OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It is. My parents are addicted to TV5 hehe
I mostly watch TV5 for the news (but I change channels when they get to African news and I feel guilty about it!). Also shows like "Des racines et des ailes" make me want to travel to France. "On n'est pas couche" infuriates me (the host and the panelists are often terrible) but it's a good show to catch up on French culture and politics. I wouldn't need to watch it if I lived in France.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just found out that there is a BBC version called Accused.

Of course they made it first.

A great reminder that North American TV is, generally, boring as ****!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Hmmmm, I dont know, I think North American TV produces some pretty good quality content. I have to imagine its scale is way larger than other countries too, so youre gonna get more garbage as well.

I will say, I take the American Office over the British office every time, and I like Gervais and plenty of British comedies. Extra's >>> British Office. And the IT Crowd is another great british show.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Hmmmm, I dont know, I think North American TV produces some pretty good quality content. I have to imagine its scale is way larger than other countries too, so youre gonna get more garbage as well.

I will say, I take the American Office over the British office every time, and I like Gervais and plenty of British comedies. Extra's >>> British Office. And the IT Crowd is another great british show.

Steve Carrell can't hold Ricky Gervais' jockstrap.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

There absolutely is high quality stuff made in North America. Mad Men was some of the best TV I have ever seen (did take some time to really get gripping but that's fine).

It's just that, and there ain't nothing wrong with it, that cultures tell stories a certain way. I grew up in Europe, so seeing European TV was like a giant breath of fresh air.

I really should make an effort to seek out high quality Middle-Eastern or even Asian TV shows. I would love to "feel" the difference.

As far as The Office goes, the UK and US have same starting points but went their separate ways. I have a lot of respect for what they did with the US version, that was a great adaption.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Well, that used to be true, but Gervais has gotten stale in the last 5 years or so.

I'll still take the UK Office over the US one though. Every episode is a masterpiece.

Stale? No chance. He's one of the best stand up comedians in the world. Easily top 3, can make a good argument for the best.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Stale? No chance. He's one of the best stand up comedians in the world. Easily top 3, can make a good argument for the best.

I haven't found his last few specials as funny as they used to be. Granted I may hold him to higher standards than a lot of other comedians as he has put out some amazing content in the past.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tears Are Not Enough.

Listening to "Do They Know it's Christmas " and "We are the World" this season, in has the kids listen to our version. They laughed at the quality of it I guess, it is 1985, but they liked it better than the USA song.

My teenage daughter said: "what if they redid it like the US version and British?

What a list of singers there would be...wonder why it hasn't been done yet?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I just preferred Michael Scott character much more and where they went with it.

Like I said I liked the UK office a lot but if someone says you want to throw on The Office or Extras I’m choosing extras every. Single. Time. To me that’s the funniest thing Gervais has ever done. That show was absolutely hilarious. I think the David Bowie episode might be one my favorite episodes of TV ever.

And just to throw out another show I absolutely adore- flight of the conchords

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Like I said I liked the UK office a lot but if someone says you want to throw on The Office or Extras I’m choosing extras every. Single. Time. To me that’s the funniest thing Gervais has ever done. That show was absolutely hilarious. I think the David Bowie episode might be one my favorite episodes of TV ever.

I could buy you a kebaaaab!

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just found out that there is a BBC version called Accused.

Of course they made it first.

A great reminder that North American TV is, generally, boring as ****!
I won't watch anything on cable unless it's from HBO, Showtime, Fox, Or Netflix. I tried watching an episode of Macgyver, Magnum P.I., and Leathal weapon and couldn't believe how shitty they were. There still are some good shows but they are just too infrequent.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh I'm stomping the brakes, put that idea right through the ****ing windshield.

Even commercials are different. It really is another experience.

One thing I found is that, at least British and French shows, don't always cast amazing looking people. It goes such a long way towards making everything feel more real.

That being said, I did specify generally. As with everything, there's some great and some bad; I just don't like the ratio here. Who knows? Maybe I'd feel the same way if I lived over there and got to watch what we have here, finding the over-the-top stuff thrilling.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Have you ever seen the show called Derek with Ricky Gervais? Such an amazing show.

Reactions: Que and Icelevel

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Even commercials are different. It really is another experience.

One thing I found is that, at least British and French shows, don't always cast amazing looking people. It goes such a long way towards making everything feel more real.

That being said, I did specify generally. As with everything, there's some great and some bad; I just don't like the ratio here. Who knows? Maybe I'd feel the same way if I lived over there and got to watch what we have here, finding the over-the-top stuff thrilling.
There's some reaaaaally bad French shows out there. They thankfully don't make it overseas to TV5, and stay instead in TF1 or M6 where they belong.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I would respond to the mustard and mayo Q but am afraid of administrative retribution.

I’ll just change my answer to papaya habanero pepper sauce.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I just remember it was 2 clicks away from Saturady Night Live so it's either 5 or 11. I think it was 11.

Benny Hill was on Channel 19 at 11:30pm on ABC. Boobies were okay back then.

In France, they sometimes have naked ladies in commercials for yoghurt.

Classy naked too, not dirty or degrading or anything. Granted using naked women to sell stuff isn't great, but it really exemplifies the differences in cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino