Sens players caught ripping coaches, laughing about team on video

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Everybody vents about their employment, life, etc. I'd say this leaned towards mocking rather than just venting. Total jackass move by the driver to post this, but at the same time, they're athletes in the media and should be smarter than that. If you're supposed to be an on-ice/off-ice leader with an A, you should be making sure things like this don't take place and especially don't involve yourself.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Can Marty Raymond face his players after this public humiliation??

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't think it's as big a deal as it's painted out to be, but coming from a veteran like Duchene, I think it shows the kind of character he has and perhaps part of the reason why Colorado moved him.

Can't imagine a real leader being involved in that sort of stuff. I can't picture a guy like Stone in that situation.

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
This maybe true, but it's a different thing when you are a professional athlete than say a construction worker.

Also, as I said, Duchene is the big problem here. He's a captain for crying out loud. He should NEVER question the coaches in front of other players, let alone some rookies who have just joined the league and the team. Now these rookies know that these two older players (one a captain) don't respect their team staff. How do you think that'll pan out for the team?

Exactly this a team captain and apparently a leader telling rookies and new guys our PK sucks, coach is a joke and I have not paid attention for 3 weeks....... Somehow I think not paying attention in meetings is not going to fix the problem.

Anyone picture a Pronger, Weber, or Messier type doing or saying this? MD is not leadership material. I would strip his A, leave as a FA if you want to I don't care. I would trade him for anything I can get at the deadline.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I don't really see how this is an indictment on Duchene being a 'cancer'. He's definitely not the first or only one to vent their frustration about their boss when things are going poorly, it's just rare that it becomes easily accessible to the general public. He's not even the only one to do it in this video.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't really see how this is an indictment on Duchene being a 'cancer'. He's definitely not the first or only one to vent their frustration about their boss when things are going poorly, it's just rare that it becomes easily accessible to the general public. He's not even the only one to do it in this video.

Would you want one of your veteran core players showcasing that type of attitude around your young players?

If the answer is no... Then that makes Duchene a cancer to his hockey team.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well he wears an A, he's supposed to be a leader on the team and getting the team to buy into the coach's system not bash it. If you're a young guy on a team and hears the leader say he stopped paying attention to the coaches weeks ago, you wouldn't buy into the system either.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
This isn't bad at all. Every player does it. Uber driver probably getting sued and lost his job for profiting from a private convo. This might actually make there pk better!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Would you want one of your veteran core players showcasing that type of attitude around your young players?

If the answer is no... Then that makes Duchene a cancer to his hockey team.

Seems like he's pretty well received by his teammates not sure how that's a "cancer"

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Since we now have a open thread on this again that I can actually post in, I'll say what I said on the Ducks board earlier.

Badmouthing goes on in most workplaces. But the problem is not the complaining, the problem is how things were said and how they just went on and on and were laughing about the whole thing. Not saying they are bad human beings, but imo it does mirror a losing culture. Duchene and Wideman comes off as two veterans with poor attitude and a losers mentality, especially since they are surrounded by a bunch of rookies and new acquisitions.

Duchene is an alternate captain and a pending UFA that the Senators desperately wanna keep. Surely he has enough leverage to voice his opinions in the coaches office, but I seriously doubt that he has... While I'm sure this goes on with all teams in some capacity, I seriously doubt Chara and Bergeron would be driving this conversation with rookies, new acquisitions and a complete stranger if the Bruins went on a losing streak. Maybe Ottawa has good leaders, but it's not Duchene or Wideman.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Seems like he's pretty well received by his teammates not sure how that's a "cancer"

Being well received by his teammates isn't what this is about. It's about the kind influence your leaders are having.

That's not the sort of talk I'd want my leaders to have with their teammates.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This isn't bad at all. Every player does it. Uber driver probably getting sued and lost his job for profiting from a private convo. This might actually make there pk better!

I don't think "every player" does it. In regards to the driver, while he may have been fired (unknown), I don't think he'll be sued unless a cease and desist is issued to take it down and he denies the demand.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've moved on from the Sens but still want what's best for my team of 15 years. I wouldn't say these players are the only employees to make comments like this. The Uber driver should have never posted this. A complete breach of privacy IMO.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Being well received by his teammates isn't what this is about. It's about the kind influence your leaders are having.

That's not the sort of talk I'd want my leaders to have with their teammates.

Team morale seemed pretty upbeat from that convo for a team that's got under so much embarrassment the past 6 months. Seems better to poke fun than preach about trusting an trustworthy management group.

What's he supposed to do? Pretend like he's coming back? Tell them management has it under control? It's brutal honesty and the boys respect that more than some guy being politically correct and two faced.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think "every player" does it. In regards to the driver, while he may have been fired (unknown), I don't think he'll be sued unless a cease and desist is issued to take it down and he denies the demand.
I believe every person working that has a boss at some point in their life has been frustrated with their boss and vented. I'd bet that number is 90% or higher.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To me, Duchene just seems sick/frustrated with losing. He went to OTT to try and win a Cup (as OTT was a goal away from the Cup final) only to have them trade/lose some of their best players and sees the team being run into the ground. He's not a cancer. Probably the opposite. Wants to win and see his team be better.

I hope the Jets can pick him up at the deadline this year!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Team morale seemed pretty upbeat from that convo for a team that's got under so much embarrassment the past 6 months. Seems better to poke fun than preach about trusting an trustworthy management group.

What's he supposed to do? Pretend like he's coming back? Tell them management has it under control? It's brutal honesty and the boys respect that more than some guy being politically correct and two faced.

Isn't that part of the issue? Sounds like the very definition of a losing culture to me. Players not giving a crap and taking it as a joke.

What he's supposed to do? I don't know, if you're a leader, grow a pair, take it up directly to the coaches, be an example for your teammates.

I don't know what's to defend, really. I'm not saying anything against Duchene as a player, but I think this clearly shows why he's not fit to be a cornerstone in your organization.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

He said he hasn't paid attention in 3 weeks lmao. That's as unprofessional as it gets. That's not even complaining about the coach considering if you didnt like the coach you would say something. Instead you just basically don't show up.

Reactions: Elvs

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This is a complete non story, people complain about their boss all the time, even if they like and respect them. This would happen with any team if the players were recorded and the footage leaked.

The Uber driver should be sued for leaking what are supposed to be private records.

Reactions: OConnellsProtege

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad