TSN: Seravalli: Flames trying to get a right-shot winger

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't agree La could use the roster spot. I pick is a good return on a player that is close to being waived

Use the roster spot for who? He has been a healthy scratch for forever so who would you rather have eating popcorn?
I would like to see Amadio sit and Luff come in (not as a center Carter would move to 3rd line C).

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Personally I think it makes sense. Might be one of those where you expand it so the Flames are sending a lesser forward and the Habs send back a lesser D..

Hanifin
Bennett

for

Gallagher
Mete/Kulak

?

I'd probably do that for kulak (or chiarot if you want). If its not chiraot we would need retention on Bennett for this year though. Hurts to let go of Gallagher, but we need a shake-up and it also opens room for caufield when he's ready (should be soon).

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Gallagher has a full NMC and hasn't even started his 6 year extension with the Habs, he isn't being moved

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Use the roster spot for who? He has been a healthy scratch for forever so who would you rather have eating popcorn?
I would like to see Amadio sit and Luff come in (not as a center Carter would move to 3rd line C).
Amadio and the kid who comes up replaces amadio Luff will be in tonight according to the mayor. Its only a matter of time till hes gone. When Jad gets healthy you got to think its down to him or amadio to be waived .

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Amadio and the kid who comes up replaces amadio Luff will be in tonight according to the mayor. Its only a matter of time till hes gone. When Jad gets healthy you got to think its down to him or amadio to be waived .

I would waive amadio

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Not crazy at all about that proposal, but since Gallagher is from Alberta, I think he might waive his NMC if Calgary is the destination.
I can't see it, life long Hab and they definitely aren't rebuilding. If he wanted to go out west, he wouldn't have signed the contract.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Just out of curiosity what would you offer for Donskoi?
Good question - the problem is Calgary doesn't have a player like Donskoi which makes him appealing. Calgary has better players that could be traded but Avs would have to sweeten the pot a bit. Calgary could also lesser players and a pick, or a prospect and a pick. Hell, I might trade Bennett for Donskoi if it were straight across but i don't see the Avs taking that.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I counter with Bennett + 2nd for Rakell. Flames can't be trading their first this year with our inconsistent team/shit division.
Where is the value in Bennett? Over the past 4 seasons he has gone for 26 pts, 27 pts, 12pts (19pts over 82 pace) and 4 pts (15 over 82 pace). In that same time frame he is a -35. Yes he has some grit and has had some decent playoff scoring (0.6 pts/gm) but his regular seasons have been very underwhelming. A middle of the round 2nd is a 40% chance at an NHLer. Bennett is also old enough that he is what he is he is not that high potential prospect teams look for. If I'm the Ducks and we have Rakell signed through next season as well, I'm in no hurry to move him for Bennett and a 2nd. If he can't get a 1st or a much better prospect, the Ducks need to keep him until the off season when the expansion draft has happened and teams are looking to improve or add something they lost in the Ex draft.

Reactions: 37 others

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Armia?

Armia(2'600'000/per 1y, 26yo) and Danault(3'083'333/per 1y, 27yo)

for

Dube(778'333/per 1y,22yo) and Backlund (5'350'000/per 4y, 31yo)

Cap works. Danault will earn more or less Backlund's money on his new contract even tho he is younger and better. Armia is a right hand shot winger who is a big body that plays possession on a middle6 but doesnt fit MTL's playstyle anymore. Dube is a nice fit on the Habs and for the young core pushing foward.
I will give you that Danault is younger, what evidence is there that Danault is better? Both play a very sound defensive game, both PK, Backlund is better offensively gets more PP time, has 3 20+ goal seasons 5 40+ point seasons, Danault has 0 20 goal seasons and 2 40+ point seasons. This year Backlund is on a 42 point over 82 pace, Danault is on a 30 point pace over 82. Danault is better at face offs - so there's that. Danault is an expiring contract that has already turned down a $5 per long term deal so he comes with a lot of uncertainty where as Backlund is signed for 3 more seasons. I also would not trade Armia, an upcoming free agent for a 22 year old that is producing at the same level. This would be a bad trade all in all for the Flames.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Compher is a cap dump at this point.
His contract relative to his play is pretty much the same as Bennett’s.

950K in the difference but Compher outscores Bennett every year.

I understand if it’s Compher for a draft pick or something but the Avs would be taking back Bennett’s contract in this deal too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think that is a fair argument when we are discussing Bennett. I would be ok with a 1 for 1 swap

His contract relative to his play is pretty much the same as Bennett’s.

950K in the difference but Compher outscores Bennett every year.

I understand if it’s Compher for a draft pick or something but the Avs would be taking back Bennett’s contract in this deal too.

After this season Compher has another 2 seasons at 3.5m. That’s a hard pass.

I don’t disagree that Bennett is the lesser forward, but contracts included I give the edge to Bennett.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
After this season Compher has another 2 seasons at 3.5m. That’s a hard pass.

I don’t disagree that Bennett is the lesser forward, but contracts included I give the edge to Bennett.
I mean that’s market value. Bennett will likely command something close.

It’s fine if you simply don’t like the swap, but to call JTC “just a cap dump” in a hypothetical trade for Sam Bennett is silly when there’s 950k in the difference with Compher being the better hockey player. If Compher’s a cap dump so is bennett.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

It’s fine if you simply don’t like the swap, but to call JTC “just a cap dump” in a hypothetical trade for Sam Bennett is silly when there’s 950k in the difference with Compher being the better hockey player. If Compher’s a cap dump so is bennett.
As mentioned its not the $950k this season, its the next 2 years where Compher's contract becomes less enticing. With Bennett, if he doesn't accept a contract more in line with his play ($1.5ish) you can let him walk. With Compher you don't have the same flexibility.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Pretty sure we can get someone cheaper for what Compher AND Bennett bring. Compher has looked checked out (and verified by your own fans) that he hasn’t been the same since signing his contract. Not a fan. There’s a reason why his name is brought up, Avs fans would like to rid of those remaining 2 years

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pretty sure we can get someone cheaper for what Compher AND Bennett bring. Compher has looked checked out (and verified by your own fans) that he hasn’t been the same since signing his contract. Not a fan. There’s a reason why his name is brought up, Avs fans would like to rid of those remaining 2 years
Avs fans would actually love to keep Compher but we just want him to be used at RW where he thrives. The killer with Compher is that they keep playing him at centre where he sucks. He’s a great middle six winger who flys up the walls in a heavy north-south game averaging 16 goals and 35 points/82 over the last 3 years. His usage has been what makes us pull out hair out.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Avs fans would actually love to keep Compher but we just want him to be used at RW where he thrives. The killer with Compher is that they keep playing him at centre where he sucks. He’s a great middle six winger who flys up the walls in a heavy north-south game. His usage has been what makes us pull out hair out.

Hmm, maybe there is a fit. I would like retention though. Not 50%, but something around the 10-15% range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad