Eklund Rumor: Sergachev for Bouchard (MOD warning in OP)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is just false and so far from accurate. If Sergachev hits the market he will get overpaid for.
Nah, my opinion is the same as it was back then. Tampa is still in cap hell. If they decide to move him, it'll be because they can't afford him and it'll probably help facilitate a purge of salary commitment. I'm not convinced they'll move him, but I certainly wouldn't expect a windfall for the player.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That doesn't make sense when talking about our RFA's. Johnson, Palat and Gourde, sure. But if we were shopping Sergachev every single team in the league would be lining up with an offer, and the price would be high.
no not every single team in the league. more than half the league is capped out and would nee to make room under the salary cap to acquire sergachev or trade cap back to tampa, which defeats the purpose.
i am not so sure, that teams with cap space will be willing to help other teams to outbid them, if they are interested in sergachev themselfes. obviously edmonton is one of them. remove klefblom, add bear and it will be extremly tight to impossible to fit in sergachev.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The deal actually makes some sense. Sergachev will want 6M so I’m not sure how the Oilers fit him in. Kiss their 1st and a good prospect goodbye to get rid of Neal and Russell.
if they trade bouchard (good prospect) and/or their 1st to gain the cap space, they can't offer them in a trade for sergachev.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The Devils should offer sheet Sergachev. 4 years x 6.5 mil per. Cost in compo is only a 1st and 3rd. I don’t know that Tampa could match that. There’s not much shuffling they could do to fit him in with all the NTC’s on that roster. And the picks could be appealing enough vs the cap gymnastics they’d have to perform to even attempt to fit another 6.5 mil on the roster.

Serg gets a nice pay day AND hits UFA status at the the earliest opportunity.
the devils should do that. but can they can in sergachev's (agent) ears?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
the devils should do that. but can they can in sergachev's (agent) ears?

I think the appeal comes in the form of the 4 year term. He’d be a UFA at age 26, and that term would carry him through the flat cap years to an off-season where the cap may increase.

Obviously he’d prefer to play in Tampa (who wouldn’t), but I can’t see Tampa being able to match 6.5 per and still round out their roster. So if I were to guess, Tampa is probably pitching a 1 yr, 3-4 mil deal where they hope he’ll take it now, then look to get paid later if they can free cap space up next season. If that was intriguing enough, he’d be signed by now. That’s why I think his agent is holding out to see if an offer sheet comes in.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I really hope the Oilers keep Bouchard, even if there a deal where a blue chip defense prospect+ can fetch Sergachev, I hope it’s Broberg they look at swapping (plus the handedness would remain balanced).

Bouchard is going to be the player the Oilers have been wanting for a long time.

Reactions: yababy

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You think Gourde is a 3m player? Okay then.
He his point totals have dropped by 16 & 18 consecutive seasons after that random year and hes 29 now... What exactly would you say a 30-40pt player is worth?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bouchard has proven nothing. Sorry unless there is a massive add by the Oilers I can’t see TB even considering it.
The options are VERY limited for Tampa right now considering they cant take salary back. No team is trading a "proven" playet still on a ELC right now

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think some people are getting confused due to Broberg exceeding all expectations. He may have passed Bouchard, but that should be a positive reflection on Broberg, not a negative reflection on Bouchard.
It’s both. Sportsnet didn’t throw shade in Broberg. They threw it right at Bouchard. Maybe one is doing really well and the other one, gasp, isn’t. Some picks hit and some don’t.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Except that is not the way professional teams operate. They look to improve their team and not try to find a way to hurt other teams instead.

Seems like there is a lot of moves that still need to happen for a lot of teams. Is it possible that they are waiting to see what the cap will actually look like and also to make sure the season goes on next year. Also what the projected cap looks like down the road if they can get any kind of idea of what that would be. Still some things need to happen before we see more deals happen imo.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The Devils should offer sheet Sergachev. 4 years x 6.5 mil per. Cost in compo is only a 1st and 3rd. I don’t know that Tampa could match that. There’s not much shuffling they could do to fit him in with all the NTC’s on that roster. And the picks could be appealing enough vs the cap gymnastics they’d have to perform to even attempt to fit another 6.5 mil on the roster.

Serg gets a nice pay day AND hits UFA status at the the earliest opportunity.
How bout buying 1 yr into FA and give him 5?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Beats me. That he’s playing in the minors in Sweden at 21 is disappointing in and of itself. That’s sub NCAA level hockey.
What league should he be playing in right now while he waits for the NHL to startup?

I'm guessing you don't understand how contracts are working with some of these euro leagues where players are going until the AHL/NHL season starts.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except that is not the way professional teams operate. They look to improve their team and not try to find a way to hurt other teams instead.
I guess that's why Carolina only paid a 1st last year to acquire Patrick Marleau....wait.

Teams in cap hell need help and help actually costs money.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How bout buying 1 yr into FA and give him 5?

Obviously that would make the most sense for the Devils, I was trying to frame the offer sheet around getting Sergachev to sign it and Tampa to walk away. 4 years makes it a little more likely on both fronts.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Sergachev for Hronek (714k caphit) ?

Yzerman comes and saves the day. :)

Gives a needed righty for Tampa.
As a fan of both teams I wouldn't be mad ( for either team)

IMO Hronek is the better player right now. ( as hard as that is to believe)

I think if Serg takes 1 more step he will be the better player by a lot. ( So Detroit would need to add)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Beats me. That he’s playing in the minors in Sweden at 21 is disappointing in and of itself. That’s sub NCAA level hockey.
You dont understand how contracts work in most of these European leagues, do you?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As a fan of both teams I wouldn't be mad ( for either team)

IMO Hronek is the better player right now. ( as hard as that is to believe)

I think if Serg takes 1 more step he will be the better player by a lot. ( So Detroit would need to add)

Detroit's add is the answer for Tampa's cap problem.

Red Wings get the better player on long run, but Tampa has to fix the cap, and Hronek also gives them a Righty to balance those pairings better.

It's a very nice idea-trade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
no not every single team in the league. more than half the league is capped out and would nee to make room under the salary cap to acquire sergachev or trade cap back to tampa, which defeats the purpose.
i am not so sure, that teams with cap space will be willing to help other teams to outbid them, if they are interested in sergachev themselfes. obviously edmonton is one of them. remove klefblom, add bear and it will be extremly tight to impossible to fit in sergachev.
That is definitely tricky. Removing Klefbom does add 4 million in LTIR space, but we were already tight before that. But, that status was unclear for a long while, and so it is possible to push Bear to a short deal around 1.5 for 1 year, and maybe a little less (the likely plan while we assumed that Klefbom might not be out for the season). Then the question is whether we could sign Sergachev for around 4 million, with some term, at least 3 years to coincide with the end of Neal's deal

although, a big factor here might be how the league decides to go with roster size. Usually you have to pay for a couple extra players, but if we go with a taxi squad, teams might get away with an extra 3 million potentially by only applying a skeleton squad to the cap. That might be a decision that Tampa is waiting to see the outcome of

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad