Eklund Rumor: Sergachev for Bouchard (MOD warning in OP)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Looking at Edmonton....

I think Nurse, Klefbom, and Bear get protected
I think Jones is ED exempt
Bro erg and Bouchard are exempt

So acquiring Serg ashev means one of the three is exposed.

They could do 8 skaters and protect 4 with McDonald’s, drainage, and rah getting protected

Any trade proposal with Sergashev or any other Dman that has to be protected, they need to factor in who he is replacing and exposing and losing that player to Seattle or having to give Seattle other picks/prospects to protect them.

It’s the same issue with ADA.

There are some teams they can protect 4D or their 3rd D is much weaker than new player.

The other position is if you have a certain top 3 D you protect and a good 4th D exposed. You can go acquire another D that is similar to who you expose and have a 4A/4B option where both exposed and one is drafted. You don’t have to give up anything to Seattle.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Probably Cirelli first, I'd imagine, which is why I don't think this is legit.

If we lose Cirelli we could move Stamkos to #2 center

If we lose Sergachev, we still have McDonagh, Hedman, Cernak, and Foote ready to step up

We have some options

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Looking at Edmonton....

I think Nurse, Klefbom, and Bear get protected
I think Jones is ED exempt
Bro erg and Bouchard are exempt

So acquiring Serg ashev means one of the three is exposed.

They could do 8 skaters and protect 4 with McDonald’s, drainage, and rah getting protected

Any trade proposal with Sergashev or any other Dman that has to be protected, they need to factor in who he is replacing and exposing and losing that player to Seattle or having to give Seattle other picks/prospects to protect them.

It’s the same issue with ADA.

There are some teams they can protect 4D or their 3rd D is much weaker than new player.

The other position is if you have a certain top 3 D you protect and a good 4th D exposed. You can go acquire another D that is similar to who you expose and have a 4A/4B option where both exposed and one is drafted. You don’t have to give up anything to Seattle.

Presumably if Edmonton acquired Sergachev, they'd trade Nurse or Klefbom for a forward.

Reactions: yababy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers don’t have the cap to pickup Serg for cheap assets. We need our ELC guys. That has more value to us right now in these crazy circumstances.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As a lot of us suspected, the guys were full NTCs don’t want to waive them. I know Tampa fans would be thrilled for a T Johnson to bug off. They probably don’t care if return is a two days opened Pepsi. But what if Johnson won’t waive? What if Groude doesn’t either? Then Tampa reluctantly asks Palat and he say he won’t waive either.

These are not only possible outcomes. They are logical and highly probable.

So now what? Seriously Tampa fans. What happens if none of your full NTC guys won’t waive?

Killorn gets traded. Let’s say to the Preds for 3rd round pick. Also a no tax state. So he’s off the books.

now what? What if Serge or Cirelli or Cernak aren’t interested in leaving several million dollars per year on the table for the next few seasons? What if they won’t sign one year LaBanc type deals?

it’s very possible they’ll be trading a RFA shortly to avoid the OS possibility. This is and always has been the most likely outcome.

not T Johnson doing his ex organization a huge favor to his detriment.

We put Johnson on waivers. If no one claims him he can go ride the bus again in Syracuse. It doesn't save us any money but it sends a message to him. He's already rode the bus in the AHL, been to two Calder finals with one win. He's made 28M so I don't think he wants to do that again. I'm sure he would submit a list of teams after that.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Also, what's with all the quiet on Broberg?
He was supposedly so untouchable as top LD prospect, now that Klef is outta commission til end of next season (ish), he's not good enough to immediately step in.
It would be really stupid if Edmonton would disrupt Broberg's development. They've already made the mistake of bringing in young players too soon for a decade now.

Reactions: bernmeister

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There's no reason for the Bolts to consider something this outlandish before trying to jettison depth forwards with salary like Johnson, Gourde, etc. Sergachev is simply too valuable to swap for a player like Bouchard--who hasn't been able to crack the NHL full-time yet--with deficiencies in his game. I don't buy this rumor at all.

A more "reasonable" rumor would be...

TO EDM
- Sergachev

TO TAM
- Broberg
- 14th overall

Sergachev steps into the Oilers lineup immediately and gets top PP duty and plays 22 minutes a night or more. As a lefty, he eventually forms a very good top pairing with Bouchard (if he reaches his ceiling in a couple of years). Tampa gets a young D prospect who is close--and a Swede who can learn from a mentor like Hedman. They also get a pick in the 1st round.

... and as an Oiler fan I would decline. I feel Broberg has the ability to be a top pairing guy, whereas I see Bouchard as a 2nd pairing guy who QBs your 1PP.

Bouchard +14 for Sergachev, I would do.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We put Johnson on waivers. If no one claims him he can go ride the bus again in Syracuse. It doesn't save us any money but it sends a message to him. He's already rode the bus in the AHL, been to two Calder finals with one win. He's made 28M so I don't think he wants to do that again. I'm sure he would submit a list of teams after that.
That will burn a huge hole in your locker room. Good luck demoting a guy that just played somewhat significant ice time thru the finals just to be sent to the AHL for spite and no other reason. That will play well I’m sure with everyone else on the team and in ALL future negotiations with UFAs and RFAs.

your strategy is called “maybe winning the battle, definitely losing the war”. Good luck with that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Then we let other teams trip all over themselves in the bidding war to get one of our RFA's and trade them away.
Can’t trade them after an OS is signed. So guess what, you can’t do that. Either trade their rights now before it’s free agency or accept whatever OS compensation you’ll get. Won’t be much on Cernak. Better trade him now.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Not the worst I've heard as a basis for serg. I tend to think Tampa tries to unload gourde before serg though, if they can. The curse of being good in the nhl though is that the leauge doesn't want you to be good for too long. A cup is worth it though.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
... and as an Oiler fan I would decline. I feel Broberg has the ability to be a top pairing guy, whereas I see Bouchard as a 2nd pairing guy who QBs your 1PP.

Bouchard +14 for Sergachev, I would do.

Edmonton would have to be sending some cap back the other way if something like this were to go through.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
There's no reason for the Bolts to consider something this outlandish before trying to jettison depth forwards with salary like Johnson, Gourde, etc. Sergachev is simply too valuable to swap for a player like Bouchard--who hasn't been able to crack the NHL full-time yet--with deficiencies in his game. I don't buy this rumor at all.

A more "reasonable" rumor would be...

TO EDM
- Sergachev

TO TAM
- Broberg
- 14th overall

Sergachev steps into the Oilers lineup immediately and gets top PP duty and plays 22 minutes a night or more. As a lefty, he eventually forms a very good top pairing with Bouchard (if he reaches his ceiling in a couple of years). Tampa gets a young D prospect who is close--and a Swede who can learn from a mentor like Hedman. They also get a pick in the 1st round.
No GM would move the 14th and a dman that is going to be just as good.
EDM should not be trading away Broberg or Bouchard. They will be just as good as Sergachev. I could see something like 14th plus another prospect. I would be more interested in Cirrelli I think it is spelt that way

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Can’t trade them after an OS is signed. So guess what, you can’t do that. Either trade their rights now before it’s free agency or accept whatever OS compensation you’ll get. Won’t be much on Cernak. Better trade him now.

Right, when an offer sheet is signed. The crux of your argument is weeks away from potentially happening, if it happens at all. Plenty of time to make hockey trades to teams who want to get better. Not sure why you are trying to create a false sense of urgency, the Lightning aren't scared of letting their players slip to the free agency signing period, knock yourself out if it comes to that.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No GM would move the 14th and a dman that is going to be just as good.
EDM should not be trading away Broberg or Bouchard. They will be just as good as Sergachev. I could see something like 14th plus another prospect. I would be more interested in Cirrelli I think it is spelt that way

:facepalm:

Sergachev is already a top 2/3 defender on a Stanley Cup winner, he'd be a #1 on most teams in this league and only just turned 22. He's well on his way to being a top 10 defender as he continues to develop. Bouchard and Broberg have 7 NHL games between them, they are far from sure NHL stars. Every GM in this league not weighed down by cap would seriously consider making that trade.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Right, when an offer sheet is signed. The crux of your argument is weeks away from potentially happening, if it happens at all. Plenty of time to make hockey trades to teams who want to get better. Not sure why you are trying to create a false sense of urgency, the Lightning aren't scared of letting their players slip to the free agency signing period, knock yourself out if it comes to that.
and that’s very bold. Tampa has two players that are perfect for the Avs. Cirelli and Cernak. The Avs have 24mm in cap space. They’ll be great next season and have all their 2021 picks. Losing a low 1st round pick plus some low mid round picks to steal Cirelli or Cernak is just fine with them. The Avs purposefully didn’t trade away 2021 picks at the deadline to be able to use the offset sheet. And Tampa has two guys that are perfect for this. Just perfect. The. C19 hit and it made even less money available for Tampa to play with. Ouch.

good team, low tax state, key role. If you think Cirelli or Cernak leave millions per year on the table to take a crappy deal from Tampa’s GM. That is exactly the kind of cockiness that plays into Sakics hands. He’d love to use the OS and just watch 2021 picks go the other way.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That only makes sense if the Oilers would be the only interested team.
Spoiler alert: they won’t be.
If teams are smart, they'll sit and wait to see what the Lightning do. Personally I don't see it being necessary to flip Sergachev, but like I said, they need to get their house in order.

Why would a team pay more than the offer-sheet compensation today? Teams that have the ability to take back more salary could squeeze them.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If teams are smart, they'll sit and wait to see what the Lightning do. Personally I don't see it being necessary to flip Sergachev, but like I said, they need to get their house in order.

Why would a team pay more than the offer-sheet compensation today? Teams that have the ability to take back more salary could squeeze them.
If teams are smart they will do what’s best to improve their team. Considering they will be bidding against multiple teams for his services a GM will likely be forced to outbid the other guys. If it’s Sergachev he will go for a fair price imo.
Generally it’s only players with no trade clauses that can drive down their value by limiting the teams they will accept a trade to.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
and that’s very bold. Tampa has two players that are perfect for the Avs. Cirelli and Cernak. The Avs have 24mm in cap space. They’ll be great next season and have all their 2021 picks. Losing a low 1st round pick plus some low mid round picks to steal Cirelli or Cernak is just fine with them. The Avs purposefully didn’t trade away 2021 picks at the deadline to be able to use the offset sheet. And Tampa has two guys that are perfect for this. Just perfect. The. C19 hit and it made even less money available for Tampa to play with. Ouch.

good team, low tax state, key role. If you think Cirelli or Cernak leave millions per year on the table to take a crappy deal from Tampa’s GM. That is exactly the kind of cockiness that plays into Sakics hands. He’d love to use the OS and just watch 2021 picks go the other way.

Interesting, lets see how it goes. We let Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, etc. make it to the offer sheet signing period, I don't see JBB quivering at the thought of losing our current batch RFA's.

I highly doubt the landscape remains unchanged before then however. The Lightning are likely to be major players at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad