Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lmao. It was a sarcastic remark(kinda) to everyone said that as soon as you take our Phillip and Neil and Michalek (dribble Nhlers except Michalek who is an ok third liner) we would suddenly regress into the oilers. You don't need these guys playing game in game out. And you certainly don't need them making that much money

no one is saying to not bench them but i certainly wouldn't trade them and i would certainly keep them in the lineup and play them in their proper roles

phillips is perfect for a bottom pairing role but since methot is nowhere to be found and cowen struggled for a large part of the season phillips is the go to guy on the left side

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
This whole "Edmonton doesn't have veteran players" thing is a myth anyways.

Players 30 or older:

2014-15
Andrew Ference
Matt Hendricks
Steve Pinizzotto
Boyd Gordon

2013-14
Ryan Smyth
Andrew Ference
Matt Hendricks
Nick Schultz
Ales Hemsky

2012-13
Ryan Smyth
Eric Belanger
Jerred Smithson
Shawn Horcoff
Darcy Hordichuk
Nick Schultz

2011-12
Andy Sutton
Ryan Smyth
Josh Green
Eric Belanger
Shawn Horcoff
Darcy Hordichuk

The Oilers were DFL in every one of these seasons despite having more older players than the Senators.

The last time the Sens made the playoffs they had a grand total of 4 players aged 30+. The difference was that 2 of them were Alfie and Gonchar and they were actually good. That is the the crucial factor.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
phillips is perfect for a bottom pairing role

He so, so obviously isn't. I agree he might look a bit better if he was limited to 12 minutes playing against 3rd and 4th liners, but if you're resorting to doing that then there's no point in dressing him.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
EDM:

- threw their young guys into the NHL too early AND STILL haven't learned (Draistaitl)
- bad coach
- their young guys play with no emotion.
- bad management
- bad everything.

I feel sorry for the goalies and Perron. Like jeez, did you guys see the gif on the main board on Fasth losing it and Scrivens pointing towards a guy come down the left side, but instead 3 guys went into the corner with the puck carrier, only for the uncovered guy to score 2 seconds later because of it? It's a mess over there.

More than just about veterans at this point. Their young players (Hall, RNH, Eberle, etc) are just as accountable as their poor management and coaching.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This whole "Edmonton doesn't have veteran players" thing is a myth anyways.

Players 30 or older:

2014-15
Andrew Ference
Matt Hendricks
Steve Pinizzotto
Boyd Gordon

2013-14
Ryan Smyth
Andrew Ference
Matt Hendricks
Nick Schultz
Ales Hemsky

2012-13
Ryan Smyth
Eric Belanger
Jerred Smithson
Shawn Horcoff
Darcy Hordichuk
Nick Schultz

2011-12
Andy Sutton
Ryan Smyth
Josh Green
Eric Belanger
Shawn Horcoff
Darcy Hordichuk

The Oilers were DFL in every one of these seasons despite having more older players than the Senators.

The last time the Sens made the playoffs they had a grand total of 4 players aged 30+. The difference was that 2 of them were Alfie and Gonchar and they were actually good. That is the the crucial factor.

a lot of those guys weren't even that good at any point in their career or atleast not at the top of their role and the fact that they continually just change vets doesn't mean anything

You think Legwand holds the same kind of respect as phillips in the locker room? i doubt it

Phillips was one of the best defensive defensemen in the league during his prime and has played as a top pairing defensemen on good ottawa teams. Neil was also considered on of the best 3rd/4th liners in the league in his prime and lets not forget alfie who was also here.

Those guys imo hold more respect around the league then someone like ference, horcoff belanger green who have never really been top players

thats just my opinion on it but i think edm would have been a lot better off if they had a stable vet core BEFORE all the young guys came in

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
EDM:

- threw their young guys into the NHL too early AND STILL haven't learned (Draistaitl)

I'd buy this if their high draft picks all ended up terrible, but they didn't. Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are all talented hockey players. So are Gagner and Cogliano, who were pretty good for the Oilers until they dealt them. The problem is they don't even have a handful of other players on the team who'd make any other team's lineup.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
EDM:

- bad coach
- their young guys play with no emotion.
- bad management
- bad everything.

I feel sorry for the goalies and Perron. Like jeez, did you guys see the gif on the main board on Fasth losing it and Scrivens pointing towards a guy come down the left side, but instead 3 guys went into the corner with the puck carrier, only for the uncovered guy to score 2 seconds later because of it? It's a mess over there.

More than just about veterans at this point. Their young players (Hall, RNH, Eberle, etc) are just as accountable as their poor management and coaching.

ference pretty much came out and said the young guys (on the powerplay) think they are great and other teams will lay down for them. That just shows me that the young guys were given way to much too fast

I think they feel entitled

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
the jump from the AHL to NHL is still pretty big and throwing players into roles they arent ready for which we HAVEN't done with guys like Stone, Hoffman, Zibby, Turris, Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci,Boro, Gryba

All those guys were eased in and surrounded by vets they weren't just given top line spots. Even Karlsson was given hard lessons when he started but he had guys like Phillips and Gonchar around to fill in and help. Ceci was stapled to phillips most of last year and we have seen how ottawa has taken time with Hoffman but also did not just toss him into a top line role just cause he got 30 goals in the ahl. Zibby came in as a 3rd line center who had turris and spezza infront to show him how to be a professional and lets not forget Turris has spezza and Alfie and now has Macarthur

I doubt Turris turns into the player he is if we just threw him onto the top line from the start
Removing Phillips, Neil, Michalek, Smith and Greening doesn't stop this from happening.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Solid win. We've got a chance for a 3 game winning streak here with Buffalo and New Jersey coming up.

EK Tracker

8 SOG

5 GvA

0 TkA

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I'd buy this if their high draft picks all ended up terrible, but they didn't. Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins are all talented hockey players. So are Gagner and Cogliano, who were pretty good for the Oilers until they dealt them. The problem is they don't even have a handful of other players on the team who'd make any other team's lineup.

They aren't playing like a team, and like HSF said, they have entitlement.
They were thrown into the NHL too soon, then handed nice contracts.

I'd say that played a role in it.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
You think Legwand holds the same kind of respect as phillips in the locker room? i doubt it

Phillips was one of the best defensive defensemen in the league during his prime and has played as a top pairing defensemen on good ottawa teams. Neil was also considered on of the best 3rd/4th liners in the league in his prime and lets not forget alfie who was also here.

Legwand has played 1000 games over 15 seasons, and scored over 500 points. I certainly hope he's got the respect of his teammates.

You're just making my point, though. It's nice to have veteran NHLers on your team, but it's important that they are ACTUALLY GOOD AT PLAYING HOCKEY. Phillips and Neil aren't anymore.

BigBush*

There young stars have yet to learn how to play a well rounded game that you need to play to win (not just put up an impressive stat line). A team cannot afford to have so many one dimensional players.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Legwand has played 1000 games over 15 seasons, and scored over 500 points. I certainly hope he's got the respect of his teammates.

You're just making my point, though. It's nice to have veteran NHLers on your team, but it's important that they are ACTUALLY GOOD AT PLAYING HOCKEY. Phillips and Neil aren't anymore.

that isn't my point

I am sure legwand gets respect

but there is a difference being a young guy and coming onto a team and growing with the leadership core already there as opposed to a young player coming onto a team and two years later a vet comes and joins the team.

Different levels of respect with phillips and legwand as phillips is the ottawa senators and legwand isn't

The latter is what edm tried to do but a little too late

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
Really fun game today and nice to see the +ve impact of removing some of the slower players.

Not sure if we'll see a huge improvement in the standings this year, but pretty exciting to think about what the Sens would look like with just a few more decent skaters - especially on defence - in the lineup. We can only hope management connects the dots and moves towards that.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The Oilers stink because their players stink, not because they're lacking in expensive, over-the-hill players on their roster. For the past 10 years they've filled their D-corps and bottom 6 forwards with players who are nowhere near good enough to be in the NHL.

Seriously, go look at the Oilers rosters from 2 or more seasons ago. Anyone who's not a high first round pick is either retired or playing in the AHL/Europe now.

Do you know what kind of players effectively fill the roles to support the young exiting players?

Veterans

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
There young stars have yet to learn how to play a well rounded game that you need to play to win (not just put up an impressive stat line). A team cannot afford to have so many one dimensional players.

Do you actually think that the Oilers biggest problem is that Hall, RNH and Eberle aren't good enough? Seriously?

Look at the Oilers roster. It's OK, I'll wait.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000412015.html

You could swap out RNH and Hall with Crosby and Stamkos and that team still wouldn't make the playoffs.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Forward Lines by TOI

Stone (20:18) Turris (24:23) Mac (20:45)

Condra (18:51) Zbad (16:35) Ryan (17:49)

Chiasson (16:33) Lazar (16:30) Hoffman (11:35)

Greening (9:41) Legwand (12:05) Smith (7:04) --> injury?

D pairings by TOI

Cowen (23:30) EK (29:49)

Weir (19:42) Ceci (20:02)

Boro (17:39) Gryba (15:09)

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
Hey guys, we didn't play against Edmonton... maybe we can talk about the game... that we actually won!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Do you actually think that the Oilers biggest problem is that Hall, RNH and Eberle aren't good enough? Seriously?

You could swap out RNH and Hall with Crosby and Stamkos and that team still wouldn't make the playoffs.
they shouldnt lose 11 games in a row and be the worst team in the league...easily

there is no way Yakupov should be this lost on the ice he literally as no one too look up to for guidance in terms of players. Their youth don't know how to play at the nhl level. The coaches can point and show video all they want i guess

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

Stats aren't everything, there is clearly very poor character in that room and Ference even hinted it.
None of those guys play like a team.
They play like individuals. Not surprising that they can stack their stats like that playing like individuals though.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Forward Lines by TOI

Stone (20:18) Turris (24:23) Mac (20:45)

Condra (18:51) Zbad (16:35) Ryan (17:49)

Chiasson (16:33) Lazar (16:30) Hoffman (11:35)

Greening (9:41) Legwand (12:05) Smith (7:04) --> injury?

D pairings by TOI

Cowen (23:30) EK (29:49)

Weir (19:42) Ceci (20:02)

Boro (17:39) Gryba (15:09)

Pretty good, I wonder why Hoff didn't get at least 15 though.

Ryan getting roughly 18 isn't surprising considering his finger was haunting him during the game.

The Turris line actually generated quite a few chances and good cycle pressure. Chiasson had some crazy chances again.

BigBush*

I know their roster stinks, I live in Alberta and am surrounded by their fans.
I think Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov all look lost out there and try to do the same things over and over again because they are one dimensional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad