Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

• Jones

• Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Forwards generally peak in their early 20’s

The issue with this is the fact Laine had limited minutes and has some developemental things he can still improve on(as his body is still underdeveloped with his natural body size and the fact he’s relitevely new to North American hockey).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not a surprise Jones is winning this... Since we're already using stats to compare F to D, it seems noteworthy that Laine didn't score that many more points than Jones. 13? Pretty easy decision..

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Not a surprise Jones is winning this... Since we're already using stats to compare F to D, it seems noteworthy that Laine didn't score that many more points than Jones. 13? Pretty easy decision..

Jones has been playing for how many more seasons? Let’s se what Laine scores as a 23 year old.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jones has been playing for how many more seasons? Let’s se what Laine scores as a 23 year old.

Yes. Maybe he'll get 20-30 points more than defenseman Jones... Still easy for me.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Laine. Younger with more potential. Has started his NHL career much better than Jones has. This one was pretty easy for me.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Seth Jones hasn't had Norris consideration until last year (18th Norris finish) and possibly this year.

Laine has already had goal scoring finishes of 7th and 2nd.

And only 5 other players have been top ten goal scorers as rookies.

I might be wrong, you can fact check below

Hockeycentral | NHL | Records | Rookie Scoring

I know development is not always linear, but what Laine has achieved so far is quite uncommon, especially compared to Jones.

Reactions: StatisticsAddict99

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
And Jones first few years was stuck behind Weber, Suter, Josi & Ellis. His stats wouldn't be that high regulated to the 3rd pairing. Again with the stats crap...Not sure if that was a bad thing though, probably knows as much as any defenseman in the league; learning from them.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
And Jones first few years was stuck behind Weber, Suter, Josi & Ellis. His stats wouldn't be that high regulated to the 3rd pairing. Again with the stats crap...Not sure if that was a bad thing though, probably knows as much as any defenseman in the league; learning from them.

Laine is currently stuck behind Wheeler so it’s not that big of a deal. Somewhat similar situation.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I always think of it this way... You don't find pure snipers in the UFA market like Laine. You can at least sign a decent defenseman but not a Jones-like one. Regardless, it's harder to find pure snipers nowadays. I take Laine by a hair. I love Jones though. Was hoping he'd drop to the Flames in 2013, but that was a pipe dream.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
Reading through the comments. I'm not huge on the "at his age" comparisons. Every player develops in a different way. Some take longer to develop (especially at the D position) and may peak higher than guy who have entered the league on a tear. The fact Laine has had amazing start to his career doesn't mean he will improve as much as some players who have started slowly. He should improve no doubt, but it's not like you should be expecting he will make jumps in production as let's say Kucherov did. Can he become 100 point player? I guess so yes, but it's far from a lock and I would be betting under on that.

Also just because Jones is older than him doesn't mean he's done improving (to be quite frank though he's already extremely good this year was trully his coming out party). Good example of a player that turns into dominant superstar much later than you'd expect is Brad Marchand he was always good but 50ish points good. Then suddenly age 28! season he turns into a scoring machine.

Some people seem rilled up that some of us (majority) would take Jones over Laine, but I think you may not be realizing how special Jones is turning out to be. It is no slack against Laine (a great piece in his own right) to take Jones over him

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t really care if Jones was ring-tailed lemur at age 19 and a magical hockey wizard turned him into the top young defender in the league. I know what he is now, and that’s the best defensive building block in the league until Dahlin proves he’s Lidstrom 2.0 on NHL ice.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights
I always think of it this way... You don't find pure snipers in the UFA market like Laine. You can at least sign a decent defenseman but not a Jones-like one. Regardless, it's harder to find pure snipers nowadays. I take Laine by a hair. I love Jones though. Was hoping he'd drop to the Flames in 2013, but that was a pipe dream.
I would actually argue the counterpoint here. I think it is much easier to find a scoring winger on the UFA market (not sure why this is the basis here, but I will go with it), than a #1 D. There is almost never, unless I am missing someone, a #1 D on the market as a UFA. John Carlson / Kevin Shattenkirk are the closest I can remember, and they are more of a number 2. However, we have seen some fairly high end wing talent hit the market in the last decade or so.

Granted - the wing talent in UFA are usually 60 point forwards at the high end, but that goes for most UFA signings in NHL history. Rare to get a player that can be used as a building block such as Laine or Jones.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would actually argue the counterpoint here. I think it is much easier to find a scoring winger on the UFA market (not sure why this is the basis here, but I will go with it), than a #1 D. There is almost never, unless I am missing someone, a #1 D on the market as a UFA. John Carlson / Kevin Shattenkirk are the closest I can remember, and they are more of a number 2. However, we have seen some fairly high end wing talent hit the market in the last decade or so.

Granted - the wing talent in UFA are usually 60 point forwards at the high end, but that goes for most UFA signings in NHL history. Rare to get a player that can be used as a building block such as Laine or Jones.

They’re both rare to get on the UFA market, but I don’t think I explained myself clearly. It’s waayyy harder to find someone that can pot 40 and potentially 50+ goals on the open market.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nurse is on the rise and looked really good this season and both Klefbkm and Larsson had off years this season but a season before they where both great...
Nurse has the iq of a peanut.... Love when he's on the ice against us.... USA beat Canada because he was on the ice for almost every goal doing something stupid

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Goal scoring is important, but there's more to hockey than scoring goals. Laine brings one thing. Let me know when he gets more than 50 assists (hasn't even reach 30 yet) or he does 50 in 50. All he has proven that he's on the same level as Rick Nash.

I can't imagine what's going on in some peoples head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad