OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I think ive just started to deal with the fact that my life will never be my own again.

But, when it was my own, it hard far less meaning.

Edit:

Also, I've started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It is very hard. Tremendous workout every time.

I like it.
I'll never forget this one particular day that I looked at my son and just smiled... and he said: what?... I thought, uh... I just officially became my parents...and understood everything about when they used to do that and I didn't get it lol

Physical activity comes in pretty good when you're a parent. You need the energy.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'll never forget this one particular day that I looked at my son and just smiled... and he said: what?... I thought, uh... I just officially became my parents...and understood everything about when they used to do that and I didn't get it lol

Physical activity comes in pretty good when you're a parent. You need the energy.

Yeah I don't want to get to deep for people's comfort around here, but I found myself appreciating my parents on a whole new plain of existence once I became a father in my own right.

I also consider myself to be a whole enough person to allow critical introspection, so I also managed to feel a level of shame and sorrow I never felt before when I thought back to all the shit I put them through.

What a dingus I was.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah I don't want to get to deep for people's comfort around here, but I found myself appreciating my parents on a whole new plain of existence once I became a father in my own right.

I also consider myself to be a whole enough person to allow critical introspection, so I also managed to feel a level of shame and sorrow I never felt before when I thought back to all the **** I put them through.

What a dingus I was.
Very much agree with everything ; )

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I think ive just started to deal with the fact that my life will never be my own again.

Edit:

Also, I've started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It is very hard. Tremendous workout every time.

I like it.
Your right. It is the kids world and our job to make sure they have name and reputation that will help them and not hinder them in the real world. Everything , any decision I make with my wife is always based on our family and mostly the kids. I want to give them a fighting chance at life. It's a good thing.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Your right. It is the kids world and our job to make sure they have name and reputation that will help them and not hinder them in the real world. Everything , any decision I make with my wife is always based on our family and mostly the kids. I want to give them a fighting chance at life. It's a good thing.
We’re failing. Badly. Don’t tell the kids though. They are f***ed

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Agreed. Especially now that mine is starting to prefer walking to crawling. It goes so fast from her first step to now being able to toddle down a hallway!
This is where you become Soooo aware of your surroundings for your child, you can spot danger zones far ahead than anyone else. You will foreplay the possibility of things going bad in any situation. Kids have no fear, so we are the ones who are fearful for them. Fun times!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is where you become Soooo aware of your surroundings for your child, you can spot danger zones far ahead than anyone else. You will foreplay the possibility of things going bad in any situation. Kids have no fear, so we are the ones who are fearful for them. Fun times!

A friend of mine just had a kid post-40 and we were out having a beer and I saw him move a glass away from the edge of the table and I was like, "Aww, you're a real parent now!"

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Yeah I've researched a bit but most of the rescues around have dogs that are vetted and don't have too many behaviour problems. I have known a couple people who have rescued dogs with aggression issues that didn't end well...I think one actually had to be euthanized, pretty sad. Going to meet one this weekend, a Mexican street dog who is apparently really chill.

@bigsby I'm going to look at one this weekend if all goes well we might pick her up. I will reach out if I need to be put in touch. Dog adopting is surprisingly competitive.

I want an update!

I adopted my pup from the OHS about two years ago now. Rescue dogs aren't inherently worse than a puppy raised by a breeder. Sometimes they just need stability and a good home.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I want an update!

I adopted my pup from the OHS about two years ago now. Rescue dogs aren't inherently worse than a puppy raised by a breeder. Sometimes they just need stability and a good home.

We are rolling here...had a rep come and do the home visit today, we were approved for the dog we want, and the foster should be calling us this week from figure out when we can meet her. We have all the necessities purchased as well, collar, leash, bed, crate, dog gate, bowls, the dog backseat hammock thing...just have to have the talk with the cats now, I'm sure they will not be pleased. Found out she's from Playa del Carmen and was hit by a car and had her leg broken, lived the last 1.5 years in a shelter with 15-20 dogs in Mexico, been in Canada for around a month and a half...what a rough ride she's been through, but apparently it has not dampened her spirits. Very trusting and affectionate.

37055928_1900220083611674_3698587666493734912_n.jpg

37377569_1904451286521887_4611423260918153216_n.jpg

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
We are rolling here...had a rep come and do the home visit today, we were approved for the dog we want, and the foster should be calling us this week from figure out when we can meet her. We have all the necessities purchased as well, collar, leash, bed, crate, dog gate, bowls, the dog backseat hammock thing...just have to have the talk with the cats now, I'm sure they will not be pleased. Found out she's from Playa del Carmen and was hit by a car and had her leg broken, lived the last 1.5 years in a shelter with 15-20 dogs in Mexico, been in Canada for around a month and a half...what a rough ride she's been through, but apparently it has not dampened her spirits. Very trusting and affectionate.

Love it!!! Mixed breeds are the best!! :)

Reactions: branch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

She is gorgeous! And those big floppy ears are adorable.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Wait, what's her name?? I swear I fostered her for a bit.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

It's amazing how you change over the years, I have always been an animal lover and especially with dogs, have trained in obedience and agility for about 20 years now...when I was younger I was always drawn to the purebreds, being older now I realize most if not all pups from a reputable breeder generally will get a decent life, it's up to the rest of us who understand this to pick up the slack and adopt a shelter dog who has likely not had it very good, I believe my current best bud will live forever but if he doesn't im heading down to the shelter once done grieving! Thanks for sharing, gave me a smile!

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It's amazing how you change over the years, I have always been an animal lover and especially with dogs, have trained in obedience and agility for about 20 years now...when I was younger I was always drawn to the purebreds, being older now I realize most if not all pups from a reputable breeder generally will get a decent life, it's up to the rest of us who understand this to pick up the slack and adopt a shelter dog who has likely not had it very good, I believe my current best bud will live forever but if he doesn't im heading down to the shelter once done grieving! Thanks for sharing, gave me a smile!

Yep, I have friends who I joke with by calling them dog elitists, one has like a 5,000$ German Shepherd, I just don't really get it. I'm going to PM you one of these days because I don't know exactly what commands she knows, and I really want to have her off leash capable.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Edit:

I like it.

Being a parent is the best thing I have ever and will ever do, with honourable mention to marrying my wife. How I bamboozled such a brilliant and beautiful woman to choose me is beyond my own comprehension, but that's for another post.

I love all of the shared experiences that parents have. I also appreciate my parents much more and feel guilt for the stupid crap I pulled. Deep down, I need to prepare for my kids to do the same, but they are still young and innocent, so the teenage years are still a little while off.

Fun fact: I took parental leave when my 3rd was born. In those 8 months off, I lost 12lbs just from running around and playing with my kids instead of sitting on my arse, and reading HF all day.. Err.. I mean "working" all day.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Being a parent is the best thing I have ever and will ever do, with honourable mention to marrying my wife. How I bamboozled such a brilliant and beautiful woman to choose me is beyond my own comprehension, but that's for another post.

I love all of the shared experiences that parents have. I also appreciate my parents much more and feel guilt for the stupid crap I pulled. Deep down, I need to prepare for my kids to do the same, but they are still young and innocent, so the teenage years are still a little while off.

Fun fact: I took parental leave when my 3rd was born. In those 8 months off, I lost 12lbs just from running around and playing with my kids instead of sitting on my arse, and reading HF all day.. Err.. I mean "working" all day.

Is it bad that I want to try for a kid just for the pat leave?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Is it bad that I want to try for a kid just for the pat leave?
Nope! I work for the feds and my wife is self employed, so I got 8 months off at 93% of my salary.

Your taxes get hooped though. Keep that in mind. Save some dollars for that.

To sum up, parental leave + new kid = greatest ever.

If you're not a parent yet, the only advice I have is, you'll get used to being tired.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Nope! I work for the feds and my wife is self employed, so I got 8 months off at 93% of my salary.

Your taxes get hooped though. Keep that in mind. Save some dollars for that.

To sum up, parental leave + new kid = greatest ever.

If you're not a parent yet, the only advice I have is, you'll get used to being tired.
THATS-MY-secret-o0kyi6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->