TSN: Seravalli: Flames trying to get a right-shot winger

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Well, I stated a case proving Rust wasn't just some guy sitting in the minors at their age. Don't get all offended on my account proving that fact.

Similar numbers as of this year? A team playing bad... now picking up?

You have seen Rust's numbers, right? Not just this years. And Rust wasn't "always on the top line(s)." 16'17 and 17/18 he wasn't. Regular season. That spot was filled by Kessel, and Sid's was filled by Simon.

It's also proven the top 5 stars just don't make every player more than they are already, because if they did, Rust would have been closer to a point per game a lot sooner. So, as things go, you'd be looking for a guy like Rust if you were a playoff or cup contender, and most certainly you'd move one for his services, but Calgary is not, so in comes not moving them for high prices. Same as not for Rakell, who'll probably be at equal or--->more than Rust.

I understand your end. You just wouldn't get Rust cheap either. No matter the age, no matter the fact Mang is having a good year from the 3rd line...

I didn't make any offers in here. You have to see that...
You can’t still be arguing Rust has more value than Mangiapane... right?

Player A: 3.5 million aav, 28 years old
8 goals, 10 assists, 19:49 min TOI
Most common linemate: Crosby

Player B: 2.42 million aav, 24 years old
8 goals, 5 assists, 17:42 minutes TOI
Most common line mate: Backlund

Things rust has going for him: 5 assists

Things Mangiapane has going for him: 4 years younger, roughly 30% cheaper, 2 minutes less per game to produce, playing with a 40-50 point centre instead of a 80-100 point centre

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Strome in NYR has played RW. Not sure what New York would want from CGY (I say that genuinely, as I don’t catch Calgary games, so I don’t know how things would line up).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can’t still be arguing Rust has more value than Mangiapane... right?

Player A: 3.5 million aav, 28 years old
8 goals, 10 assists, 19:49 min TOI
Most common linemate: Crosby

Player B: 2.42 million aav, 24 years old
8 goals, 5 assists, 17:42 minutes TOI
Most common line mate: Backlund

Things rust has going for him: 5 assists

Things Mangiapane has going for him: 4 years younger, roughly 30% cheaper, 2 minutes less per game to produce, playing with a 40-50 point centre instead of a 80-100 point centre

And one less game.

If he's so... great... and he has such value, why is he not in your top six every game? Rhetorical ...

If you don't know why Rust holds more value and can't dissect those reasons, and just hold to just Crosby's his center? There's no helping you.

Please, Mangiapane is a good player, it comes down to whether they are a contender or not. Do they need that RHS on their top line(s) or not. Do they need it right now to pay that price bad enough? The answer is no.

Not enough right now to push for such expensive players, because teams want more than just a top prospect and in fact RHS do hold more value and will come at a premium.

Good luck on your search.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
And one less game.

If he's so... great... and he has such value, why is he not in your top six every game? Rhetorical ...

If you don't know why Rust holds more value and can't dissect those reasons, and just hold to just Crosby's his center? There's no helping you.

Please, Mangiapane is a good player, it comes down to whether they are a contender or not. Do they need that RHS on their top line(s) or not. Do they need it right now to pay that price bad enough? The answer is no.

Not enough right now to push for such expensive players, because teams want more than just a top prospect and in fact RHS do hold more value and will come at a premium.

Good luck on your search.
Are you asking why Mangiapane is not currently a better left wing than Tkachuk and Gaudreau?

And are you also seriously stating that playing full time with Crosby and Guentzel is not at all a better environment for piling up points than with Backlund and Lucic, and then add on top of that there’s no helping me if I don’t believe that? That’s not rhetorical at all by the way, I would love to hear you tell me how a player should produce the exact same playing with the best centre of a generation and a 40 goal scorer as he would playing with a 40-50 point C and Milan Lucic.

RHS do come at a premium you’re right, so does getting a player 4 years younger and saving cap space. Why this matters I don’t know, because Bryan Rust doesn’t get you Mangiapane let alone an add.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I remember when Buchnevich was widely available from a Rangers perspective. He’s exactly what CGY is looking for, but at this rate, I’m sure the price is sky-high and he’s not as available as he once was prior.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Ah, he’s a RW with a left shot. Buchnevich is still leaps and bounds better than any of the RWs you have.

What he is saying is that the Flames are looking for a right-handed shot who can play RW. Their best RW is Lindholm, but he has shifted to C and I don't see him moving back any time soon. That leaves Leivo and Ritchie which is just sad. If Calgary wants a left-handed shot at RW, they would would shift Tkachuk there.

Ledge And Dairy

Ah, he’s a RW with a left shot. Buchnevich is still leaps and bounds better than any of the RWs you have.
Well that depends on who our RW's are because its changed all season long. Bennett, Ritchie, Leivo, Simon? Sure Buch is obviously better. Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube? No Buch is definitely not "leaps and bounds better" there. Regardless Calgary is specifically looking for a right handed shot because they want to keep Lindholm at center and the next best RHS winger is Leivo. So Buch is not who they would be after, especially since his price will be far too high

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe Calgary just promotes smurf Matthew Phillips. I also think Ritchie will find a home playing RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. Bottom line is I can't seem them going out an acquiring a top 6 RW during the season unless they're real close to the play-offs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe Calgary just promotes smurf Matthew Phillips. I also think Ritchie will find a home playing RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. Bottom line is I can't seem them going out an acquiring a top 6 RW during the season unless they're real close to the play-offs.

Have to revisit this in a couple weeks.
They have 11 games until the end of March. If they go like 7-2-2 I could see them trying to snag a player for a run.

if they go 4-4-3 then I doubt we see them do anything.

Ledge And Dairy

God I hope Ritchie isn't a permanent thing there. He's an improvement on Simon but that's like saying a warm body is an improvement on a pylon. Ritchie played ok last game but all he's really good for is hitting

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hitting creates room to manoeuvre. Not every RW needs to be a sniper. Still, my mouth waters at the prospect of two talented smurfs on either side of Monahan. They would have the potential of driving a few d-men to early retirement!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad