OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Didn't like the new guy.

I really hope they don't remake The Matrix.

It's happening. Warner Bros has already driven DC comic movies into the ground and they need something else to milk.

However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. The Matrix universe is a fantastic concept, and free of the Wachowskis and the stilted characters from the original series, there can be some really interesting stories to tell. Provided it's handed off to the right person.

I think the Animatrix shorts (for the most part anyway) had some really bold off beat stories to tell in this universe. So it is possible to do it right.

But they need to sever practically all ties to the original series. Start fresh. They don't even have to remake it. The end of the last one is pretty open ended so there's room to move forward.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sears has laid off thousands of workers and has closed hundreds of stores and is on the verge of bankruptcy. Sears executives? About to get 22 million dollars in bonuses.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I can't get enough of a band called The Wonder Years these days. It's weird to have pop punk that's both relatable and not about being emo over some girl.

You're in my wheelhouse now. :D If you want pop punk/emo suggestions I can recommend a bunch of stuff. Unless you're already into all of that I don't know how long you have been listening for.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You're in my wheelhouse now. :D If you want pop punk/emo suggestions I can recommend a bunch of stuff. Unless you're already into all of that I don't know how long you have been listening for.
I'll ALWAYS take recommendations! These days I've been pretty heavy into TWY, State Champs, The Story So Far, Real Friends, Neck Deep and Motion City Soundtrack.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'll ALWAYS take recommendations! These days I've been pretty heavy into TWY, State Champs, The Story So Far, Real Friends, Neck Deep and Motion City Soundtrack.

Ooooh okay so you know a lot of the good stuff. I’ll throw some suggestions out there in a few. There was one year I saw motion city live four times in a year it was awesome. :D

I’ll throw two out right now let me know if you like them. I just went to their show a couple weeks ago - Dance Gavin Dance and Underoath. I’m a big Dancd Gavin Dance fan.

I also just saw the story so far a few weeks ago too. Great show.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Okay had to get to my billions of spotify playlists

Some maybe off the radar bands I like you might like: Kayak Jones, Boston Manor, Hot Mulligan

Somewhat newer and pretty known: Knucklepuck, Trash Boat, Seaway

Just in general bands I like: La Dispute (slower and more spoken word poetry style) and Thursday (seeing them in March playing their entire first album)

I figure that's a lot to start. As you can tell I love talking music, especially emo and pop punk. :laugh:

Oh, one of my favorite older bands is also Braid, they're kinda different than the others.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
AWESOME. Thanks for all this – I'll give 'em a listen over the next little bit. I picked Son of Robot as my first Dance Gavin Dance song, and it was a bit screamy for my liking... but I'm digging the hell out of Death of a Strawberry.

Very jealous of TSSF live! As long as Parker didn't dropkick a fan again. :laugh: I've been pretty lucky with live shows this year – New Found Glory, Neck Deep, Rise Against, and TWY at Brass Monkey are definitely highlights. But man, I'd give a lot to see TSSF.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
AWESOME. Thanks for all this – I'll give 'em a listen over the next little bit. I picked Son of Robot as my first Dance Gavin Dance song, and it was a bit screamy for my liking... but I'm digging the hell out of Death of a Strawberry.

Very jealous of TSSF live! As long as Parker didn't dropkick a fan again. :laugh: I've been pretty lucky with live shows this year – New Found Glory, Neck Deep, Rise Against, and TWY at Brass Monkey are definitely highlights. But man, I'd give a lot to see TSSF.

No he seems a lot more lowkey now. :laugh:

TSSF is really good live, but they are also kinda weird now. They just get up there, sing, and are done. They dont even move around much or talk or anything while playing. Still really fun show live though. I saw them a couple years ago too here in my city, small venue of like 400 people and it was awesome.

Oh, I totally forgot about another show I was just at, Silverstein, I am also a big fan of them. Ill probably do that a lot, OH this band, OH this band, etc.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No he seems a lot more lowkey now. :laugh:

TSSF is really good live, but they are also kinda weird now. They just get up there, sing, and are done. They dont even move around much or talk or anything while playing. Still really fun show live though. I saw them a couple years ago too here in my city, small venue of like 400 people and it was awesome.

Oh, I totally forgot about another show I was just at, Silverstein, I am also a big fan of them. Ill probably do that a lot, OH this band, OH this band, etc.
I wonder how much of that has to do with Parker's recovery. That, plus tour burnout, can make it a chore to get on stage and go all out every night, I'd imagine.

Silverstein! That takes me back. Saw them at Bluesfest in '09. I believe Stone Temple Pilots was the headliner that night too. That was a curious combination.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I wonder how much of that has to do with Parker's recovery. That, plus tour burnout, can make it a chore to get on stage and go all out every night, I'd imagine.

Silverstein! That takes me back. Saw them at Bluesfest in '09. I believe Stone Temple Pilots was the headliner that night too. That was a curious combination.

Yeah that's a good point, probably a strong possibility IMO.

Nice, yeah they have been around for awhile, the show I went to last month was their 20 anniversary tour. Some of the suggestions are probably more scream heavy like DGD and Thursday, but Kayak Jones, Seaway are a little lighter on that.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hey guys, seems like i will be working for free starting tomorrow.

Got to love government shutdowns.

giphy.gif

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I see conspiracy theory nuts the same way I look at all those ladies who endlessly post inspirational quotes on social media: it is just a way to compensate for what they know they lack but won't admit.

I'm very, very cynical though.

It funny, I agree completely with you, but I don’t view myself as cynical. From my perspective, from seeing the same things as you, is that much of what we see on social media are filled with people’s ‘tells’ that reveal a lot about who is doing the ‘sharing’.

Many people tend to view social media more like two-way glass where they are in complete control of what the outsider or ‘suspect’ sees, when in reality it’s more like a tinted window to varying degrees.

Most of our social behaviors have well documented subtexts to them, that while not 100%, are usual enough to make educated reads on people.

I personally think it’s a good thing to be aware of, or to do by nature, not cynical, more like dialed in. The more information we glean from our surroundings the better suited we are to react with it with increased precision.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
OK, never thought it would come to this, but here's the point where I'm asking y'all for parenting advice... My son, aged 13, has been playing soccer since he was 10 (terribly late in Europe). When he came to the team, he was immediately targetted as messing things up, and hats off to him, he powered through and has improved a lot, but I'm not going to deny, he's clearly a weakest link on the team, where he doesn't even get mostly nominated for games, so we're talking mostly practice situations. He's a a sensitive kid and has always let these things go to his head, so there's an amazing disparity between when he's playing with his peers from his team and when he's playing pick-up games at our local playground with older talented kids and even playing with me and my adult friends, where he can totally hold his own. In the latter situations, he's quite good and in the former his head is totally messed and he plays off. Now, at this age, they've started being especially cruel to him, apparently, and he's spent the last month or more out with a sprained wrist, which as much as it's backed up by doctors, I also see that he really doesn't want to go back and probably exaggerates the pain to not have to. In half a month's time he's signed up (and deposit long since paid) to do a "winter training camp" where they acutally won't be playing soccer at all, but generally just cross-country skiiing. But he's a hard-headed one and he doesn't want to go there at all, basically has the feeling that they all beat up on him pyschologically, which is most likely factual. I remember this period of my life well, it was hell, but the fact of the matter is it's something we all go through. For one thing there's a non-returnable deposit on this trip, but also I feel like it's something he has to come out the other side of, and I know and have seen that he's a much better player than his teammates give him credit for, or that he's capable of displaying when they are around. Having presented this, I hope I don't really need to phrase the question as such, so I'd be glad for any advice any of you would be so kind as to offer. My own feeling is he should play out the season and then I'm happy to let him end it after that if that's what he wants, but I feel at this age you have to learn to realise that certain kids can be cruel and others will just pile on or seemingly so and it's an important lesson to discover you can't just run away from it.... thanks in advance....

I’ll chime in here as well if you don’t mind

My wife, growing up, found herself in the situation described by you often enough (tough youth and teen situations). The way her parents always did it was that if they asked to do something they had to see it through to the end, even if at the end they wanted to change to something else. This was especially true for music lessons.

She explains that it lead to her and her siblings to spend a lot more time thinking about what they wanted to do. Kids have a hard time conceptializing money and value, but when it comes to their free time, and having to stay in a situation that they don’t like, they learn pretty quick.

It’s hard to se your kids hurt and fail, but as you say, much of that builds character and problem solving skills that parents just can’t teach directly. You can teach the importance of commitment and then also offer a light at the end of the tunnel though...

Just a thought, my wife really values that perenting choice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad