Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Pretty good, I wonder why Hoff didn't get at least 15 though.

Ryan getting roughly 18 isn't surprising considering his finger was haunting him during the game.

The Turris line actually generated quite a few chances and good cycle pressure. Chiasson had some crazy chances again.

It felt like Hoffman was on for a lot more than that, maybe because he's small so he can't really go into the corners like some of our bigger guys? Chiasson needs to start burying.

BigBush*

It felt like Hoffman was on for a lot more than that, maybe because he's small so he can't really go into the corners like some of our bigger guys? Chiasson needs to start burying.

He will, the chances are there for him every game

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Pretty good, I wonder why Hoff didn't get at least 15 though.

Ryan getting roughly 18 isn't surprising considering his finger was haunting him during the game.

The Turris line actually generated quite a few chances and good cycle pressure. Chiasson had some crazy chances again.

It's a pretty big drop considering he was getting 1st line minutes against LA.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The best news to come out of this game probably had nothing to do with the performance.

No Smith, Phillips, Neil, Michalek = This team is just so much better.

It's so sad cause those guys are the veterans. But it's true. Their time is done.

I don't ever want to see those guys playing on this team again unless Neil and Smith get the very odd game.

I love Cameron for benching Phillips. He has just won me over.

Also, Karlsson was very good today, he made plays and opportunities no one could create. That pass to Ryan and that chance in OT where he also won the game were terrific.

Lehner was dynamic. Lehner is an excellent situation goalie. As the game gets more intense and more difficult, Lehner becomes better and better. He's the type of player who automatically elevates his game to match the opponents skill and will give you a chance to win no matter how hard the team is.

Lehner has now won 5 straight shootouts. 6 of his last 7.

The last 3 shootouts he has faced Tampa, STL and Boston.

Oshie
Tarasenko
Steen
Stamkos
Johnson
Bergeron
Marchand
Smith
Kucherov

Only 2 of those guys have scored. That is ****ing impressive.

Cowen was a BEAST. That play on Bergeron is exactly what could alter momentum in playoffs when facing superstar forwards.

CAN WE BRING UP PAGEAU??!?!??!?!?!

I'm so ****ing excited.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Agreed with everything RKL said. We just went toe to toe with two elite teams and didn't look out of place at all. When Methot is fully healthy that should help a lot, we might not make playoffs because we got handicapped by the first 20 games but now that the player usage is fixed I'm super excited about the future.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Solid win. We've got a chance for a 3 game winning streak here with Buffalo and New Jersey coming up.

EK Tracker

8 SOG

5 GvA

0 TkA

plus one goaltending that is the difference in the game amongst other things:naughty:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

How the hell did Karlsson get zero TkA, what's their metric for it especially since they say he has 5 GVA. The guy took the puck away 2-3 times in the corner from attacking forwards and intercepted 3-4 plays in neutral zone and in his own zone. Twice in OT.

The guy has way way more TkA than he does GVA, whoever tracks those stats is clueless.

Agreed with everything RKL said. We just went toe to toe with two elite teams and didn't look out of place at all. When Methot is fully healthy that should help a lot, we might not make playoffs because we got handicapped by the first 20 games but now that the player usage is fixed I'm super excited about the future.

Methot would help tremendously. We could still go on a strong run with pageau up instead of Smith and Methot with Karl for rest of season. At deadline we could even pitch for a Perron and make playoffs.

I just hope to God Cameron stays by the philosophies he has shown so far past 2 games.

I've never been this excited since 2012-2013.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How the hell did Karlsson get zero TkA, what's their metric for it especially since they say he has 5 GVA. The guy took the puck away 2-3 times in the corner from attacking forwards and intercepted 3-4 plays in neutral zone and in his own zone. Twice in OT.

The guy has way way more TkA than he does GVA, whoever tracks those stats is clueless.

Methot would help tremendously. We could still go on a strong run with pageau up instead of Smith and Methot with Karl for rest of season. At deadline we could even pitch for a Perron and make playoffs.

I just hope to God Cameron stays by the philosophies he has shown so far past 2 games.

That's quite the roller coaster ride you're taking yourself on there.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

It's early yet, but I am reaaaally hoping this is a permanent change in direction and not just the reaction to a big shakeup.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I thought we played better against LA (some bad ref calls againat us), but we got the points against Boston (refs missed a few calls against us, and Boston hit iron a couple of times). That's hockey for you.

Phillips scratched? Michalek, Neil, Smith out? OMGWE'RETHEOILERS? Not so much. I loved the D to D passes to get out of the zone with confidence. What a difference it makes when you know your defensive partner can take a pass and do something creative with the puck. Same with our forwards: other maybe than Greening, every forward was able to handle a pass and get the puck out of trouble in the D zone.

Cowen was BOSS once again. Boro is essential to this team, and even more so if he's going to be the only mean guy on the team. Weircioch isn't great, but I liked that he was used a bit on the PP; that's putting your players in a position to succeed.

Ryan was amazing. I feel that there's more and more chemistry with Ziba. At this point I think that pair should get 1st line ice time, until Turris can find himself. Seriously, what's going on with Turris? He's playing shy, he's missing his shots, basically no confidence whatsoever.

Sorry guys, this team ain't tanking yet.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I have many of the same impressions of the game. Another good effort and nice to win the shootout. We've had some stinkers the last little while, but the last two with Cameron have been good games against good teams, the comeback win was nice, and we played well against Stl and a few others during this downturn.

Really liked Cowen today. Ceci a bit of a comeback game - just very solid and quiet, so lucky to have him holding down that spot for us at his age. Boro competed and, as I said in the GDT, I think he's a good fit with EK, especially since he's so willing to play safe and retrieves pucks fearlessly.

Turris was better today than he has been, at least that line is starting to generate scoring opportunities again so I won't be surprised to see them start to turn it around. Zibanejad is red hot, Ryan too, and Hoff isn't scoring but he's made a lot of good plays with and without the puck, especially in the counterattack. He starts things nicely for us from our blueline out - he's become a very important transition player for us.

Chiasson didn't take a backwards step all game. Nice to see a guy comfortable banging with the Bruins. Great down low, as usual, and had some chances. I think he's going to be a core piece on our third line and on the second PP unit for a few years and I'm OK with that. Not fast, but he's never been fast so he knows where to be. Sometimes guys get to the league and it's faster and they're lost if they can't outskate guys - I don't get that sense with Chiasson.

Condra did not have a strong game. Lazar also, but how tough and brave do you have to be as a 19 yr old in the NHL trying to win draws against Bergeron and fighting in the corners for pucks with Lucic and Chara? He wasn't a weak link or anything, outside of the face-off circle, but he was quiet today.

Lehner battled hard, but despite the reviews, I felt he was fighting it. Some big saves from some awkward positions. Not pretty but he got the job done and that's huge - when you can win and make saves when you're not totally on point. Very big when he had to be and what a 180 in the shootout. Happy for him (and us!).

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
For me one of the most difficult things with MacLean was how he was so vocal about that "best players play" and then... he'd ice his team and you'd wonder, "are those the players Mac thinks are the best? Really?" Right up there wit Murray when he starts talking about this line-up being a play-off team that might take a deep run... you just wonder about where their respective heads are at. Cause you just don't get it. This afternoon, at least, the team played who I wanted them to play. Forced to out of necessity (injuries to Neil, Michalek, and Smith), and some courageous decisions (Phillips 'maintenance') they rolled out this line-up... and for at least until the next game I can feel totally right about something.

And that doesn't happen too often.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
no one is saying to not bench them but i certainly wouldn't trade them and i would certainly keep them in the lineup and play them in their proper roles

phillips is perfect for a bottom pairing role but since methot is nowhere to be found and cowen struggled for a large part of the season phillips is the go to guy on the left side

2.5 is a little pricey for a budget team to be paying a 6/7.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Competitive- without Michalek, Phillips and that other guy.

But those are our competitive veterans. That's what veterans bring.
Point. We need better veterans. Let's just take away ohillips and Neil and Michalek and smith and greening and put all their money into a super-veteran.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
no neil+no phillips=profit

= Better chance of winning!

Nice win today boys. Not such a great first period but from then on they played hard often times banging the Bruins around the ice! Thank god Mr Ryan knows how to bury those shootout chances. Hopefully this is the opp Bobby has needed with Palrus gone and Cameron in charge!

Go Sens Go!!!:handclap:

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

Yeah the TkA and GvA data are total garbage. They're pretty subjective in a lot of instances.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
2.5 is a little pricey for a budget team to be paying a 6/7.

With Gryba and Boro on such low contracts I think 2.5 is not a concern for a veteran leader, even if he's 6/7.

Wiercioch at 2 though? I'd sooner move that contract than Phillips at 2.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad