for Schmeichel, England would have won earlier. Denmark lasted a bit longer than Italy yesterday conditionwise, but in the end it was just a matter of time before England scored.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think what pisses most of, is England were given EVERY chance to be the better team.

From home advantage, buzzing crowd, to almost no travel, and a Denmark team who were still tired from the fight in Baku.

Kane getting a freekick after falling constantly.

For 70 mins, I don’t think England were the better team at all.

and even if England were the better team the rest of the match, an Iffy pen still f***ed us.
Going to PK would have given us a huge chance.

And, too boot, we had to play with 10 men all 2nd ot half because of an injury.
9 men.
Poulsen was there.
I don't think I have EVER seen Poulsen make a good play on a football pitch.
Maybe it's just the games I watch, but the guy seem like a big body and that's it. He's not even good in the air.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The Colombia-England match 3 years ago seems to have changed English fortune. The Colombians scored in stoppage time to tie things up and had they won in PKs, we all would have laughed at England for the rest of time for allowing a last minute goal then once again losing in penalties, it would've been a meme till the end

I know they lost to Croatia in the semis but it was the start of England finally playing respectably for the first time since the dark ages

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
I don't know why in every thread you come up with "even the finish tv studio analysts said X".
Are they God or what? :laugh:
I can give you plenty of french TV analysts who say a lot of crap. Finish analysts must be amazing.
Furthermore, they did not say that. They perhaps implied the laser had no effect by saying something like "well, he did look quite focused there".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Went pretty much as anticipated, although not exactly a set piece, but follow through goal nevertheless.

If not for Schmeichel, England would have won earlier. Denmark lasted a bit longer than Italy yesterday conditionwise, but in the end it was just a matter of time before England scored.
Nah, PK shootout and you know what that means.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On another note, I have my first soccer match since before COVID-19 tonight.

It's all about emerging unscathed.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
9 men.
Poulsen was there.
I don't think I have EVER seen Poulsen make a good play on a football pitch.
Maybe it's just the games I watch, but the guy seem like a big body and that's it. He's not even good in the air.
Against lesser sides he is good.

No clue why him and Braith get so
long of a leash.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The fact is when it comes to penalty checks the ref should have to watch it himself. I don't care how much longer it makes the game take. You can't have a game decided like that where the referee doesn't even watch the play again.
It's kind of a joke that you can just go without checking with VAR on a penalty kick in extra time, but you insist on checking multiple replays on offsides. If anything, it should be the opposite. Check every potential foul inside the box with the screen, and with offsides you have one look at one replay and if you can't decide give the benefit to the attacker.

VAR still sucks.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yes, I'm seeing a lot of "well, England were clearly the better team anyway." That may have been the case, but it's even less of a reason to need a fradulent penalty awarded to them.

If they were the better team they would win without that. The way I see it is they can't win a final starting that team they started in this match. These kinds of results are also very bad for the game IMO. When 95% of the people who watched the game are against 5% and the referee is part of the 5%, that's not right.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
God Denmark had everything work against them this tournament and still made it this close. Everyone writing them off over and over. Lost their top player by a fluke first game and should've been given the choice to postpone the match, had a pretty long travel schedule for their match especially to contest this one today, down a man last few minutes and then one of the softest penalties given this Euro...

But I watched the entire match start the finish and you'd be hard pressed not to say England were the better side with the better chances. Denmark maybe seriously threatened once or twice more after that first goal? Also so outmatched if you count player to player especially with no Eriksen.

Gotta tip your hat, amazing Danish performance, shame they didn't make it to the final. England are legitimately a top side at this Euro and are a deserved finalist.

England are not a top side. The stars have aligned for them and they're well organized, but top team they are not.

They had more of the play, as you'd expect at Wembley, but it took a dive for them to beat Denmark. The English media were quick enough to point out Italy's antics. Will they call out Sterling for being the diving cheat that he is?

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Here the two balls right before the penalty. Trying to find the footage of the laser as well.

20210708_005623.jpg

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If they were the better team they would win without that. The way I see it is they can't win a final starting that team they started in this match. These kinds of results are also very bad for the game IMO. When 95% of the people who watched the game are against 5% and the referee is part of the 5%, that's not right.

Denmark barely got a kick for the final 50 minutes of the game. The penalty was iffy but we’d have scored with or without it. You were out on your feet for a good ten minutes at the end.

Reactions: gary69

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Well one thing good about England in the final is that I’m watching the match Sunday with my Irish friend and all his boys so it should be hilarious either way

Reactions: LOFIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad