Eklund Rumor: Sergachev for Bouchard (MOD warning in OP)

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Top-2 and Top-4 D-men are very precious assets. McDonagh is not getting younger.

Correct but how does Tampa move any of those guys (even if they agree to wave their NTC/NMC) if the teams they will wave to can't afford them without cap going back. Which means you'd still have to move more salary to sign those precious assets. No one is gonna want or can afford to take McDonagh being 31 with 6 years left @6.75m.

With Tampa already having a great D-core; moving someone like Sergachev won't hurt as much and the incredible assets that would come back to Tampa in a trade would most likely be worth it. Trade from a strength for weakness. Tampa is a good team because they have great depth. Trading someone like Sergachev helps keep that depth alive and well as the assets from the trade keep that going.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson, Gourde, Palat or Killorn will all go before they touch Sergachev. Cernak and Cirelli are good young (affordable) guys to keep.

NTCs are a real thing though. The first three names on your list have them, and I don't see anyone waiving. Honestly, I don't think we'd trade Palat with a gun to our head.

To me, of the RFAs, Cirelli is the guy to go. If there's absolutely no way out of it. Cernak is cheaper, and losing him would create a big hole on the right side. Cirelli is the better player, no doubt, but the money could get tricky, and he wasn't exactly instrumental in our cup run (likely injured), so it's not like we couldn't do it again without him. That said, we would need a huge return, and teams would/should line up to make offers.

Sergachev is just a no go. I doubt we've seriously entertained a single offer for him.

Jul 6, 2016
Correct but how does Tampa move any of those guys (even if they agree to wave their NTC/NMC) if the teams they will wave to can't afford them without cap going back. Which means you'd still have to move more salary to sign those precious assets. No one is gonna want or can afford to take McDonagh being 31 with 6 years left @6.75m.

With Tampa already having a great D-core; moving someone like Sergachev won't hurt as much and the incredible assets that would come back to Tampa in a trade would most likely be worth it. Trade from a strength for weakness. Tampa is a good team because they have great depth. Trading someone like Sergachev helps keep that depth alive and well as the assets from the trade keep that going.

I can understand that NHL-COVID 19 era would complicate trades because lots of organisations have low revenues and financial capabilities. TB would have to trade Sergachev for a guy like Lafrenière. Rangers have cap space and are a rich team.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I can understand that NHL-COVID 19 era would complicate trades because lots of organisations have low revenues and financial capabilities. TB would have to trade Sergachev for a guy like Lafrenière. Rangers have cap space and are a rich team.

There is no way in hell Tampa would get someone like Lafreniere. Knowing Tampa is in a cap crunch; other GMs are definitely going to be squeezing the trades with teams with high cap. LA is a team that has cap and assets for Sergachev but they also an internal cap because of Covid taking fans away and not earning that extra revenue. Trades are gonna be crazy an lopsided this offseason and next.

Edit: teams will also have to take into account the Expansion draft next season while making these moves. There are way to many factors that will screw over cap strapped teams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He just didn't include the other pieces in the deal. Bouchard, 14th and Lavoie for Sergachev and one of their dumps( Johnson, Palat or Gourde)

I like Sergachev but that is way too much for him unless the salary dump is a guy the Oilers really like Palat who has 2 years left.

Gourde is paid too much for too long and Johnson looks like he is falling off the cliff extremely fast.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
TB isn't trading Sergachev. I think we would lose Cernak and Cirelli as a pair before we gave him up.
Of course he's not going anywhere, Sergachev's on the verge of becoming a core player, and at 22, he'll only get better. BriseBois will explore all possible option not called Point, Vasilevskiy, Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman before dumping a young stud dman for cap-saving purpose, whatever the return is. Heck, McDonagh has a better chance to go than Sergachev.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I've seen expansion mentioned a few times who is Edmonton protecting? I see McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto, Nurse, Klefblom, Bear so far. RNH is a UFA so you could expose him. There's still spots open for 2 more if you go 8 skaters.

They are apparently working on a long term deal wth Nuge right now so add him. Also Larson and Jones.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
That would be a huge steal for the Oilers!
Bouchard kind of sucks

that’s why he’s ranked as the 4th best defensive prospect not in the NHL?

Not sure why the Oilers do this. I think Bouchard out produces Sergachev as a rookie

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
that’s why he’s ranked as the 4th best defensive prospect not in the NHL?

Not sure why the Oilers do this. I think Bouchard out produces Sergachev as a rookie
Sportsnet threw some shade on Bouchard in their most recent article about the Oil. Questioning his development. Made him sound like a stagnating prospect.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sportsnet threw some shade on Bouchard in their most recent article about the Oil. Questioning his development. Made him sound like a stagnating prospect.
Second on his team in scoring in the tier 2 swedish league = stagnated?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I got to hand it to Eklund. This is a smart trade idea. The Oilers are overloaded at RHD, making it hard for Bouchard to break in atm. Klefboms injury opens up a LHD spot, and gives cap space.

Bouchard is a blue chip prospect so if they need to give up Sergachev, it's good to get an ultra talented, cost controlled asset

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I got to hand it to Eklund. This is a smart trade idea. The Oilers are overloaded at RHD, making it hard for Bouchard to break in atm. Klefboms injury opens up a LHD spot, and gives cap space.

Bouchard is a blue chip prospect so if they need to give up Sergachev, it's good to get an ultra talented, cost controlled asset
I think from an oilers perspective its a no brainer. However im willing to bet tampa would much rather get rid of Cirelli and Cernak before Sergachev because your probably losing a Sergachev trade hard no matter what

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think from an oilers perspective its a no brainer. However im willing to bet tampa would much rather get rid of Cirelli and Cernak before Sergachev because your probably losing a Sergachev trade hard no matter what
Sergachev might also be insistent on a big raise, and maybe Cernak and Cirelli would take a shorter bridge.

But yeah I doubt Eklund would know any of that.

Reactions: themelkman

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fyi Sergachev was who the Oilers were going to draft before Puljujarvi surprisingly became available. That's what our media people were implying. So again it's a fun suggestion from Eklund

Reactions: Sweetpotato

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I think some people are getting confused due to Broberg exceeding all expectations. He may have passed Bouchard, but that should be a positive reflection on Broberg, not a negative reflection on Bouchard.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Devils should offer sheet Sergachev. 4 years x 6.5 mil per. Cost in compo is only a 1st and 3rd. I don’t know that Tampa could match that. There’s not much shuffling they could do to fit him in with all the NTC’s on that roster. And the picks could be appealing enough vs the cap gymnastics they’d have to perform to even attempt to fit another 6.5 mil on the roster.

Serg gets a nice pay day AND hits UFA status at the the earliest opportunity.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Second on his team in scoring in the tier 2 swedish league = stagnated?
The selling point when he got drafted was that he was mature physically and either NHL ready or close to.

No one here can say that the following months/years went as expected. He might get to destination but so far he's behind schedule.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The selling point when he got drafted was that he was mature physically and either NHL ready or close to.

No one here can say that the following months/years went as expected. He might get to destination but so far he's behind schedule.
Yeah, couldn't even make the NHL this year, had to go to Sweden.

His development has been just fine. Got a taste of the NHL after being drafted, wen't back to dominating the OHL, and had a very good rookie pro season in the AHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

eklund read it on these boards.

I sndothers have said they trade Sergashev for a strong prospect starting an ELC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad