OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yep, I have friends who I joke with by calling them dog elitists, one has like a 5,000$ German Shepherd, I just don't really get it. I'm going to PM you one of these days because I don't know exactly what commands she knows, and I really want to have her off leash capable.

Feel free anytime, obviously highly recommend a beginner and intermediate obedience class where fundamentals as well as socialization can be ingrained, sociliazation of the animal is absolutely paramount imo both with humans and other dogs and animals. Baby steps and daily training are also a must.

It's not like I personally train hundreds of dogs so I have limited experience on that but I believe if your willing to put the time and effort in you can achieve what your looking for, that said some dogs are just funny like us humans and no matter how hard or properly something is trained/ingrained it is not followed, for example been working on and off with my bros adopted Nunavut husky, he will never be able to completely roam free at a dark park as he cannot ignore his sense of smell and often wonders away. He is 12 years old and still does it lol

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Feel free anytime, obviously highly recommend a beginner and intermediate obedience class where fundamentals as well as socialization can be ingrained, sociliazation of the animal is absolutely paramount imo both with humans and other dogs and animals. Baby steps and daily training are also a must.

It's not like I personally train hundreds of dogs so I have limited experience on that but I believe if your willing to put the time and effort in you can achieve what your looking for, that said some dogs are just funny like us humans and no matter how hard or properly something is trained/ingrained it is not followed, for example been working on and off with my bros adopted Nunavut husky, he will never be able to completely roam free at a dark park as he cannot ignore his sense of smell and often wonders away. He is 12 years old and still does it lol

Yeah I made the deal with the GF that since I am paying for the adoption and all of the gear that we needed, she can shell out for the initial 6 pack of obedience classes. Thankfully we back onto a dog park as well so there will always be another one to sniff and investigate. It also helps that there is a ton of dogs in my neighbourhood (Centretown West), and a lot of rescue animals, it's going to def be a well socialized dog.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah I made the deal with the GF that since I am paying for the adoption and all of the gear that we needed, she can shell out for the initial 6 pack of obedience classes. Thankfully we back onto a dog park as well so there will always be another one to sniff and investigate. It also helps that there is a ton of dogs in my neighbourhood (Centretown West), and a lot of rescue animals, it's going to def be a well socialized dog.

Im sure there are some good ones in your area, if your looking for a good obedience school suggestion I would recommend Carolark located in the west end.

Reactions: branch

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I love all of the shared experiences that parents have. I also appreciate my parents much more and feel guilt for the stupid crap I pulled. Deep down, I need to prepare for my kids to do the same, but they are still young and innocent, so the teenage years are still a little while off.

My oldest is 13, so I'm steeling myself for that now, but honestly I think both me and my brother gave my parents practically no trouble whatsoever as teenagers (all I can recall is I once got the car towed because it was parked on the street after 1am and they plowed), so I'm hoping mine'll do me the same courtesy :)

As for getting used to being tired all the time... I never got used to it, but I was tired all the time even before I had kids

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Nope! I work for the feds and my wife is self employed, so I got 8 months off at 93% of my salary.

Your taxes get hooped though. Keep that in mind. Save some dollars for that.

To sum up, parental leave + new kid = greatest ever.

If you're not a parent yet, the only advice I have is, you'll get used to being tired.

...and no matter how old they get, sleep will never be the same

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dogs are disgusting.
Also, a bad idea
Just how bad is your dog for the environment?

Btw, if you own a dog your place is filthy.

I think that with the pet industry tripling in profits that there has never been so many pets in homes. Unfortunately that also brings us many people who should not own pets, like, ever. I think a lot of people like the ideas of pets but do not put in the time, do not have the time, but expect a pet to be alone all day . Anyways, this is not about anyone here who all seem like dedicated, responsible pet owners.

I am not a dog person, but if I were to get one it would be a bigger dog in the sense that watching Littlest Hobo, it would have to be a Lab or a German Shepherd. I have a 15lb kitten right now that turned out to be a Maine Coon breed. He is big.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, I love dogs but do not have the time. It's like having a toddler around for 10+ years. I want one or two when I'm either ready to start having kids or retired.

Love my cat. She likes having me around to fill her food bowl and change her litterbox and that's all that's needed. I can leave her for a week and just have someone drop in once or twice to make sure shes got food. Its great.

Reactions: 18Hossa

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, I love dogs but do not have the time. It's like having a toddler around for 10+ years. I want one or two when I'm either ready to start having kids or retired.

Love my cat. She likes having me around to fill her food bowl and change her litterbox and that's all that's needed. I can leave her for a week and just have someone drop in once or twice to make sure shes got food. Its great.

I was and still am a cat person prior to the whole initiative, we have 2 females and they're great animals. I donate probably 100$ a month to various cat rescues. I am a bit of a homebody though and I don't travel very often, most of the places we go the dog will be able to be included e.g. dog friendly friends in our group, cottages etc, and my GF sold me on it stating that she will be the primary person taking care of the majority of the walking, feeding etc. We have a big enough apartment in a duplex (probably similar square footage to an average bungalow), the money, the time, people lining up to dogsit, so why not you know. I'm only on this side of the fence because it's a rescue (that SPCA burning down really bothered me, realized how much I like animals). I ain't buying a new puppy.

The kicker, her being Russian, she was never allowed to have a pet growing up ONLY FISH. So she has memories of kids at the pet store picking out toys for their new dogs and her just standing there watching them with a lot of envy while she's there picking up fish rocks and boring shit like that for some barely sentient fish. She cries when she meets dogs she likes sometimes? Happy wife = happy life???

This entire post is a glimpse inside of someone's head trying to rationalize the whole thing. Big commitment and big process to get two humans, two cats, and an orphan dog in the same rhythm but I think we're ready for it.

Reactions: 18Hossa

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think that with the pet industry tripling in profits that there has never been so many pets in homes. Unfortunately that also brings us many people who should not own pets, like, ever. I think a lot of people like the ideas of pets but do not put in the time, do not have the time, but expect a pet to be alone all day . Anyways, this is not about anyone here who all seem like dedicated, responsible pet owners.

I am not a dog person, but if I were to get one it would be a bigger dog in the sense that watching Littlest Hobo, it would have to be a Lab or a German Shepherd. I have a 15lb kitten right now that turned out to be a Maine Coon breed. He is big.

Be prepared for kitty to top out around 25 pounds. And Maine Coons are great at opening doors. If you do't want kitty going outside, you pretty much need to lock your outside doors most of the time.

Reactions: coladin

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Owning a pet, mostly a dog, as they require a lot of attention, company and training, gives you a pretty good idea and experience if you, one day, are planning on having children.

No, I’m not comparing pets to children or saying that you’ll be a better parent if youve owned pets (mostly dogs). At the same time... , well, later, you’ll understand.

As for the philosophy of owning a dog is aka your place being filthy, don’t have kids! lol

Reactions: Upgrayedd

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Good lord. Who hurt you so in life that you can't enjoy DOGS?!

I’m totally picturing Dennis in the Wolf Cola a PR nightmare episode and his rant about dogs. :laugh:

We’re gonna get a dog someday and right now we have a ragamuffin cat with extra toes that I have fallen in love with. I’ve never been a cat person until we got her. Maybe it’s because she has a needy personality but she follows me everywhere and just wants to cuddle all the time. Heck she will wait by the door for me when I get home or come home for lunch because she hears my car roll in.

I don’t think you can spoil a cat as much as we spoil her. We took her in from my GFs friends moms house who couldn’t take care of her cats anymore, she was also a bit of a hoarder and had like ten cats.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I’m totally picturing Dennis in the Wolf Cola a PR nightmare episode and his rant about dogs. :laugh:

We’re gonna get a dog someday and right now we have a ragamuffin cat with extra toes that I have fallen in love with. I’ve never been a cat person until we got her. Maybe it’s because she has a needy personality but she follows me everywhere and just wants to cuddle all the time. Heck she will wait by the door for me when I get home or come home for lunch because she hears my car roll in.

I don’t think you can spoil a cat as much as we spoil her. We took her in from my GFs friends moms house who couldn’t take care of her cats anymore, she was also a bit of a hoarder and had like ten cats.
Your cat is probably really missing her cat friends.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Ahhh, a Hemingway cat. They're always a lot of fun. Sailors used to consider polydactyls good luck.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I desperately want a dog but my life is a little too hectic right now (and my apartment is too small...).

If/when I transition to a more stable 9-5 and move out of the city it’s going to be like the first thing I do.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

It is a big issue, having a pet and especially a dog is a large time and work commitment for hopefully 10-15 years that way too many do not bother thinking of, to ruin your day all one needs to do is pop over to their regional Kijiji page and browse under free....absolutely heartbreaking to me personally especially most of the reasoning, brings me to tears most times to realize how awful/short-sighted and selfish a good portion of humans are.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is a big issue, having a pet and especially a dog is a large time and work commitment for hopefully 10-15 years that way too many do not bother thinking of, to ruin your day all one needs to do is pop over to their regional Kijiji page and browse under free....absolutely heartbreaking to me personally especially most of the reasoning, brings me to tears most times to realize how awful/short-sighted and selfish a good portion of humans are.

That's true...but society in general is in a fairly perilous state these days, as well. So many people are 2-3 missed paychecks away from losing everything these days. And most of the employers out there really don't care about anything but profits. Cutting hours, eliminating raises, putting more work on peoples plates, shifting more to contract and part time work instead of full time hours....a lot of people are slipping through the cracks. And when they fall, so do their pets. Add in a shortage of pet-friendly rentals out there, and you end up with a lot of homeless pets.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Does anyone know exactly how many trains will be running when the LRT starts in November? I wonder how well this system is going to run.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I want a dog but I dont want extra responsibility or to spend more money. I like my limited responsibility cats. All I have to do is water, food, cuddles and the litter. Someone invent a service to rent a dog for a few days. Make it like loot boxes. Every month you get a dog in the mail to enjoy for up to a week before you return. If you keep/kill it you, you just get charged($ and/or crime) for it.

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Be prepared for kitty to top out around 25 pounds. And Maine Coons are great at opening doors. If you do't want kitty going outside, you pretty much need to lock your outside doors most of the time.
His paws clear the kitchen counter when he stretches trying to get a glimpse of his food bowl...I don't know when they are supposed to stop growing!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad