OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In South America, the biggest problem is water. The continent’s Lithium Triangle, which covers parts of Argentina, Bolivia and Chile, holds more than half the world’s supply of the metal beneath its otherworldly salt flats. It’s also one of the driest places on earth. That’s a real issue, because to extract lithium, miners start by drilling a hole in the salt flats and pumping salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface.

Then they leave it to evaporate for months at a time, first creating a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then filtered and placed into another evaporation pool, and so on. After between 12 and 18 months, the mixture has been filtered enough that lithium carbonate – white gold – can be extracted.
It’s a relatively cheap and effective process, but it uses a lot of water – approximately 500,000 gallons per tonne of lithium. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, mining activities consumed 65 per cent of the region’s water. That is having a big impact on local farmers – who grow quinoa and herd llamas – in an area where some communities already have to get water driven in from elsewhere.

The spiralling environmental cost of our lithium battery addiction | WIRED UK

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Did everyone just get forced to review the sites rules?

It claimed it was just updated, what we’re the changes? No changes seemed obvious

Reactions: Deku

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It pretty much says Tunoc will be banned for eternity for trolling. lol

You know, I have been heavily against the concept of ignoring any posters for years now...but the past month or so putting a few folks on here on ignore has been absolute bliss. Some conversations are difficult to follow (only seeing replies and all), but for the most part, it's been amazing for the blood pressure.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Basically the warning system got modified a bit in terms of expiry. First one is 45 days, subsequent are 90 days. So it's a little bit harder to play the go off the rails every 30 days game.

Reactions: Engineer

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Marinate on this.

Ugh.

I got like 10 mins into the first video before I had to check to see if this wasn't a prank channel. That guy should just call his channel Buzzfeed: Conspiracy Edition.

All that guy does is take readily available scientific information and frame it in a "THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HATES ME FOR UNCOVERING THESE SECRETS" shitty narrarive.

Does it get better? Or should I assume that he's just going to keep "blowing my mind" with ordinary mundane science facts that anyone with access to Google can find within seconds?

The guy doesn't even get his facts straight. Copernicus's theory of heliocentrism was accepted by the Catholic church for something like 70 years before they denounced it for political reasons. It wasn't that "a brilliant mind was censored by the mainstream media" BS, it's that the Catholic church originally agreed with him, but they changed their stance based on the politics of trying to fight the wave of Protestantism that was taking place.

Many Catholic universities even taught heliocentrism.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It never ceases to amaze how people will believe a 29 minute video but not take 5 minutes to Google things themselves.

I hate that it's not just a guy trying to have a scientific youtube channel. That would be fine. There's plenty of very good science channels out there.

It's a guy trying to have a "the only true knowledge is the secret knowledge that the MAINSTREAM tells you is fake, but we're so smart because secret knowlwdge is best knowledge!!!" channel. Directly targets people who feel like they're smart because they "know something no one else does", rather than feel like they're smart because they actually just learned a thing and learning in general is awesome and doesn't need to be "secret conspiracy facts" in order to be valid knowledge. Learning things is it's own reward. It shouldn't have to make you feel like you're in a secret club in order to be valid.

Like... For f**ks sakes. Most people in the scientific community would LOVE it if you learned this stuff. Impact forces of asteriods? Giant sloths? Copernicus (assuming you actually get your Copernicus facts straight, that is)... There's no frigging conspiracy on any of this. The "mainstream science community" would love it if the average person picked up a goddamn book for once in your life, you know?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol, seriously.

If there's something out there The Man doesn't want you to know, you're not going to find it on a youtube channel. If the government/Illuminati/lizard people or whoever were really as powerful and out there as the conspiracy theories claim, all those folks starting conspiracy theories would be wearing cement shoes at the bottom of the ocean before any of us commoners hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad