Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othello*

Michalek, Smith and Neil are all injured. If we trade Greening Pagaue will hopefully come up

BigBush*

You're not kidding. Replace them with youth from Bingo and/or a skilled UFA or two and we'd have a great future.

Yup, but not yet, wait a year or two. There's gonna be some fierce competition between Prince, Paul, and Pumpuel to see who can steal Michalek's spot

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
1-who thinks we missed philloooops this afternoon?
2-who thinks cameron did not choose the 3 right shootout players?
3-tell me macleaan would not have chosen Greening Legwand Gryba?
4-zib is so nice to watch when pressure is off his shoulders
5-Ryan is a beauty one on one with any goalie in the league
6-Time to play the kids more and scratch the country club me thinks

GO SENS GO

1-- not me
2-- not me
3-- not me
4-- true enough
5-- most of the time, yep
6-- it's overdue by several years

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
No Michalek, Phillips, Neil is SO refreshing.

Yes it is. I am very optimistic knowing that Cameron doesn't mind telling the washed up veterans to take a knee and think about how much they suck for a few games.

The extra ice time handed to Zib on even strength has made this team look a lot better over the past few games. It is a shame Maclean didn't
even experiment with this; it could have saved his job. What an idiot.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
:laugh: ya lets do what edm did

Edm sucks because they threw their youth into top roles with high responsibility, their coaches didn't take junior out of their game, and they have zero depth.

None of these apply to the Sens in that situation. Removing Phillips, Neil, Michalek, and Smith doesn't put the youth in any too big of a role for them. Most of our youth has been out of juniors for awhile, basically all but Lazar, and have be coached properly. Calling up the youth improves our depth and is way better then the Oilers.

BigBush*

Edm sucks because they threw their youth into top roles with high responsibility, their coaches didn't take junior out of their game, and they have zero depth.

None of these apply to the Sens in that situation. Removing Phillips, Neil, Michalek, and Smith doesn't put the youth in any too big of a role for them. Most of our youth has been out of juniors for awhile, basically all but Lazar, and have be coached properly. Calling up the youth improves our depth and is way better then the Oilers.

True, But if I'm cutting these vets for a Bingo player, I want it to be because that Bingo player has been a dominant AHL player and is forcing his way onto the team. I don't want our young guys to be given a roster spot because our vets aren't playing well right now.

The only guy I think deserves that right now is Pageau. I don't follow Bingo to closely though, maybe Prince or Pumpuel deserve a call up, but I feel they need more time in the AHL

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Fwiw, Cameron said in his post game interview that he did not bench Phillips because of his play, but because we have depth and we have to use our depth.

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
So if we take out the 1000 games for Phillips, 850 for Neil, 600 for Methot, 500 for Michalek, we basically had a VERY inexperienced team out there.

I've been impress through the losing streak that the players play to the final buzzer. If they can cut back on the brain-farts, we'll have an entertaining and tenacious team that's hard to play against.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
:laugh: ya lets do what edm did

The Oilers stink because their players stink, not because they're lacking in expensive, over-the-hill players on their roster. For the past 10 years they've filled their D-corps and bottom 6 forwards with players who are nowhere near good enough to be in the NHL.

Seriously, go look at the Oilers rosters from 2 or more seasons ago. Anyone who's not a high first round pick is either retired or playing in the AHL/Europe now.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Its funny how we all want Legwand off the pp, but yet most of his goals are pp goals.

He is even top 20 in powerplay goals right now.

BigBush*

The Oilers stink because their players stink, not because they're lacking in expensive, over-the-hill players on their roster. For the past 10 years they've filled their D-corps and bottom 6 forwards with players who are nowhere near good enough to be in the NHL.

Seriously, go look at the Oilers rosters from 2 or more seasons ago. Anyone who's not a high first round pick is either retired or playing in the AHL/Europe now.

There are a lot of reasons. Yes their drafting has been one of them.

Horcoff was right when he said its tough to get respect and to teach the kids to play the right way when they just step into the league and take the vets roster spots and ice time.

It's showing with their players now who have been in the league for a while and still don't play the right way

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How were we able to play well without 8+ year veterans. Not even just play well. We persevered. It was a hard gritty victory. Arent aging vets like an absolute must for wins like this????? Don't the two things go hand in hand??? How did we do it. Did we break science?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

the jump from the AHL to NHL is still pretty big and throwing players into roles they arent ready for which we HAVEN't done with guys like Stone, Hoffman, Zibby, Turris, Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci,Boro, Gryba

All those guys were eased in and surrounded by vets they weren't just given top line spots. Even Karlsson was given hard lessons when he started but he had guys like Phillips and Gonchar around to fill in and help. Ceci was stapled to phillips most of last year and we have seen how ottawa has taken time with Hoffman but also did not just toss him into a top line role just cause he got 30 goals in the ahl. Zibby came in as a 3rd line center who had turris and spezza infront to show him how to be a professional and lets not forget Turris has spezza and Alfie and now has Macarthur

I doubt Turris turns into the player he is if we just threw him onto the top line from the start

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
There are a lot of reasons. Yes their drafting has been one of them.

Horcoff was right when he said its tough to get respect and to teach the kids to play the right way when they just step into the league and take the vets roster spots and ice time.

It's showing with their players now who have been in the league for a while and still don't play the right way

That happens because the Oilers veteran players are all terrible.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How were we able to come back fightin after we went down? We didn't have Neil. He always swings momentum. He is the key in comebacks...

And Phillips. How did these young dmen even know what to do without Phillips giving them advice and leading them? Or Michalek. All our forwards were backchecking like crazy but Michalek wasn't there setting the example. None of this makes any sense. Any at all.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How were we able to play well without 8+ year veterans. Not even just play well. We persevered. It was a hard gritty victory. Arent aging vets like an absolute must for wins like this????? Don't the two things go hand in hand??? How did we do it. Did we break science?

oh i didn't know the season was 1 game. Did we not beat St Louis with the vets in the lineup? see how stupid that argument is

Its the learning aspect that is important off and on the ice which Edm is struggling with mightly

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Its funny how we all want Legwand off the pp, but yet most of his goals are pp goals.

He is even top 20 in powerplay goals right now.

I actually think he's been playing well in recent games. At least, compared to the games in the earlier part of the season

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
oh i didn't know the season was 1 game. Did we not beat St Louis with the vets in the lineup? see how stupid that argument is

Its the learning aspect that is important off and on the ice which Edm is struggling with mightly
Lmao. It was a sarcastic remark(kinda) to everyone said that as soon as you take our Phillip and Neil and Michalek (dribble Nhlers except Michalek who is an ok third liner) we would suddenly regress into the oilers. You don't need these guys playing game in game out. And you certainly don't need them making that much money

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
That was a fun game to watch, actually the last two have been good. Everyone pulling in the same direction. So many good plays with no quit. Impossible to give Cameron full credit yet, but this is more than just showing what you've got to a new coach. No conclusions yet but let's see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad