OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Anyone watch the Leaving Neverland documentary? Really unsettling and tough to watch but pretty enthralling.
dontbelievethehype.jpg

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Looking forward to the day when business and government on all levels embrace teleworking to it's fullest extent, of course where possible and cost appropriate. There is simply no need for the daily rat race and congestion we like most cities experience with the technology available. I think it has a lot to do with the current generation in power being raised on a 5 day 9 to 5 work week and being unable to see the benefits to anything else.

For the GoC id like to see some brick and mortar swing space buildings established outside of the cities in some of the suburban areas or some sort of job transfer program where people can switch to at level positions amongst sections and GoC departments closer to their home, perhaps we would have less of the folks living in the west end traveling out to the east end daily and vice versa.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Changing laws after the law has been broken out of fear of losing seats in an election is quite easily identified as ethically questionable, not only to me but also to members of Liberal party, as we saw today when Jane Philpott stepped down and specifically identified the PMOs interference on the AG as the reason why. The public is also relatively engaged in this topic, and therefore this situation fits the definition of a scandal.

I am not sure I follow... Do you mean allowing the Department of Justice to use DPAs?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Looking forward to the day when business and government on all levels embrace teleworking to it's fullest extent, of course where possible and cost appropriate. There is simply no need for the daily rat race and congestion we like most cities experience with the technology available. I think it has a lot to do with the current generation in power being raised on a 5 day 9 to 5 work week and being unable to see the benefits to anything else.

For the GoC id like to see some brick and mortar swing space buildings established outside of the cities in some of the suburban areas or some sort of job transfer program where people can switch to at level positions amongst sections and GoC departments closer to their home, perhaps we would have less of the folks living in the west end traveling out to the east end daily and vice versa.

I think the government has been doing a pretty good job of teleworking.

Ultimately the big reason it is not rolled out more is the plethora of meetings that happen within the government that work better face to face. Government also has very high turn over rate within itself, leading to significant time spent training within a team, something much harder to do teleworking. SSC is trying the outer hub approach, but the big issue is most teams have people living all over the city, they all want different hubs, and then whats the point of coming into a hub and interacting with no one, you may as well work from home.

Many areas of government are trying hybrid approaches, 1, 2 days a week work at home, so even get full time at home. Its a matter of the person and the job they do.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I think the government has been doing a pretty good job of teleworking.

Ultimately the big reason it is not rolled out more is the plethora of meetings that happen within the government that work better face to face. Government also has very high turn over rate within itself, leading to significant time spent training within a team, something much harder to do teleworking. SSC is trying the outer hub approach, but the big issue is most teams have people living all over the city, they all want different hubs, and then whats the point of coming into a hub and interacting with no one, you may as well work from home.

Many areas of government are trying hybrid approaches, 1, 2 days a week work at home, so even get full time at home. Its a matter of the person and the job they do.

I think some areas of the government have been working well towards it while some have not even introduced the capability to telework unfortunately. I think the face to face is an older generational mentality... but I get what you are saying there are certain situations where being in the same room is necessary however with facetime technology growing every day again I believe 3/4 of meetings could be done away with in the GoC imo.

Reactions: Smash88

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yeah it's very inconsistent in the government for teleworking.

In my wife's unit they all work from home twice a week, whereas where I am they don't allow it at all. We do the same jobs, but we work for different departments.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

In my wife's unit they all work from home twice a week, whereas where I am they don't allow it at all. We do the same jobs, but we work for different departments.

Literally working from home as we speak.

My dept is pretty good for that, as long as your job description allows for it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Strange...the old streetcars from nearly a century ago could handle Ottawa winters, yet new tech fails? Doesn't sound right.

Anyhooo.....the choice is clear. Dump the LRT and everything else, and focus on making Star Trek transporters. Our great grandkids will all have their own transporters in their garage or spare bedroom, to go anywhere on the planet within seconds. Imagine how cool that would be...
Sometimes the simple things are better,high tech I have found in my line of work usually means more flash and broken promises..And higher repair bills

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I appreciate that sometimes teleworking isn't a huge cost to the employer but people tend to abuse the crap out of it. It really bothers me.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Yeah my job description would allow it for sure. 99% of the work I do is on computer. I wouldn't mind the work 1 or 2 days a week model. Although operationally I could do it every day and just come in on days where I need to meet face to face.

I appreciate that sometimes teleworking isn't a huge cost to the employer but people tend to abuse the crap out of it. It really bothers me.

Yeah I get that, could be a problem for sure. But I find that to be a minority of people that do that and, people make it seem like it's the majority. It's the whole "public servants don't work hard" mentality.

In my case, I work in contracting, it is fairly easy to tell if someone isn't doing their work. If you don't get your contracts out in a timely matter then for sure, make them work at the office.

But, on the flip side, I easily get double the production done at home, in half the time. Working in contracts and policy, it is very hard to do that job with constant chatter around you. When I'm at home I can bang out a contract in a few hours, at the office it will be a few days.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Im moving from one that allows it, to one that doesn't shortly, short term pain for long term gain!

If I were ever in a management positon i would personally try and keep my employees out of the office as much as possible, I feel most deliver better work this way and are generally happier, this could never be a blanket concept of course because there is always outlying situations. I would simply evaluate the work the employees do based on tangible results and only make adjustments if and when needed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah my job description would allow it for sure. 99% of the work I do is on computer. I wouldn't mind the work 1 or 2 days a week model. Although operationally I could do it every day and just come in on days where I need to meet face to face.

Yeah I get that, could be a problem for sure. But I find that to be a minority of people that do that and, people make it seem like it's the majority. It's the whole "public servants don't work hard" mentality.

In my case, I work in contracting, it is fairly easy to tell if someone isn't doing their work. If you don't get your contracts out in a timely matter then for sure, make them work at the office.

But, on the flip side, I easily get double the production done at home, in half the time. Working in contracts and policy, it is very hard to do that job with constant chatter around you. When I'm at home I can bang out a contract in a few hours, at the office it will be a few days.

I'm in HR and when people work from home it is a huge drag on everything, drives me up the wall.

It definitely depends on what the person does. Having to go through bricks of text and such, I would definitely want to do the bulk of the heavy lifting isolated.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
LOL, that testimony. Oh, ok. It's manufactured and a powerplay by a moronic lawyer. It might crush the Liberals and Trudeau but the worst outcome would be JWR emerging and getting re-elected.

Trudeau's Justice Ministers have been a string of total embarrassments including her.
A very thorough, organized, lawyer. Political interference to a tee. It doesn't get any worse. But let's pay no attention to all the resignations from cabinet I guess? It is a sinking ship, and Trudeau got caught doing the very things he was supposed to be against. As MacLean's put it: The Impostor.

He is a pretty naive PM, as was expected, to get caught with his pants down. Him and his staff.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Precisely, DPAs were suggested by SNC-Lavalin.

Moving the goalposts and lowering the bar - Macleans.ca

I take no issue with SNC lobbying to have a mechanism other countries use regularly, adopted in Canada.

I'm not a lawyer or a law expert but, from what I understand DPAs lead to two important conclusions:

- the government getting oversight over certain key areas of the company as part of an effort to purge the problematic elements
- the people who did something wrong getting prosecuted

I absolutely get why DPAs are getting a bad rep, but I find that people seem to assume that if the Feds went with the DPA option that that would mean no one goes to jail/punished. That is not the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->