Value of: Sergi Bobvrosky next contract.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
IMO you shouldn't be paying a goalie enough to have a cap hit reaching 10 million especially one who has been so poor in the playoffs.
Ducks fan right? Gibson had a great RS season this year (robbed for Vezina nom), second best numbers behind Bob, then put 889,sv% and 3.60 GA in Playoffs, why have you extended him for 8 years?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks fan right? Gibson had a great RS season this year (robbed for Vezina nom), second best numbers behind Bob, then put 889,sv% and 3.60 GA in Playoffs, why have you extended him for 8 years?

That was 4 games from Gibson who came back from injury to play in the playoffs from a team that was missing one of their best defenseman (Fowler) and sucked as a team in the playoffs. Gibson has a .912 Sv% in his playoff career while Bobrovsky has .891 Sv% in his playoff career. Gibson re-signed for 6.4 million cap hit that is a good deal less then 10 million so don't know why Gibson is brought up.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
He should go back to philly

Where goalies go to have their careers die....

But seriously, he would look pretty good there. Without looking, I don't know what Philly's cap situation would be though. Would they be able to fit 10+ in?

I think another question is when you look at what happened in Montreal when Price got 10, the team was no longer able to field a competitive team in front of him. (Although MT certainly has as much to do with this as Price's contract)

Reactions: Melrose Munch

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think another question is when you look at what happened in Montreal when Price got 10, the team was no longer able to field a competitive team in front of him. (Although MT certainly has as much to do with this as Price's contract)

Actually it has nothing to do with Price's contract. The Habs are not in cap hell. Their problem is that they don't have good players that are worth paying for. That's why the team sucks.

Price could have signed for $5m per and they would be in basically the same position. Perhaps in five years they'll be through a rebuild and have good enough players that will be costly enough to make the Price contract matter.

Reactions: AngryMoose

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That was 4 games from Gibson who came back from injury to play in the playoffs from a team that was missing one of their best defenseman (Fowler) and sucked as a team in the playoffs. Gibson has a .912 Sv% in his playoff career while Bobrovsky has .891 Sv% in his playoff career. Gibson re-signed for 6.4 million cap hit that is a good deal less then 10 million so don't know why Gibson is brought up.
Small sample size that's why. Gibson played 25 playoff games in his career in - no offence - Pasific and has so so numbers in it, Bob played 24 playoff games, 12 games with Pittsburgh. Check Gibson "career" numbers with Pittsburgh. 889sv% and 3,73 GA, never played them in PO.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Bob is the best Goalieof the past 25 years. Just a shame his teams have been hurt around him in the playoffs and he has lost to 3 cup champs. Anyways he deserves more money then price easily but hopefully takes less. He was an ass the first time dealing around hopefully this time he has a numbet and just wanta that number and will sign. Our team without Bob is a bunble team. We need him more then any other player. Hopefully its 8x8 or 10x5.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Bob is the best Goalieof the past 25 years. Just a shame his teams have been hurt around him in the playoffs and he has lost to 3 cup champs. Anyways he deserves more money then price easily but hopefully takes less. He was an ass the first time dealing around hopefully this time he has a numbet and just wanta that number and will sign. Our team without Bob is a bunble team. We need him more then any other player. Hopefully its 8x8 or 10x5.
The last 25 years? Hasek, Roy, Brodeur were all better than Bob. Bob is amazing but he needs to step up in the playoffs. He chokes hard.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The last 25 years? Hasek, Roy, Brodeur were all better than Bob. Bob is amazing but he needs to step up in the playoffs. He chokes hard.
Those were all at the end of their HOF career if there was cross over but yeah those were all better but bob literally beats eceryone else past them.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sure if there was another hasek in the league I'd pay him 10 mill but as it is now pretty much every goalie plays the same way. So you'll get your money's worth on a 6 mill goalie if you have one of the top fifteen goalies

But:
-the top 5 won't sign anywhere near 6 million, so that's ~10 goalies you're looking at; and
-teams never give up on those top fifteen goalies.

The alternative is hunting for scraps and hoping to uncover a diamond. A few years back, there was a glut of quality starters. Those days are over.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He hasn't stolen a series, true.

But he had better 5v5 sv% than Murray, Fleury, or Vasi versus the Caps. His overall sv% is only low because he spent a lot more time shorthanded than those goalies.

While I can't speak for the Caps, Pittsburgh in 2016 and 2017 were regularly embarrassing some very good goalies, so it's not like it was only Bob who had a poor showing. Lundqvist, Rinne, Bobvrosky, Holtby - all 4 of which are Vezina winners (although Rinne didn't win it until this season).

Personally I never get too worked up about a goalie's performance - especially when discussing a team that still has a couple of holes and some very young players playing key positions. Everyone knows that Bob is a damn good goalie. They need to get him signed, and assuming they do, once PLD and Werenski take another step or two, that should really put them in a better position to have success. Once that happens, then I think we will be in a situation to properly judge Bob and his PO success.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Those were all at the end of their HOF career if there was cross over but yeah those were all better but bob literally beats eceryone else past them.

25 years ago was 1993, so the entirety of Hasek and Brodeur's primes are covered.

Why can't you just think through whether something is true before you hit submit. You're not fooling anyone.

In any case, I think Bob can be that level of goalie, he's incredible.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
While I can't speak for the Caps, Pittsburgh in 2016 and 2017 were regularly embarrassing some very good goalies, so it's not like it was only Bob who had a poor showing. Lundqvist, Rinne, Bobvrosky, Holtby - all 4 of which are Vezina winners (although Rinne didn't win it until this season).

Personally I never get too worked up about a goalie's performance - especially when discussing a team that still has a couple of holes and some very young players playing key positions. Everyone knows that Bob is a damn good goalie. They need to get him signed, and assuming they do, once PLD and Werenski take another step or two, that should really put them in a better position to have success. Once that happens, then I think we will be in a situation to properly judge Bob and his PO success.

I totally agree, except I'm not so confident the Jackets will sign Bob. I think Jarmo won't pay the man, and it's going to be a devastating loss.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Where goalies go to have their careers die....

But seriously, he would look pretty good there. Without looking, I don't know what Philly's cap situation would be though. Would they be able to fit 10+ in?

This will be the first season Price’s contract at $10.5 kicks in. His contract before had nothing to do with the how competitive our team was. In fact it was good value for what he brought. Even now with it being over $10 million, it isn’t effecting the team in anyway because we again have cap space going into the season. How long before it will be a burden is the real question.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wanted a 8 year deal at $9M AAV with Price. It ended up higher than I wanted. 44.15% tax in Columbus vs 53.08 tax in Montreal. I suspect Bob's next contract will be around $9M AAV but depends on how good his next season is.

Also, In order for Bob to take home the exact same clear pay after taxes vs Price's contract ($4.9M), He only needs about $8.7M AAV. Price and Bob will also be the exact same age when their new contracts kicks in... Age 31.

9M AAV is my number for Bob if he re-signs with the Blue Jackets.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wanted a 8 year deal at $9M AAV with Price. It ended up higher than I wanted. 44.15% tax in Columbus vs 53.08 tax in Montreal. I suspect Bob's next contract will be around $9M AAV but depends on how good his next season is.

Also, In order for Bob to take home the exact same clear pay after taxes vs Price's contract ($4.9M), He only needs about $8.7M AAV. Price and Bob will also be the exact same age when their new contracts kicks in... Age 31.

9M AAV is my number for Bob if he re-signs with the Blue Jackets.

Since players don't pay those tax rates, why even mention the subject. This silly subject is never mentioned when MLB and NBA players in Toronto....because it's a non factor, but somehow some many guys on HFB are tax experts. Tax experts? No gross misinformed.
I guess Bob's contract will depend if any team think a goalie, especially Bob is worth to paid as the second most goalie in the league. There just not be many suitors that can afford a 9m cap and how many of the remaining teams think he is worth so much. Admitting it only takes one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since players don't pay those tax rates, why even mention the subject. This silly subject is never mentioned when MLB and NBA players in Toronto....because it's a non factor, but somehow some many guys on HFB are tax experts. Tax experts? No gross misinformed.
I guess Bob's contract will depend if any team think a goalie, especially Bob is worth to paid as the second most goalie in the league. There just not be many suitors that can afford a 9m cap and how many of the remaining teams think he is worth so much. Admitting it only takes one.

An accountant can do similar things in both Montreal and Columbus equally. Are you saying that Price's accountant is better than Bob's accountant? :sarcasm:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
An accountant can do similar things in both Montreal and Columbus equally. Are you saying that Price's accountant is better than Bob's accountant? :sarcasm:

No, it's tax law in both Canada and the US. Athletes are incorporated. "Residence" plays a big part on where personal tax rates are paid. I wish those personal tax rates weren't published. They just have no relevance on what a players take home pay in different jurisdictions .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, it's tax law in both Canada and the US. Athletes are incorporated. "Residence" plays a big part on where personal tax rates are paid. I wish those personal tax rates weren't published. They just have no relevance on what a players take home pay in different jurisdictions .

Keep dreaming that the tax difference between cities in both the US and Canada have no factor. So Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos decide to sign for less than $10M AAV but Tavares takes a pay cut to go to Toronto at $11M. Taxes have nothing to do with it eh. Sure

Kucherov, Hedman, Stamkos are nice guys leaving money on the table eh. That Nylander kid is greedy!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
25 years ago was 1993, so the entirety of Hasek and Brodeur's primes are covered.

Why can't you just think through whether something is true before you hit submit. You're not fooling anyone.

In any case, I think Bob can be that level of goalie, he's incredible.
For some reason in my head I was only goong back to 2000. Thats why I said what I said. You should probably stop reading my posts for a while because for whatever reason you are looking to find something wrong with them and get angry about it.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
You know that Dominik Hasek won 6 Vezina Trophies and back-to-back Hart Trophies in the last 25 years, yes..?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You know that Dominik Hasek won 6 Vezina Trophies and back-to-back Hart Trophies in the last 25 years, yes..?
Yeah I honestly was thinking like 2004 after and didnt realize just how long ago 25yrs was. I should have said post lockout.

I think Hasek is the greatest ever in the history of the game to be clear. Roy is my #2. Marty currently is 3 BUT I think Bob could pass him if he gets another vez and keeps playing like ye has the past 5 year for another 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad