News Article: Sens add Capuano to coaching staff

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
To that point he had 1 assist in 5 games. I don't think there is anything extraordinary about scratching an underperforming rookie in the playoffs.

Lee was the Islanders 2nd highest goal scorer in the regular season that year. A healthy scratch for 2 out of 7 games.

Brock Nelson was their 3rd highest goal scorer that season - and Capuano also made him a healthy scratch during that series.

That's like... Imagine we had somehow made the playoffs this year, and we scratched Brady Tkachuk because he was going through a bit of a rough spell.

I mean, look. I'm willing to give Cap a chance. Just because I don't like the hire on it's surface doesn't mean I've made up my mind forever about Jack Capuano. He seems like a nice guy. Maybe he'll be a homerun hire because he is best used in an assistant's role. But we don't know that yet. All I can do is judge the guy based on the evidence I have available to me, which is his tenure in the Islanders system, and the evidence I have suggests he might not be the best fit for where our team is at the moment.

I said the same thing before he was hired (in the Smith Hiring thread), so it's not like this is some gut reaction to us hiring him as a reflection of the state of the organization or anything. I just don't think he's a good head coach at the NHL level based on my observations. I still want the guy to succeed. I want all Sens players and coaches to succeed. I just have some doubts, and I don't think they are so ridiculous that they should be dismissed out of hand. At least you and I seem to be able to have a conversation about it though, which I certainly appreciate.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Capuano looks like Pierre Dorion's younger, "cooler" brother, haha.

image.jpg

6147362.jpg

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lee was the Islanders 2nd highest goal scorer in the regular season that year. A healthy scratch for 2 out of 7 games.

Brock Nelson was their 3rd highest goal scorer that season - and Capuano also made him a healthy scratch during that series.

That's like... Imagine we had somehow made the playoffs this year, and we scratched Brady Tkachuk because he was going through a bit of a rough spell.

I mean, look. I'm willing to give Cap a chance. Just because I don't like the hire on it's surface doesn't mean I've made up my mind forever about Jack Capuano. He seems like a nice guy. Maybe he'll be a homerun hire because he is best used in an assistant's role. But we don't know that yet. All I can do is judge the guy based on the evidence I have available to me, which is his tenure in the Islanders system, and the evidence I have suggests he might not be the best fit for where our team is at the moment.

I said the same thing before he was hired (in the Smith Hiring thread), so it's not like this is some gut reaction to us hiring him as a reflection of the state of the organization or anything. I just don't think he's a good head coach at the NHL level based on my observations. I still want the guy to succeed. I want all Sens players and coaches to succeed. I just have some doubts, and I don't think they are so ridiculous that they should be dismissed out of hand. At least you and I seem to be able to have a conversation about it though, which I certainly appreciate.

well I get your point about Brady. Thing is he's a physical player that is more likely to thrive

you made a claim about him developing players.

I read up on it. 2 of the 3 articles I read about Capuano that referenced player dev referred to player dev as a strength.

you also claimed he was a healthy scratch which he was. the only article I can find on that suggests it was warranted. I did find another article where Lee referenced his being scratched as a motivator.

And your claim that he took off after Capuano was fired....I don't really buy that.

you don't want to like the man go ahead and fill your boats. Based on the reading I've done, I'll give him a chance and I'm happy we hired some experience

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
well I get your point about Brady. Thing is he's a physical player that is more likely to thrive

you made a claim about him developing players.

I read up on it. 2 of the 3 articles I read about Capuano that referenced player dev referred to player dev as a strength.

you also claimed he was a healthy scratch which he was. the only article I can find on that suggests it was warranted. I did find another article where Lee referenced his being scratched as a motivator.

And your claim that he took off after Capuano was fired....I don't really buy that.

you don't want to like the man go ahead and fill your boats. Based on the reading I've done, I'll give him a chance and I'm happy we hired some experience

I'm happy that you're happy with the hire. Despite what some people think, this board isn't about dictating to others, an opinion I'm sure you can appreciate given the past 2 years here on HFSens. We're allowed to have opposing opinions on things from time to time.

I'm just offering my opinion - that the Islanders experienced some mild success despite Capuano, not because of him. I get that I seem to be in the minority here. I'm ok with that. If I'm wrong about Capuano, I'll own it like I always do.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Couple things. He’s not head coach here so I don’t know why that matters so much. He has been an assistant now for two years so his work there would be more relevant IMO. Just curious, since it’s hard to judge the work of an assistant, how would you judge his performance after three years, especially since we’re likely to be bad next year regardless?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Couple things. He’s not head coach here so I don’t know why that matters so much. He has been an assistant now for two years so his work there would be more relevant IMO. Just curious, since it’s hard to judge the work of an assistant, how would you judge his performance after three years, especially since we’re likely to be bad next year regardless?
Was he in charge of the defense and pk in Florida as well? Because I have some bad news if he was... the pattern of underachieving seems to follow the guy.

Man, if we got the two guys running Florida and Toronto's D last year as our coach's now, that could make for some interesting results next season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Was he in charge of the defense and pk in Florida as well? Because I have some bad news if he was... the pattern of underachieving seems to follow the guy.

Man, if we got the two guys running Florida and Toronto's D last year as our coach's now, that could make for some interesting results next season.

Eh. Florida's PK has been middle-of-the-road-ish the past few seasons. Nothing disastrous, nothing spectacular. The special teams weren't what held the Panthers back... It's their 5-on-5 defence that was putrid the past two seasons. Like... almost as bad as ours has been.

They had the good sense not to play Chris Wideman after acquiring him and getting an up-close look at him though, so credit where credit's due - they're not a lost cause. :laugh:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Eh. Florida's PK has been middle-of-the-road-ish the past few seasons. Nothing disastrous, nothing spectacular. The special teams weren't what held the Panthers back... It's their 5-on-5 defence that was putrid the past two seasons. Like... almost as bad as ours has been.

They had the good sense not to play Chris Wideman after acquiring him and getting an up-close look at him though, so credit where credit's due - they're not a lost cause. :laugh:
Their goals against wasn’t good but they were actually top 10 in shots against, surprisingly. I hope we can get some of that

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

A PK with Ekblad and Barkov shouldn't be middle of the road. That's about as elite as it gets for pkers.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
What's ridiculous? Was Smith even a legitimate candidate for any other NHL club?

Were other teams asking themselves "who was in charge of the Leafs D? I want that guy."

To answer your initial question, he was all but hired by Uncle Lou on the island last year until Trotz left Washington. Pretty widely regarded around the league as a bright future HC.

In regards to Capuano I’d be pissed if we hired him as bench boss. But I like him as assistant/associate. Some guys are just better served in complementary roles. Joe Sacco’s a good example of that in Boston right now. Dineen with Chicago. I’d argue Gulutzan is a really good assistant coach but in no way an ideal HC.

You stated previously there were dozens of more suitable candidates for the Sens needs than JCap. Was that a hyperbole? If not, would you care to provide a list? Maybe we could identify a potential forward group deployer.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Can't deny Tavares and the Isle had some good years with him after 6 years removed from playoffs.

You certainly can deny it. We have at least a handful of people in here that think his record was terrible in NY - despite having access to hockeydb like the rest of us...

I would probably be passionately against this hire if Capuano was hired as our HEAD coach. But Im still really having a hard time understanding why hes a bad choice for our assistant.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A PK with Ekblad and Barkov shouldn't be middle of the road. That's about as elite as it gets for pkers.
Detroit was 25th on the pk with Lidstrom and Datsyuk in 08-09 and won the presidents trophy that year. Boston was 28th with Chara and Bergeron in 07-08 and 16th the year they won the cup in 2011. New jersey was 19th in 01-02 with stevens Niedermayer Brodeur Elias and Holik.

Maybe being 10th in the league one year and 16th another isn't as much of a blemish as you suggest.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Too much negativity...

I think I like it, I don't like it, I'm wait and see on it... is enough. Really very hard to substantiate a great argument with fragments of a complete story

Reactions: Deku

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm willing to chalk up the below average defensive/PK numbers to bad goaltending when it comes to the Panthers the last few seasons. There's a reason there are rumours of them giving a Carey Price-ish contract to Bobrovsky.

Happy to have someone with HC experience behind the bench to help DJ out, and I'm especially happy given the low expectations I had to get someone half-competent in as an assistant coach.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm willing to chalk up the below average defensive/PK numbers to bad goaltending when it comes to the Panthers the last few seasons. There's a reason there are rumours of them giving a Carey Price-ish contract to Bobrovsky.

Happy to have someone with HC experience behind the bench to help DJ out, and I'm especially happy given the low expectations I had to get someone half-competent in as an assistant coach.
Florida had some of the best shot repression numbers on the PK last year regardless of what metric you use. Can't say i watched them close enough to know why the still struggled other than goaltending.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Don't know much about him other than his hair styling's as I didn't follow his time very closely on the island. Generally am against re-tread style coaches and prefer younger guys who aren't necessarily entrenched in their views. Wish him and DJ the best of luck !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad