Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I missed a fair bit of the games, catching most of the 2nd, and a bit of the 1st, as well as hearing some of the 3rd on the radio, but my impression of the game wasn't all that positive despite the win.

I thought we played much better against LA, Van, and Pit.

There were some things I liked, and some things that were cringe worthy. But hey, 2 pts is nice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah the TkA and GvA data are total garbage. They're pretty subjective in a lot of instances.

The problem I have is it's arena specific, and can be subject to rink bias. I think it would be nice if the NHL compiled their stats centrally (ie from video feeds to HQ) eliminating rink bias. Sportsvu might just do that if/when it's implemented.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
But those are our competitive veterans. That's what veterans bring.
Point. We need better veterans. Let's just take away ohillips and Neil and Michalek and smith and greening and put all their money into a super-veteran.

Gordie Howe is doing better. Turris and Zibanejad would look way better if Howe could stabilize the #1 Center role.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I tired to tune into the game on the radio in the car, was able to catch maybe 5 minutes but about 4 minutes was all Dean Brown and Gord Wilson giggling and talking about absolutely nothing. Worst pair on the radio. So unprofessional

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
plus one goaltending that is the difference in the game amongst other things:naughty:

How the hell did Karlsson get zero TkA, what's their metric for it especially since they say he has 5 GVA. The guy took the puck away 2-3 times in the corner from attacking forwards and intercepted 3-4 plays in neutral zone and in his own zone. Twice in OT.

The guy has way way more TkA than he does GVA, whoever tracks those stats is clueless.

interceptions don't count as TkA's they count as GvA's against the other the team.

No clue why he didn't have any TkA's. Everyone says to use road stats because statisticians will be less biased.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I tired to tune into the game on the radio in the car, was able to catch maybe 5 minutes but about 4 minutes was all Dean Brown and Gord Wilson giggling and talking about absolutely nothing. Worst pair on the radio. So unprofessional

Yeah they're virtually unlistenable when they're together. I can't stand Dean Brown period, but Wilson is ok on his own or when paired with anyone else.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah they're virtually unlistenable when they're together. I can't stand Dean Brown period, but Wilson is ok on his own or when paired with anyone else.

What is it about Dean Brown that people don't like?

Same question about Gord Wilson?

I have my own views but want to know what others think with specific things identified.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
There no words to express how happy I am for Cameron to be the better coach and scratch a veteran like Phillips. He truly values winning and he is ready to do what ever it takes to do it.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I missed a fair bit of the games, catching most of the 2nd, and a bit of the 1st, as well as hearing some of the 3rd on the radio, but my impression of the game wasn't all that positive despite the win.

I thought we played much better against LA, Van, and Pit.

There were some things I liked, and some things that were cringe worthy. But hey, 2 pts is nice.

Refer to the game stats. Basically nothing to complain about.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Refer to the game stats. Basically nothing to complain about.

We were slaughtered at the faceoff dot and in the limited time I did see the Bruins must have hit iron 3 or 4 times. We were pretty brutal on the 1st few power plays and it culminated in a shorthanded goal against.

Maybe I just caught the bad stuff but I find people around here let the end result colour their perception so I'm not sure. I did find the effort level was very good though.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
we still have some really bad giveaways like turris on the pp and boro had a simple play turned over right infront of the net

we need to find a way to furthur minimize those

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We were slaughtered at the faceoff dot and in the limited time I did see the Bruins must have hit iron 3 or 4 times. We were pretty brutal on the 1st few power plays and it culminated in a shorthanded goal against.

Maybe I just caught the bad stuff but I find people around here let the end result colour their perception so I'm not sure. I did find the effort level was very good though.

Yep. I was dead tired and basically listened to the game on TV while laying down. Most of the game it was Lehner, Lehner, Lehner! Sounded like was basically leaned on our goalie for most of the game.

Hard to tell as I wasn't physically watching the game, though.

But the objective is to win, and that's what the guys did. Now let's see if they can put together something, or will they do like they always do and fall flat next game.....

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Lehner is so inconsistent, but mostly good as long as he doesn't have to handle the puck.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I have my own views but want to know what others think with specific things identified.

It was overtime...I was getting ready for work...right outside my door is the TV. I would get ready in my room during whistles and wait for the commentary to start on my radio to run out the room and not miss a second.

Twice they rambled on for 30 seconds about nothing...check the TV....odd man rush in ot. But they're talking about some fishing trip? If that's not enough to get them fired, what is?

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
It was overtime...I was getting ready for work...right outside my door is the TV. I would get ready in my room during whistles and wait for the commentary to start on my radio to run out the room and not miss a second.

Twice they rambled on for 30 seconds about nothing...check the TV....odd man rush in ot. But they're talking about some fishing trip? If that's not enough to get them fired, what is?

Constantly narrating word for word the play that is going on the ice gets monotonous and simply boring quickly. If they did that I would definitely mute the game and put tunes on every game, which I do for most games anyways.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

I really like Dean Brown. I don't normally listen to games on the radio but I did last week and it reminded me of how much I missed him as play by play for TV.

The TSN crew has been terrible, not a fan at all and I mostly tune them out because they never say anything interesting.

Listening to Dean and Potvin felt like you were hanging out with them in a bar. I prefer that style of broadcasting opposed to suits and ties repeating cliches and being afraid of saying anything off script.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
we still have some really bad giveaways like turris on the pp and boro had a simple play turned over right infront of the net

we need to find a way to furthur minimize those

Yeah, still some errors from the system in my mind. There were a few times today where the D just did not have any options with the puck - that's a major issue. Whether it's bad changes or what, the D need places to go with it where you don't have to beat someone to get it there. That happens too often - and along with the too-often 'human' errors, it spells trouble.

I also really noted today that Boston is much better in puck support. To a man they support and roll coverage in a much more timely and effective manner than we ever do, taking away time and space, and outmanning us along the boards and coming away with the puck. It was almost clinical, I'd wager the board battle numbers would be similar to the lobsided face-off numbers.

I'm hoping regular lines will help us here, knowing what to expect from your linemates is so important in this game. A giveaway like Cowen's where he tried to against the flow and give it back to Zibby, Zibby wasn't there b/c it took him by surprise, also. Now, in that instance, Cowen had a simple play b/c he had another option in the other corner, but that's not a play that has to fail - but your forward has to know it might be coming. Just not on the same page. Also, I'm hoping there's a page at all. ;)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
interceptions don't count as TkA's they count as GvA's against the other the team.

No clue why he didn't have any TkA's. Everyone says to use road stats because statisticians will be less biased.

I would count it as a save :yo:
If he doesn't stop that its a goal by marchand

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I really like Dean Brown. I don't normally listen to games on the radio but I did last week and it reminded me of how much I missed him as play by play for TV.

The TSN crew has been terrible, not a fan at all and I mostly tune them out because they never say anything interesting.

Listening to Dean and Potvin felt like you were hanging out with them in a bar. I prefer that style of broadcasting opposed to suits and ties repeating cliches and being afraid of saying anything off script.

He's fine on TV, because you can see what is happening with the play with your own eyes. On the radio, he is counted on to provide the listener play by play action because we dont know what it happening. Dean and Gord go off topic so much they stop being effective at there jobs. I don't care about inside jokes or what they're wearing. I want, nay, NEED to hear what is happening on the ice. It's what they're paid to do.

Tonight alone Dean dropped a 'Shake if off' reference about 10-12 times.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
There no words to express how happy I am for Cameron to be the better coach and scratch a veteran like Phillips. He truly values winning and he is ready to do what ever it takes to do it.

agreed

who cares about whining vets

we all want him to stick with his strat

the roster displayed this afternoon was better then most this season

and the choices for the shoutout... my god the difference compare to milo leggy and greenbean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad