Sens players caught ripping coaches, laughing about team on video

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sad? How many players on other teams do this? You sound like speaking up to your coaches is a common thing. How often do you walk into your boss's office and tell him he's doing something wrong?

I do. It's a two way street.

I've done it to bosses (it's called a review), and I've done it to professors.

If it is constructive then both sides can work well from this.

There is no reason to put anyone on a pedestal.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel bad for Sens fans and honestly the players as well. First, this shouldn't have been released, although admittedly I love seeing this type of "insider" stuff, and they almost guaranteed, didn't say anything that even the best in the world of hockey haven't said before. I also don't like that people are blaming Duchene and saying things like he is a cancer as that isn't fair here, all of them, minus maybe 1 or 2 said and were in on the bashing here, he wasn't even the leader as that seemed to be Chris Wideman.

People in all forms of everything related to having coaches, bosses, teammates, co-workers, etc, have complained ad nausea um (correct spelling?) about each other worldwide, so this is nothing new at all. You think the greats like Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Messier, Jagr and on and on didn't do any of this, you bet they did, par for the course, when you are losing and spend a lot of time with someone, you are going to grind each others gears.

Only difference here, is they were likely drinking (most of them anyway) and forgot where they were when they did it, and unluckily for them, they had a somewhat unscrupulous Uber driver who had no problem sharing a private unknown to them taped/recorded conversation.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
He said he hasn't paid attention in 3 weeks lmao. That's as unprofessional as it gets. That's not even complaining about the coach considering if you didnt like the coach you would say something. Instead you just basically don't show up.
Because the message hasn't changed at all in that time, no matter how bad the system has been.

A decent coach would surely try and change things up, no?

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Because the message hasn't changed at all in that time, no matter how bad the system has been.

A decent coach would surely try and change things up, no?

Then its your responsibility as a player whos the highest paid player on the team to say something. Otherwise , there is no change and improvement. There are always unwritten rules. Yes sure its in the contract of the coach to do the best job he can, but nobody wants an employee to only do the minimum , show up and leave.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Reactions: gab6511

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The coaches don't set the system for the players to play?

That's a new one on me.
Reading is hard apparently.

Coaches set a system. Players play the system. Ottawa's coaching isn't very good, and neither is their roster. The players in that car should look in the mirror and try to control what they control, and that's playing better.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Reading is hard apparently.

Coaches set a system. Players play the system. Ottawa's coaching isn't very good, and neither is their roster. The players in that car should look in the mirror and try to control what they control, and that's playing better.
And what if they're playing the system exactly as the coaches want?

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Most of it was pretty regular stuff but what stuck out to me was Duchene bragging about not paying in practice for three weeks.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
And what if they're playing the system exactly as the coaches want?
Then the coaches should be evaluated by management (who seem to be equally inept).

Face it, Ottawa sucks whether it is on the pp, pk or even strength. I haven't liked Boucher since his TB days, but this issue isn't one or the other. It's both. I feel for you fans of the team, but they are a gongshow in all facets, not just coaching.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
There is no indication from any story I have read that any sign was posted in the vehicle and I'd say 9 out of 10 cars do not post anything. Hence, the drive can't hide behind that paper wall. In this case he should be held liable. However, the team probably doesn't want to add any oxygen to this story and considers the matter closed.
In America I've been in a ton of Ubers with a dash cam. It's supposed to be there to protect the driver for protection from rider claims, etc. What he did wasn't illegal in Arizona.

"Arizona makes it a crime to intercept a "wire or electronic communication" or a "conversation or discussion" unless you are a party to the communication, present during the conversation or discussion, or one party to the communication or conversation consents."

If the Sens players didn't tip like cheap college kids then this wouldn't even be a thing.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I watched it again last night, and really it isn't bad at all. I'm kind of shocked that nothing really bad was said and it could have caught things that were absolutely brutal.

Exactly. Everybody should listen to Mike Johnson's (a former NHLer) take on the video (starts @ 3:00):
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...coaches-should-learn-from-the-video-1.1204877

It's a good thing that the guys care enough to talk about hockey in their free time instead of partying and getting drunk or something.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Coaches may suck, but these players should take some responsibility. The pp and pk % aren't all on the coaches in the slightest.

The PP is actually pretty good this season.... because that coach is no longer handling it, Guy Boucher took over the PP this season.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
It's better to say these things than not say them IMO -- in the end, I think this has the potential to actually make Ottawa a less toxic environment, assuming the incident was handled properly internally. I think you can respect and criticize simultaneously, and while this is obviously not the ideal situation to have an honest dialogue, I think that vocalizing tends to be better than not vocalizing in the long-term.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Vegas Golden Knights head coach Gerard Gallant may as well have spoken for everyone with his comments on the incident: “they talk about us all the time, believe me. … And vice versa, we talk about them, too.”

Good guy Gallant. Everyone in the league probably feels the same way but are probably too afraid to say anything.

Reactions: Cellee

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Guy in the middle (Chabot?) is wasted.

I actually like that Duchene sounds irritated that his time is wasted in pointless meetings and nothing ever changes in x's and o's despite that it's not working. Though admitting, in what sounds all seriousness, that he hasn't paid attention in 3 weeks is a bad look. But I'd be more concerned if he were making a joke out of how bad they are (like the guy in the front seat), he sounds frustrated.

That's how Chabot always speaks:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's better to say these things than not say them IMO -- in the end, I think this has the potential to actually make Ottawa a less toxic environment, assuming the incident was handled properly internally. I think you can respect and criticize simultaneously, and while this is obviously not the ideal situation to have an honest dialogue, I think that vocalizing tends to be better than not vocalizing in the long-term.

I actually agree with this well. Sometimes guys bond over hating and talking shit about one another.

Reactions: Paranoid Android

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad