OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Amazon Prime Day and either they're getting DDoS'd, or suddenly there's been a huge explosion of popularity compared to last year because their online store is not handling things very well at all. And seems like their other services are being affected too.

Reactions: 18Hossa

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Who is America? is insane. Very funny but terrifying. I have a feeling this is going to be the most culturally relevant TV show in the western world over the next few years.

I love Sacha Baron Cohen. I feel like he waited just long enough for people to forget about him and then he pops up out of nowhere doing the perfect schtick again. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Amazon Prime Day and either they're getting DDoS'd, or suddenly there's been a huge explosion of popularity compared to last year because their online store is not handling things very well at all. And seems like their other services are being affected too.

I was on Amazon before 3pm and browsed through stuff, only 1 thing interested me. It just seems like a lot of junk. I also feel like Amazon's quality control of who can sell stuff has taken a nosedive too. Kinda like when eBay was flooded with crap and is no longer really an "auction" site anymore.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I was on Amazon before 3pm and browsed through stuff, only 1 thing interested me. It just seems like a lot of junk. I also feel like Amazon's quality control of who can sell stuff has taken a nosedive too. Kinda like when eBay was flooded with crap and is no longer really an "auction" site anymore.

Yeah, I often just filter by 'prime eligible' to filter out most of the crap.
The deals this year compared to last year for amazon canada don't seem as good either. Last year saved like 300 dollars on a stroller. This year saved about 30 bucks on a car seat. And didn't find any real prime day deals in any electronics categories I was interested in.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The deals this year compared to last year for amazon canada don't seem as good either. Last year saved like 300 dollars on a stroller. This year saved about 30 bucks on a car seat. And didn't find any real prime day deals in any electronics categories I was interested in.

Yeah I have wanted to update my record player for awhile and found a pretty cool one for Prime Day, but the waitlist is already full. Oh well, I don't need to spend $ anyway, I am going on vacation next week and also dropping $$$ to have the house repainted. I need to be stingy!

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I got some pretty decent deals on some kids toys. And if you had an older child, playdough was on super sale! But honestly I get just as good deals just putting things on wish lists and waiting it out.

I was working yesterday so didn't have a chance to really look at things. But got a bunch of wooden puzzles real cheap!

Reactions: Caeldan

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why did they kill Moosey McMoose Face? Don't we have a way of dealing with situations like this in a more civilized way?

Did they? That's a real shame, I too have wondered with the degree that we have of larger animals wondering into the city, surely a tranquilizer would work on some cases? Im ignorant to the specifics, but it seems like whenever this happens the "officials" gather, don't really do anything for a long period other than stand around and "discuss" then shoot the thing....

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Re: Amazon. I'm a pretty big consumer on the online retailer. You can find a lot of stuff there for sure. I'm not on prime though, might look into it at some point.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Did they? That's a real shame, I too have wondered with the degree that we have of larger animals wondering into the city, surely a tranquilizer would work on some cases? Im ignorant to the specifics, but it seems like whenever this happens the "officials" gather, don't really do anything for a long period other than stand around and "discuss" then shoot the thing....

Aw they killed him eh, that sucks. His leg was totally f***ed, and I don't think we have moose rehab resources, so to be honest, I'm not surprised they euthanized him.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Aw they killed him eh, that sucks. His leg was totally ****ed, and I don't think we have moose rehab resources, so to be honest, I'm not surprised they euthanized him.

Indeed for this instance it seemed the leg was inevitably going to lead to death, im no expert on it though. I wonder how many successful removals of healthy animals they have done? I don't have any hard facts but seem to remember a few instances where healthy animals were deemed a safety risk and gunned down, wasn't an elk in this situation a year or two ago?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
True, but the value comes in the expedited shipping throughout the year. Prime Day is no different than Black Friday or Cyber Monday – rarely any great deals, but it doesn't stop people from freaking out.

Agreed I have personally never seen anything on that specific day that shocked me, savings wise.....the benefit of prime is the quick turnaround, order at night, typically get it the next day before lunch. I imagine this possibly will be even further enhanced if they open up a distribution center locally, some items would be like ordering a local pizza delivery time wise.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I have Prime. It's worth it IMO.

Agreed! Love my Prime! Music, TV, and free shipping, 20% off all baby essentials (diapers/wipes). And pretty great deals on lots of other home essentials. Plus coupons on so many things!

Re: Prime day... I oftenofte just as good deals throughout the year if I pay attention! Although there were some great deals on kids stuff (like a giant swing set for like $300 - regularly at home Depot $1200).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Why did they kill Moosey McMoose Face? Don't we have a way of dealing with situations like this in a more civilized way?
Because he stepped on human territory. Should know better that if he takes that kind of risk it’s likely he gets hit by a car. Then they will shoot you. Well...lesson learned. (Lesson-humans are scum of the earth. And totally insane at this point)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Because he stepped on human territory. Should know better that if he takes that kind of risk it’s likely he gets hit by a car. Then they will shoot you. Well...lesson learned. (Lesson-humans are scum of the earth. And totally insane at this point)
Preface: I love moose. One of my favourite animals, after turtles.

But relax. The animal had an injured foot, he would have been a goner in the wild. He would have limped around, begun slowly starving to death as his mobility decreased and infection set in, eventually collapsing, succumbing to the lack of energy and disease. He'd be lucky to have a top predator come along before the ravens started picking at his still-live body. Nature's a bitch.

So, you tell me. If you were in the moose's position, would you pick euthanization, or be relocated, still injured, and endure what I described above. Because I'm sure the City doesn't have the resources to send the moose to the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad