OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I probably am going to do that in November for the F1 race...hear it’s outstanding
I went to the inaugural F1 race in Austin at COTA, and it is an incredible facility. It will blow your mind the venue, from the buildings, the food trucks to the easy accessibility to the race. The city itself is hopping full blast. The restaurants are great and if you like to eat, there is something about Texas size portions that will fill your belly. check out Rainey st area for nightlife.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I went to the inaugural F1 race in Austin at COTA, and it is an incredible facility. It will blow your mind the venue, from the buildings, the food trucks to the easy accessibility to the race. The city itself is hopping full blast. The restaurants are great and if you like to eat, there is something about Texas size portions that will fill your belly. check out Rainey st area for nightlife.
Yeah I’m a big F1 guy...Montreal is a great event but looking to switch it up a bit. If the Miami GP actually ends up happening I would be over the moon. What a week that would be.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Rainey Street is great, although I preferred it for day drinking shenanigans.

If you’re willing to wait Franklin BBQ will blow your mind. If lines aren’t your thing they are tons of good BBQ joints (La Barbecue, Micklethwait).

And BREAKFAST TACOS! Tacodeli man, shit will change you.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Yeah I’m a big F1 guy...Montreal is a great event but looking to switch it up a bit. If the Miami GP actually ends up happening I would be over the moon. What a week that would be.
Just came back from the montreal F1 and although it's fun and love the European flavor of the city, they really bottle things up. Years ago we were able to stick out heads right on the fence when the cars went by, your guts would shake. Every year since about 2003, they started to put more fences and barricades so you can't get up close. Those years we went from about 1989 to 2007 were the best years. Crazy engines. You couldn't watch a race up close without ear plugs, no way. This year I was invited for the Friday session in the Ferrari paddock and the cars don't generate that ear piercing sound like the years before. I was up close and did not need ear plugs. The cars have really lost their emotion. Oh well. But Austin is a special event no doubt.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Just came back from the montreal F1 and although it's fun and love the European flavor of the city, they really bottle things up. Years ago we were able to stick out heads right on the fence when the cars went by, your guts would shake. Every year since about 2003, they started to put more fences and barricades so you can't get up close. Those years we went from about 1989 to 2007 were the best years. Crazy engines. You couldn't watch a race up close without ear plugs, no way. This year I was invited for the Friday session in the Ferrari paddock and the cars don't generate that ear piercing sound like the years before. I was up close and did not need ear plugs. The cars have really lost their emotion. Oh well. But Austin is a special event no doubt.
Getting in and out of the facility especially on race day was a nightmare. Inches away from a human crush at any time. Just because of the way they channel and force the crowds to flow.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Getting in and out of the facility especially on race day was a nightmare. Inches away from a human crush at any time. Just because of the way they channel and force the crowds to flow.
Austin is nothing like that. You can get a parking pass that literally will bring within 5 minutes of walking to your seats. You can drive up to the venue. Depending on where your seats are, you can get the corresponding parking pass. We sat in the hairpin the first year. See.....not bad info from a troll!

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Austin is nothing like that. You can get a parking pass that literally will bring within 5 minutes of walking to your seats. You can drive up to the venue. Depending on where your seats are, you can get the corresponding parking pass. We sat in the hairpin the first year. See.....not bad info from a troll!
This is some DMZ/Geneva Convention Neutral area stuff. Is Austin BYOB as well?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Hi, husband works in Kanata and wants to watch the England game tomorrow, can you recommend any pubs where it might be shown please?
If he's in Kanata, probably best place (as an out of towner myself, and going off memory) would be to hit up one of the spots in the Kanata Centrum (Bierhaus, Three Brewers). Maybe not exactly a pub, but decent beer, food and TVs.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Also in terms of other US cities, Chicago is really cool. Ditto Atlanta.

Top of my list of places I’ve yet to visit:

Nashville
New Orleans
Charleston
Savannah
San Diego
Portland

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Best place in North America to visit that isn't NYC???

And go
PEI... If you're not looking for the big city experience... And want to avoid the classic American gun violence.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
We're back to the 1000 post rule, guys and gals. So continue on here.

Petition to rename the thread to

Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Zorf Rule is Back Edition

Since we don't have voting buttons, the best option would be to like this post if you agree, but I don't want to be a smarmy YouTube hoser begging for likes...

So send DMs to Uncle Denis instead! Haha

Or just like my post. But these likes won't count on my global like score.

Much love,

Z

Reactions: 18Hossa and branch

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Mbappe and Hasard were amazing. Giroud has been very disappointing.

I ended up missing the game, but Giroud's role isn't a flashy one, he's generally good at making space for others. Maybe he wasn't good at that either this game, I don't know, but he's a kind of anamalous player that does more than what it looks like he's doing.

Edit: OK, finally watched the extended highlights and I get it, he bottled a lot of big chances

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Austin, TX
I heard this too. Also Memphis.

I haven't travelled the USA extensively, but from my experiences, I'll give mention to Nashville for a party city (I stayed in a hostel for 5 days, holy shit what a time), and I really liked San Fransisco, worth it if you're into food and "hipster" vibes, with lots of nature just outside the city.

Stay away from Orlando and resort cities.

If you’re willing to wait Franklin BBQ will blow your mind. If lines aren’t your thing they are tons of good BBQ joints (La Barbecue, Micklethwait).

And BREAKFAST TACOS! Tacodeli man, **** will change you.

Also heard Franklin's is good from a BBQ pitmaster group I follow on Facebook.

As for Austin breakfast tacos:

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

And BREAKFAST TACOS! Tacodeli man, **** will change you.

I really like the Soco district. There is a great cowboy boots store there and Perla's, I think, a great seafood place.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

It all changed with Jacques Villeneuve. What used to be an easygoing, setup your BBQ type of place turned into a sardine can. Those first few years with JV were incredibly packed. Can't stand going to Montreal, the merchants are a bunch of vultures.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Foo Fighters.. incredible! What a night

They were great, and I am not a Foo Fighter fan. I respect their music and love David Grohl. He is a flat out honest entertainer.

I went for Greta Van Fleet as my son is in love with their music. That group will be the next great rock band if they can followup with another awesome album. Who says Rock is dead?

Reactions: Daffy

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
They were great, and I am not a Foo Fighter fan. I respect their music and love David Grohl. He is a flat out honest entertainer.

I went for Greta Van Fleet as my son is in love with their music. That group will be the next great rock band if they can followup with another awesome album. Who says Rock is dead?
My 7yr old loves Greta, but I figured he was too small to handle Bluesfest crowds, and judging by the pictures of the crowd for the Foo Fighters, I think I was right.

But damn he would have loved to see Greta.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My 7yr old loves Greta, but I figured he was too small to handle Bluesfest crowds, and judging by the pictures of the crowd for the Foo Fighters, I think I was right.

But damn he would have loved to see Greta.

It was uncomfortable, to say the least. My son and I go t separated and I had to make my way over to him. Amidst security dragging what looked like an OD'd girl, another guy fainting piss drunk, had a old lady push me, hard, because I stepped on her foot. I asked her, yelling to everyone " excuse me", but I guess she didn't get the memo. Guy beside me watched the whole show, posing like Superman without the cape, to ensure he had all the space around him. Lots of pricks. Anyways, found my son, saw more security carry another OD guy this time, after my son saw someone drop right in front of him , passed out. Heis almost 17, but still. My daughter ain't going next year if they don't get a handle on it.

Not a big fan of Bluesfest on top of standing for over 3 hours, my back was killing me on top of the walk from Preston near the Queensway overpass! I like my seats in an arena.

GVF were worth it though!

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
You know what bugs me about soccer?

You get slightly challenged and you just keep backing up, backing up, backing up, oh here pass to my own goalie who kicks it half down the field and if we don't get a good chance to score we do the same back up thing.

Early in the game England had a throw in from right near the goal line and instead of challenging for a goal they just kept backing up until they were finally at their own goalie, they backed up down the whole field.

It's like the trap in hockey, boring as hell to watch that take place.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I really like the Soco district. There is a great cowboy boots store there and Perla's, I think, a great seafood place.

Heard Perla’s is excellent. The food there is top-notch in general. Lucy’s fried chicken *drool*

Also the main park there is incredibly nice. The name eludes me right now though.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It was uncomfortable, to say the least. My son and I go t separated and I had to make my way over to him. Amidst security dragging what looked like an OD'd girl, another guy fainting piss drunk, had a old lady push me, hard, because I stepped on her foot. I asked her, yelling to everyone " excuse me", but I guess she didn't get the memo. Guy beside me watched the whole show, posing like Superman without the cape, to ensure he had all the space around him. Lots of pricks. Anyways, found my son, saw more security carry another OD guy this time, after my son saw someone drop right in front of him , passed out. Heis almost 17, but still. My daughter ain't going next year if they don't get a handle on it.

Not a big fan of Bluesfest on top of standing for over 3 hours, my back was killing me on top of the walk from Preston near the Queensway overpass! I like my seats in an arena.

GVF were worth it though!

Get a handle on what though? That's an outdoor concert for you. Security can't strip search everyone, they can't have eyes on everyone being a jerk, and they can't control what people ingest before they enter the grounds. "It" will never go away, the level of "it" will just vary depending on the crowd demographics (i.e. Blue Rodeo is likely to be more tame than the Migos show, which I accidentally wandered into last year after being at the war museum.. honest!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad