Value of: Sergi Bobvrosky next contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree he might not be willing to go from one small market to another to be in roughly the same spot.. However he would put them over the top I think. Defense is stacked with Bob behind them good luck.

If Svechnikov panes out in this scenario they are very very scary.

They still need a #1 center, if they could win the lottery and land Bob they'd be set

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's a rock and a hard place for whatever team signs him.

He is going to demand $10 million or more most likely. Additionally, unlike Price and Lundqvist, Bobrovsky can land and seriously consider - thereby using as leverage - a huge offer from a team like SKA St. Petersburg. Does he want to go to the KHL? No obviously not. But if a Russian team throws something like $13 - $15 million AAV at him and promises Olympic play, it will serve to increase his cost in the NHL even just a little bit. I say that because that's precisely what he and his agent did last time.

That said, it's going to be highly controversial regardless of who signs him. I look at Bobrovsky as an almost guarantee that your team will make the playoffs. Yeah his playoff stats sucks but I think it is due to sample size and who he is facing. Need more games against a team that doesn't end up winning it all.

It's going to be the following (especially if it is Columbus who signs him):
Others: You guys paid too much for a goalie.
CBJ: Yes but we had to.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is it the defence that falters, or is it Bob letting them down year in year out in the playoffs? Awful playoff stats.
Or is it just running into Pittsburgh/Washington

You're talking about the last 3 cup winners there. Washington also won 2 president's trophy's in that span.

It's not like these are chump teams... In addition to that, Columbus has never been a team that hasn't been without flaws. They have some great players and very good pieces... and in the near future they will likely be a very good team, but they're not there yet.

Reactions: nilssont and Viqsi

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Goalie prospects can be tricky no matter how good they look like. A proven, reliable starting goalie is something teams often spend several years to find.

I know that. My point is that the Jackets are preparing for him to leave. I don't think they want to pay him what he is going to want and I am glad if that is true.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Columbus .... after next year would have had Bob the goalie in net for 8 years.

Change is good.....Give him one more year to get it done. Players play their best in the last year of their contracts b4 they go U.F.A.

Let another team over pay him.... do not make the same mistake Montreal made.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's a rock and a hard place for whatever team signs him.

It's going to be the following (especially if it is Columbus who signs him):
Others: You guys paid too much for a goalie.
CBJ: Yes but we had to.

Pretty much this. You can't not sign him, and he's going to ask for the moon and then some - and you're just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. Because you need him, and he knows it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Change is good.....Give him one more year to get it done. Players play their best in the last year of their contracts b4 they go U.F.A.

I highly disagree with the bolded.

As for letting someone else overpay him... then what? Teams have struggled for years with meh goaltending, and without it you're not going anywhere. Letting someone walk over a contract is fine when you have other acceptable options... However not having a replacement isn't really an option for a goalie - it's just too important a position not to have a quality option there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He does, does he? and you know this before he even coaches a game? Amazing tell me, what are the winning lottery numbers?

Centers can pla wing, wingers cannot play center, if they could Montreal wouldn't be in the spot they are in.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He deserves more then Price because he is better. However price is super over paid so hopefully not team is as stupid as the Habs are.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Same, really wanna see what this man will do behind great defence or defensive system. In last 2 seasons he saved 65 goals above average at ES, the closest guy next to him is Cam Talbot with 25. Bob stats has been insane in last 2 seasons.

Bobrovsky has led the league in Goals saved above average two years in a row now (goals saved above what an average goalie would save given shot location, shooter quality, etc..).

All the talk about how you shouldn't pay goalies, because of inconsistency and how most are not much better than a replacement level goalie, should go out the window when you have someone of the quality of Bobrovsky. He's the second-coming of Hasek, in my opinion, and worth way more than $10m right now - enough to balance the risk of a long term deal at $10m per.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is it the defence that falters, or is it Bob letting them down year in year out in the playoffs? Awful playoff stats.
Or is it just running into Pittsburgh/Washington

The latter.

Viqsi, you should remember this. The Jackets took 28 (28!) penalties in the series against the Capitals. That's about as many penalties as the Knights took in 4 rounds. If the Jackets kept it down to 10 or so they would have beaten the Caps. They were the better team at 5v5.

I don't want to hear anyone talk about Bob's playoff stats, not without acknowledging the amount of PK time. 5v5 he had better sv% versus the Caps than anyone else.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Viqsi, you should remember this. The Jackets took 28 (28!) penalties in the series against the Capitals. That's about as many penalties as the Knights took in 4 rounds. If the Jackets kept it down to 10 or so they would have beaten the Caps. They were the better team at 5v5.

I don't want to hear anyone talk about Bob's playoff stats, not without acknowledging the amount of PK time. 5v5 he had better sv% versus the Caps than anyone else.
That's this year, not prior years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Of course, Jones is a Star Werenski is a 1 and Nutivaara is pretty good. Murray and Savard are pretty average 2nd pair guys.

It's not the quality of the D-men that is a problem for Jackets goalies, it's the safe-is-death system. The high-danger chances against are off the charts.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Whatever it is, it'll be way too much.

I can't understand paying goalies so much of your cap, but then again I'm a Flyers fan so what do I know about goalies.

Reactions: captainpaxil

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You're talking about the last 3 cup winners there. Washington also won 2 president's trophy's in that span.

It's not like these are chump teams... In addition to that, Columbus has never been a team that hasn't been without flaws. They have some great players and very good pieces... and in the near future they will likely be a very good team, but they're not there yet.

Don’t get me wrong, as a Montreal fan I see fans including our own dogging on Price for the playoffs so I know what it’s like. But Bob has been terrible in the playoffs. From terrible goals to below average showings. That being said, even if he was better, the Blue Jackets would be in tough considering the competition in the Metro. But Bob has to win a series. The Blue Jackets have never got a clutch performance out of him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Whatever it is, it'll be way too much.

I can't understand paying goalies so much of your cap, but then again I'm a Flyers fan so what do I know about goalies.

He's bringing the goals against down by about 30 goals per year, under what an average goalie would do. How many players in the league do you think provide the equivalent of 30+ goals above replacement? 2? 3?

Paying Bob is a much better use of cap than paying a guy like JVR.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
It's not the quality of the D-men that is a problem for Jackets goalies, it's the safe-is-death system. The high-danger chances against are off the charts.
Yes, we have 6 great to good "actors" but they play in some bad movie with awful script.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, as a Montreal fan I see fans including our own dogging on Price for the playoffs so I know what it’s like. But Bob has been terrible in the playoffs. From terrible goals to below average showings. That being said, even if he was better, the Blue Jackets would be in tough considering the competition in the Metro. But Bob has to win a series. The Blue Jackets have never got a clutch performance out of him.

He hasn't stolen a series, true.

But he had better 5v5 sv% than Murray, Fleury, or Vasi versus the Caps. His overall sv% is only low because he spent a lot more time shorthanded than those goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad