Eklund Rumor: Sergachev for Bouchard (MOD warning in OP)

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If love to add Sergachev but a deal this would be incredibly short sighted and illogical for Edmonton considering the state of the Oilers right defense and cap situation.

Bouchard will step into the Oilers bottom pair next season and likely be a top 4 guy in the near future and will just be starting his ELC.

So it's not just a question of who's the better player but the consideration of the value of the 950k for three years unless he hits his bonuses vs however much Sergachev makes which is why moving Bouchard for Sergachev or OEL or whoever doesn't really make any sense for Edmonton at this point.

Not arguing if it's worth it for not for Tampa because it's irrelevant to my point.

He's also expansion exempt and obviously Sergachev is not.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
If love to add Sergachev but a deal this would be incredibly short sighted and illogical for Edmonton considering the state of the Oilers right defense and cap situation.

Bouchard will step into the Oilers bottom pair next season and likely be a top 4 guy in the near future and will just be starting his ELC.

So it's not just a question of who's the better player but the consideration of the value of the 950k for three years unless he hits his bonuses vs however much Sergachev makes which is why moving Bouchard for Sergachev or OEL or whoever doesn't really make any sense for Edmonton at this point.

Not arguing if it's worth it for not for Tampa because it's irrelevant to my point.

He's also expansion exempt and obviously Sergachev is not.
If Bouchard played in the Ahl last year why is one of his three years not burnt already?

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As a lot of us suspected, the guys with full NTCs don’t want to waive them. I know Tampa fans would be thrilled for a T Johnson to bug off. They probably don’t care if return is a two days opened Pepsi. But what if Johnson won’t waive? What if Groude doesn’t either? Then Tampa reluctantly asks Palat and he say he won’t waive either.

These are not only possible outcomes. They are logical and highly probable.

So now what? Seriously Tampa fans. What happens if none of your full NTC guys won’t waive?

Killorn gets traded. Let’s say to the Preds for 3rd round pick. Also a no tax state. So he’s off the books.

now what? What if Serge or Cirelli or Cernak aren’t interested in leaving several million dollars per year on the table for the next few seasons? What if they won’t sign one year LaBanc type deals?

it’s very possible they’ll be trading a RFA shortly to avoid the OS possibility. This is and always has been the most likely outcome.

not T Johnson doing his ex organization a huge favor to his detriment.

Last edited:
Reactions: axlrose87

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Bouchard played in the Ahl last year, so one of his three years is burnt already.

No it was a slide year. Bouchard has one of those birthdays that falls in the range where he can play in the AHL or jr for his second slide year.

You can check cap friendly if you want a source.

Yamamoto was in the same position but of course the Chiarelli Oilers decided to burn the year before sending him to Bakersfield. Wasted a slide year for 8 extra games. I can't think of anything more Peter Chiarelli than that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Late Rumor: Sergachev to Oilers for Bouchard (e4). Dubnyk to San Jose?
pretty fair deal if it was true as Bouchard is under ELC and is a right shot puck moving dman.
Thoughts

Bouchard could be a base, but 1:1 does not = Serg.

Also, what's with all the quiet on Broberg?
He was supposedly so untouchable as top LD prospect, now that Klef is outta commission til end of next season (ish), he's not good enough to immediately step in.

The deal actually makes some sense. Sergachev will want 6M so I’m not sure how the Oilers fit him in. Kiss their 1st and a good prospect goodbye to get rid of Neal and Russell.
Serg gets 6.5 min if anything other than a short bridge, and that will save now but huge cost later.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
In a world where there is no salary cap or expansion draft I'd be all over this.
But, if I were the Oilers i would pass.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Sergachev will be traded somewhere before some team can offer sheet him.
I agree with this and I also think there is a good chance Cirelli is traded as well. There are just too many teams with Cap issues that are going to be moving big name guys that will prevent Tampa from Moving enough Cap out on players they would want to trade. I am in no way saying that the Oilers would have a dog in the race either because they will not let go of what it would take to get Sergi.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Bouchard could be a base, but 1:1 does not = Serg.

Also, what's with all the quiet on Broberg?
He was supposedly so untouchable as top LD prospect, now that Klef is outta commission til end of next season (ish), he's not good enough to immediately step in.

Serg gets 6.5 min if anything other than a short bridge, and that will save now but huge cost later.
If your #1 defender goes down, are you seriously saying you would replace him with a guy that has practiced with the team like maybe 20 times??

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
There's no reason for the Bolts to consider something this outlandish before trying to jettison depth forwards with salary like Johnson, Gourde, etc. Sergachev is simply too valuable to swap for a player like Bouchard--who hasn't been able to crack the NHL full-time yet--with deficiencies in his game. I don't buy this rumor at all.

A more "reasonable" rumor would be...

TO EDM
- Sergachev

TO TAM
- Broberg
- 14th overall

Sergachev steps into the Oilers lineup immediately and gets top PP duty and plays 22 minutes a night or more. As a lefty, he eventually forms a very good top pairing with Bouchard (if he reaches his ceiling in a couple of years). Tampa gets a young D prospect who is close--and a Swede who can learn from a mentor like Hedman. They also get a pick in the 1st round.

Reactions: yababy and _Del_

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
As owner of serg in a dynasty league this would be one of the few places I'd like to see serg go. He could run a pp that includes mcdavid and draistl...

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Sergachev isn't getting full value in a trade. Tampa wants salary help? f***'em.
Ummm but don’t the oilers desperately need help on defence?
You are going to bite the hand that feeds to avoid helping a team in another conference?
Wouldn’t they just look elsewhere then? Leaving you with nothing.
Markstrom and Ekman-Larsson have already said no to Edmonton. Now you want to say no to players that are attainable?
Strange.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’ve said in other threads that I could see Tampa trading Sergachev for a Dman starting their ELC.

The issue is the team acquiring not have to lose another D in ED.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
As has been said already, this screws the Oilers in the expansion draft.

14OA + Bouchard + Lavoie are all exempt. Sergachev needs to be protected.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
As a lot of us suspected, the guys were full NTCs don’t want to waive them. I know Tampa fans would be thrilled for a T Johnson to bug off. They probably don’t care if return is a two days opened Pepsi. But what if Johnson won’t waive? What if Groude doesn’t either? Then Tampa reluctantly asks Palat and he say he won’t waive either.

These are not only possible outcomes. They are logical and highly probable.

So now what? Seriously Tampa fans. What happens if none of your full NTC guys won’t waive?

Killorn gets traded. Let’s say to the Preds for 3rd round pick. Also a no tax state. So he’s off the books.

now what? What if Serge or Cirelli or Cernak aren’t interested in leaving several million dollars per year on the table for the next few seasons? What if they won’t sign one year LaBanc type deals?

it’s very possible they’ll be trading a RFA shortly to avoid the OS possibility. This is and always has been the most likely outcome.

not T Johnson doing his ex organization a huge favor to his detriment.

Then we let other teams trip all over themselves in the bidding war to get one of our RFA's and trade them away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad