OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Because he stepped on human territory. Should know better that if he takes that kind of risk it’s likely he gets hit by a car. Then they will shoot you. Well...lesson learned. (Lesson-humans are scum of the earth. And totally insane at this point)

Lol wtf did I just read?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Preface: I love moose. One of my favourite animals, after turtles.

But relax. The animal had an injured foot, he would have been a goner in the wild. He would have limped around, begun slowly starving to death as his mobility decreased and infection set in, eventually collapsing, succumbing to the lack of energy and disease. He'd be lucky to have a top predator come along before the ravens started picking at his still-live body. Nature's a *****.

So, you tell me. If you were in the moose's position, would you pick euthanization, or be relocated, still injured, and endure what I described above. Because I'm sure the City doesn't have the resources to send the moose to the hospital.
The point is that humans have built up this environment that is unsafe and unwelcome to any other medium sized animal. The moose was hit by a car no? That is why it had to be put down. Not because nature is dangerous.
Anyways...humans suck. Reconfirmed. FU humans :)
I’m team moose

Reactions: maclean

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The point is that humans have built up this environment that is unsafe and unwelcome to any other medium sized animal. The moose was hit by a car no? That is why it had to be put down. Not because nature is dangerous.
I’m team moose

Some of the more progressive countries out there are trying to come up with solutions, at least. A wildlife crossing in the Netherlands, and it works quite well.

wildlifebridge.jpg

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Some of the more progressive countries out there are trying to come up with solutions, at least. A wildlife crossing in the Netherlands, and it works quite well.

wildlifebridge.jpg

We have those in Alberta over the Trans Canada highway as well.

They aren't all roses and sunshine either. Predatory animals are smart enough to realise prey crossing these bridges is open feeding, and tend to hang around in the immediate area around the forest.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I’m team moose
I'm sorry but if you're demanding for safer conditions for LARGE mammals in the MIDDLE of the city, I don't know what to say.

I'm all for nature, but your take is ridiculous. It's a major highway, in the urban boundaries. The last thing we want is mammals the size of horses running around a city of almost 1 million people.

I get it. We took their habitat. I grew up in Bridlewood, where developers massacred the deer territory. But you need to draw the line at some point in relation to co-habitation. Moose are huge and potentially dangerous.

What's your end-game anyway, with this "humans are terrible" stuff? Should we all disperse among the boreal forest and live like Ewoks?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
We have those in Alberta over the Trans Canada highway as well.

They aren't all roses and sunshine either. Predatory animals are smart enough to realise prey crossing these bridges is open feeding, and tend to hang around in the immediate area around the forest.
Those passovers are cool, but they are also not next to your local Ikea in the middle of cities.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm sorry but if you're demanding for safer conditions for LARGE mammals in the MIDDLE of the city, I don't know what to say.

I'm all for nature, but your take is ridiculous. It's a major highway, in the urban boundaries. The last thing we want is mammals the size of horses running around a city of almost 1 million people.

I get it. We took their habitat. I grew up in Bridlewood, where developers massacred the deer territory. But you need to draw the line at some point in relation to co-habitation. Moose are huge and potentially dangerous.

What's your end-game anyway, with this "humans are terrible" stuff? Should we all disperse among the boreal forest and live like Ewoks?
I just see it as another upsetting reminder that humans have built things in a direction that has created big problems and solutions need to be figured out. Shooting an animal when it wanders in to our territory is not a good solution.
Building millions of driving machines that run on gas, drive on pavement and require huge plants to manufacture so that people can go to work is not a good solution.
Etc etc.
I mean the picture of the moose on the highway surrounded by metal machines on wheels and armoured men with weapons is so unnatural and disconcerting.
Just venting a little I guess. Ignore if needed.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I bought a $15 silicone spoon on Amazon. Not a baking spoon. Meant for eating with. Well worth it.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Of course not, that isn't their intention either, the moose situation was very unique.

Yea.. that's my point. We can mitigate outside the cities. It's next to impossible to do in city limits, nor do we want to encourage them to come in lol

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Anyone have experience rescuing a dog? Me and the missus are pretty sold on the idea but have never owned a dog.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Anyone have experience rescuing a dog? Me and the missus are pretty sold on the idea but have never owned a dog.

Rescuing a dog is awesome, but I think you have to be aware that there is a decent chance that the dog is going to have some behavioral problems so you may have to prepare for that. Also, some rescues can be much better than others when it comes to disclosing these issues, as they should disclose everything, but sometimes that's not the case. I am not trying to scare you off or anything, far from it, but I have seen so many instances of people getting way more than they bargained for when it comes to behavioral issues. I mean, they were capable and dealt with it, but just wanted to throw that out there.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa

I have 3 and they are fantastic. A lot of rescue dogs are pulled from places that aren't ideal but don't necessarily have any behavioral issues yet. Dogs with issues, yes, can be difficult but are worth the time and effort.

I can put you in touch with a rescue I know closely if you are interested and in the Ottawa area. My contact there is a great resource and routinely fosters these dogs before finding a forever home.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Rescuing a dog is awesome, but I think you have to be aware that there is a decent chance that the dog is going to have some behavioral problems so you may have to prepare for that. Also, some rescues can be much better than others when it comes to disclosing these issues, as they should disclose everything, but sometimes that's not the case. I am not trying to scare you off or anything, far from it, but I have seen so many instances of people getting way more than they bargained for when it comes to behavioral issues. I mean, they were capable and dealt with it, but just wanted to throw that out there.

I have 3 and they are fantastic. A lot of rescue dogs are pulled from places that aren't ideal but don't necessarily have any behavioral issues yet. Dogs with issues, yes, can be difficult but are worth the time and effort.

I can put you in touch with a rescue I know closely if you are interested and in the Ottawa area. My contact there is a great resource and routinely fosters these dogs before finding a forever home.

Yeah I've researched a bit but most of the rescues around have dogs that are vetted and don't have too many behaviour problems. I have known a couple people who have rescued dogs with aggression issues that didn't end well...I think one actually had to be euthanized, pretty sad. Going to meet one this weekend, a Mexican street dog who is apparently really chill.

@bigsby I'm going to look at one this weekend if all goes well we might pick her up. I will reach out if I need to be put in touch. Dog adopting is surprisingly competitive.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Never heard of em, what makes it worth it?

amazon.ca/dp/B0177MBAPC/ref=twister_B01BQ1LKFK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

No annoying clangs and screeches against the bowls/plates. More comfortable to hold. Those are my main reasons. If you read the desc its got a lot going for it.

Last edited:

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Yeah I've researched a bit but most of the rescues around have dogs that are vetted and don't have too many behaviour problems. I have known a couple people who have rescued dogs with aggression issues that didn't end well...I think one actually had to be euthanized, pretty sad. Going to meet one this weekend, a Mexican street dog who is apparently really chill.

@bigsby I'm going to look at one this weekend if all goes well we might pick her up. I will reach out if I need to be put in touch. Dog adopting is surprisingly competitive.

Best of luck! The first guy i have isn't a fan of other dogs - it took 4-5 months of muzzling, caging and attentiveness to break in each new one. That moment when he became best friends with them each time was unreal though. So rewarding

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Best of luck! The first guy i have isn't a fan of other dogs - it took 4-5 months of muzzling, caging and attentiveness to break in each new one. That moment when he became best friends with them each time was unreal though. So rewarding

Yeah this one I'm going to see apparently is a big dopey idiot that loves other dogs and physical affection. Good with cats too since I have 2.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
If you take in the pooch, you have to be devoted and commited to its entire life. It's pretty darn close to having a child. You have to put away stuff so that you don't get ticked off at the poor guy if he/she chews on it... they don't know... you have to teach them... things like that. You have to count the hours that you're away from home because they need to go outside and need much company and affection. You have to be patient with the outside training. Basically, dogs are so great and will love you unconditionally... and you have to treat them the same.

Reactions: branch

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Incidentally, I just came across the following a few days ago:

Attachments

• 36836422_1866175623473618_7117316466570952704_n.jpg
    36836422_1866175623473618_7117316466570952704_n.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad