TSN: Seravalli: Flames trying to get a right-shot winger

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
McDavid's +/- is heavily impacted by SH and EN goals against considering the fact he's out there for essentially 100% of the time in those situations. He's a consistent outscorer at 5v5. If he wasn't, the coach would have some questions to answer.

Connor McDavid didn't have to be a cherry picker. His ability to accelerate at an all-world level and maneuver with the puck at high speeds makes him the most dangerous individual player in the league to defend against.

A cherry-picker would cheat offensively, McDavid would never have to.
NO. special teams doesn't count against +/-. EN does. McDavid isn't great defensively and he doesn't play much SH. Everyone without blinders can see that. His +/- is not great considering his point totals. he is dangerous in all situations though, i will agree with you there.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Given Sutter's hiring, how about Dustin Brown?
I think Brown hates Sutter. Also, not sure who the Flames could send back that would make sense given Brown's contract.

Geekie is interesting. What's holding him back at the NHL level?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
NO. special teams doesn't count against +/-. EN does. McDavid isn't great defensively and he doesn't play much SH. Everyone without blinders can see that. His +/- is not great considering his point totals. he is dangerous in all situations though, i will agree with you there.
When a team's powerplay gives up goals, those are called short-handed goals. And they definitely count against a player's +/-.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think Brown hates Sutter. Also, not sure who the Flames could send back that would make sense given Brown's contract.

It was a joke precisely for that very reason :)

Reactions: Bond

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Nothing really, except he still needs to work on his skating some. He's an NHL player right now, though. Carolina's simply a Cup contender that has no room for him right now except on the 4th line, where he isn't the best fit. Calgary, OTOH, has a glaring need at right wing where Geekie should become a fixture in.

Reactions: Bond

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I'm gonna guess that Aho/Trocheck/Staal at C and Teravainen/Necas/Fast on RW are the biggest factors for Geekie not getting a ton of NHL time. He is a middle 6 type player so the 4th line isn't really his style. The only player I could see him usurping right now is Fast, but he's a recent UFA signing, so he will be given some rope.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
AFAIK Tre has already expressed he has no interest in Jake
Pretty sure he said he no interest in Jake for Bennett, not Jake himself....which might not be so bad. A sick part of me is curious to see what Darryl could do with him.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Flames want a right shot right winger. Voracek isn't that. Also why would the Flames trade one of the top left wingers in the game, who is entering his prime (27 yrs old) , for a 31 year old that is locked into a very high cap hit for the next four years?

Cause Voracek sucks and Flyers want to rid his contract?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Oh great trade our potential lottery pick to try and save your job. Thanks Treliving.

we haven’t even tried Matt Phillips
Phillips looks pretty ridiculous for the Heat. Complete driver of Stockton's offense from what i've seen against the Marlies. Surprised he hasn't been given a shot yet. Very diminutive but changes direction on a dime, hard to catch physically.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Voracek and Patrick for Looch and Bennett :thumbu:

Patrick has far more upside than Bennet although there's a serious injury liability with Patrick.

Voracek has like 100000x the value of Looch who is literally an anchor.

CGY would have to add and retain on Looch as Flyguys are technically cup contenders now although I don't think they're close (Fly fans will whine and cry but they're wrong - this team is not beating Boston or Tampa)

Phi: Looch ($1m retained), Bennet, Zary, CGY 1st 2022

Cgy: Voracek, Patrick

Zary may pan out to be solid Mid 6 and/or 2/3C but he's few years away. Bennet is cost effective 3/4C and won't need a year off from headaches. Looch is...well...serviceable 4W with a couple years left. Flyers also have to protect Looch for expansion draft which will cost Flyers another asset...

Calgary gets to try and develop #2 OA Patrick into the player he could be. Voracek also gives them immediate help which is important because Gaudreau may not be resigning. Acquiring Voracek shows Johnny Hockey CGY wants to win and gives CGY backup plan in case Johnny doesn't want to resign although CGY should def move Gaudreau if he doesn't resign this offseason.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Patrick has far more upside than Bennet although there's a serious injury liability with Patrick.

Voracek has like 100000x the value of Looch who is literally an anchor.

CGY would have to add and retain on Looch as Flyguys are technically cup contenders now although I don't think they're close (Fly fans will whine and cry but they're wrong - this team is not beating Boston or Tampa)

Phi: Looch ($1m retained), Bennet, Zary, CGY 1st 2022

Cgy: Voracek, Patrick

Zary may pan out to be solid Mid 6 and/or 2/3C but he's few years away. Bennet is cost effective 3/4C and won't need a year off from headaches. Looch is...well...serviceable 4W with a couple years left. Flyers also have to protect Looch for expansion draft which will cost Flyers another asset...

Calgary gets to try and develop #2 OA Patrick into the player he could be. Voracek also gives them immediate help which is important because Gaudreau may not be resigning. Acquiring Voracek shows Johnny Hockey CGY wants to win and gives CGY backup plan in case Johnny doesn't want to resign although CGY should def move Gaudreau if he doesn't resign this offseason.
Nope. At this point, I think there's some serious doubt about Patrick's ability to reach that potential. Max id offer for Patrick is Bennett(50% retained) and a conditional 1st, that turns into a 2nd if Bennett hits 20 points. No interest in Voracek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad