Value of: Sergi Bobvrosky next contract.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He's bringing the goals against down by about 30 goals per year, under what an average goalie would do. How many players in the league do you think provide the equivalent of 30+ goals above replacement? 2? 3?

Paying Bob is a much better use of cap than paying a guy like JVR.

Not if the contract is anything like Carey Price's is, which I'm sure Bob will get.

And I don't think there'll necessarily be 1 player to bring the average down that much, but I can see 2 players doing it that will total up to what Bob's AAV will be. Using JVR isn't fair because they're different discussions in both on-ice roles and most importantly term. JVR is basically a few year rental until expansion.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He hasn't stolen a series, true.

But he had better 5v5 sv% than Murray, Fleury, or Vasi versus the Caps. His overall sv% is only low because he spent a lot more time shorthanded than those goalies.

You’re talking to the wrong guy when it comes to powerhouse teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa. Like I said, I’m a Habs fan, so I also know where to set expectations. It’s a team sport. That being said. Bobrovsky “so far” has been abysmal for the most part. He could change that in the future with Columbus or another team. When it comes to evaluating his personal performance, it’s not good putting it lightly.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You’re talking to the wrong guy when it comes to powerhouse teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa. Like I said, I’m a Habs fan, so I also know where to set expectations. It’s a team sport. That being said. Bobrovsky “so far” has been abysmal for the most part. He could change that in the future with Columbus or another team. When it comes to evaluating his personal performance, it’s not good putting it lightly.

No idea what you are talking about.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Any team that pays a goalie 10 million, or even in the ballpark, is idiotic.

Seeing that you are a Sabres fan, may I ask if you were alive when Hasek was in force? He was worth the rest of the Sabres roster put together.

If you knew beforehand what Hasek was going to do from age 30 to 37, you ought to have been willing to pay at least $15m per season in today's money/cap.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
He could change that in the future with Columbus or another team. When it comes to evaluating his personal performance, it’s not good putting it lightly.
I like that you're ignoring regular season, like PO spot is awarded alphabetical. Anyway this is why he will leave after this season, and it's not about money, he clearly needs a change of scenery. Because he's labeled as a "playoff choker" he's been blamed for Torts failure even this year.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He'll probably get paid a lot and the team signing him will regret it a few years later
Goalies aren't generally worth giant contracts

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Seeing that you are a Sabres fan, may I ask if you were alive when Hasek was in force? He was worth the rest of the Sabres roster put together.

If you knew beforehand what Hasek was going to do from age 30 to 37, you ought to have been willing to pay at least $15m per season in today's money/cap.
Sure if there was another hasek in the league I'd pay him 10 mill but as it is now pretty much every goalie plays the same way. So you'll get your money's worth on a 6 mill goalie if you have one of the top fifteen goalies

Reactions: jetsforever

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Exactly, he'll cost 40% more than JVR, and provide more than 100% more value than JVR.

Why are you using JVR as this example of comparison? It's stupid. I said that in my original reply -- I'm not about to compare the overall goal-saving efforts of JVR vs. Bob. I'm well aware Bob is way better for a team than JVR, but difference is when goalies tank they usually tank hardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

We've seen wingers with pretty bad contracts get unloaded, but goalies are a different story. If Bob gets Price money, I'll take JVR all day every day.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I like that you're ignoring regular season, like PO spot is awarded alphabetical. Anyway this is why he will leave after this season, and it's not about money, he clearly needs a change of scenery. Because he's labeled as a "playoff choker" he's been blamed for Torts failure even this year.

You ignored the part where I said I’m a Montreal fan. That sob story means little when Price deals with the same nonsense in a bigger market.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Why are you using JVR as this example of comparison? It's stupid. I said that in my original reply -- I'm not about to compare the overall goal-saving efforts of JVR vs. Bob. I'm well aware Bob is way better for a team than JVR, but difference is when goalies tank they usually tank hardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

We've seen wingers with pretty bad contracts get unloaded, but goalies are a different story. If Bob gets Price money, I'll take JVR all day every day.
Holtby was overtaken by his backup and then won a cup . But for the blue jackets if they can keep Bob there they should cuz its not like any free agents are lining up.

Even if he ends up only being a great reg season goalie at least he takes them to the ploffs every year

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Holtby was overtaken by his backup and then won a cup . But for the blue jackets if they can keep Bob there they should cuz its not like any free agents are lining up.

Even if he ends up only being a great reg season goalie at least he takes them to the ploffs every year

But there's too many times when goalies who aren't making top dollar win Cups or get to the finals. Goalies in the 10-15 overall rank range win things all the time -- paying a premium for one just isn't necessary if you build differently.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
But there's too many times when goalies who aren't making top dollar win Cups or get to the finals. Goalies in the 10-15 overall rank range win things all the time -- paying a premium for one just isn't necessary if you build differently.
I agree , it's just the blue jackets aren't a team anyone wants to go play for so may as well overpay a goalie that dominates the regular season

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It's not the quality of the D-men that is a problem for Jackets goalies, it's the safe-is-death system. The high-danger chances against are off the charts.
That is a fact. Meanwhile that’s not an issue in Carolina. Bob would kill it there even more than he does in CBus.

Reactions: major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sure if there was another hasek in the league I'd pay him 10 mill but as it is now pretty much every goalie plays the same way. So you'll get your money's worth on a 6 mill goalie if you have one of the top fifteen goalies

I think that Bob is going to be the second coming of Hasek. His performance in the last two years at least is far ahead of the other goalies you are generalizing from. Look at the GSAA column.

Think of the enormity of the mistake the Sabres would have made in 1996 if they said - "yeah he's great and all, but goalies are all basically the same, let's let Hasek walk."

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Bob is the premier goalie in the league. He should be paid like it. The problem is his only comparable is universally decried as a cap cancer. Frankly at bobs age and potential contract you need to extremely flexible cap and team structure to accommodate him. There's really only two teams i see as options. Colombus who already has him and carolina. Of course the lhl option is there and i think far more likely given the limited market

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bob is the premier goalie in the league. He should be paid like it. The problem is his only comparable is universally decried as a cap cancer. Frankly at bobs age and potential contract you need to extremely flexible cap and team structure to accommodate him. There's really only two teams i see as options. Colombus who already has him and carolina. Of course the lhl option is there and i think far more likely given the limited market
If Montreal had been properly building a team around Price they wouldn't be in the situation they're in.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think that Bob is going to be the second coming of Hasek. His performance in the last two years at least is far ahead of the other goalies you are generalizing from. Look at the GSAA column.

Think of the enormity of the mistake the Sabres would have made in 1996 if they said - "yeah he's great and all, but goalies are all basically the same, let's let Hasek walk."
Idk hasek didn't play like any other goalie and other than brodeur who also had an extra skill that set him above you couldn't pass across the crease without hasek touching the puck

I guess thomas was the last goalie to kind of look like hasek when he played and he did have a crazy but short peak but he didn't have the situational awarness hasek did

Also hasek was bringing a team that didn't deserve to be in the playoffs deep constantly while bob has gotten tossed in the first round constantly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad