News Article: Sens add Capuano to coaching staff

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Who says that hes terrible at developing players? You?

Please show me all of the great young players that he failed to develop and/or stunted on those Islanders teams of his.....I feel like I see more cases of lesser players raising their games under him than whatever it is you are suggesting.
Nino Niederriter and Ryan Strome would be the poster boys here. Bailey, Mayfield, Pulock and Beauvellier have had their careers transformed after Capuano was finally let go. One wonders if Barzal could have thrived as he has if Capuano was still around he easily could have ended up as Strome or Okposo if Capuano was still there to foster mediocrity.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What's ridiculous? Was Smith even a legitimate candidate for any other NHL club?

Were other teams asking themselves "who was in charge of the Leafs D? I want that guy."

I mean, maybe? Dorion wanted to interview him back in 2015 and the Leafs said no. It was mentionned that he finished near the top of a "assistant most likely to head coach" NHLPA player poll one year.

At the end of the day Babcock called the shots. We will see how the Sens play under Smith. It was a discouraging hire but Dorion went with this gut, because that's all he knows: he is a scout.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I mean, maybe? Dorion wanted to interview him back in 2015 and the Leafs said no. It was mentionned that he finished near the top of a "assistant most likely to head coach" NHLPA player poll one year.

At the end of the day Babcock called the shots. We will see how the Sens play under Smith. It was a discouraging hire but Dorion went with this gut, because that's all he knows: he is a scout.
If Smith was hired because Dorion was going with his gut, that's all we really need to know to justify calling it a bad hire.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Nino Niederriter and Ryan Strome would be the poster boys here. Bailey, Mayfield, Pulock and Beauvellier have had their careers transformed after Capuano was finally let go. One wonders if Barzal could have thrived as he has if Capuano was still around he easily could have ended up as Strome or Okposo if Capuano was still there to foster mediocrity.

Awful lot of exaggeration here. Mayfield played something like 15 games under Capuano. Pulock played 16 and Beauvellier played half a season, yet their careers transformed because he was fired...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nino Niederriter and Ryan Strome would be the poster boys here. Bailey, Mayfield, Pulock and Beauvellier have had their careers transformed after Capuano was finally let go.

Don't forget about Lee.

Lee went from being an under-utilized secondary scorer to core piece almost overnight after Capuano got canned.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Awful lot of exaggeration here. Mayfield played something like 15 games under Capuano. Pulock played 16 and Beauvellier played half a season, yet their careers transformed because he was fired...

We shall see what this new coaching staff can do with this last place team next season. I doubt that they will exceed expectations of most fans and pundits. I am more concerned with ownership and GM who have screwed up the on-ice performance and left this team without quality vets.

Reactions: Yak

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Lol.. but both Strome and Okposo had their best seasons (by far) under Capuano, and then left NYI and went on to suck elsewhere.. so what are you talking about? Neideritter was traded after his 19yr old season. You do realize that Capuano was NOT the GM, right?

And everyone else you mentioned were mostly teenagers or very young 20 somethings under Jack. Is is so hard to believe that they just simply kept developing after he left? Not all players are ready to go at 19yrs old...

Your being way over dramatic.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol.. but both Strome and Okposo had their best seasons (by far) under Capuano, and then left NYI and went on to suck elsewhere.. so what are you talking about? Neideritter was traded after his 19yr old season. You do realize that Capuano was NOT the GM, right?

And everyone else you mentioned were mostly teenagers or very young 20 somethings under Jack. Is is so hard to believe that they just simply kept developing after he left? Not all players are ready to go at 19yrs old...

Your being way over dramatic.
So, am I to believe that Capuano played no part in the countless busts the Islanders churned out over his time as their AHL and NHL coach? Am I supposed to ignore that the minute he left town they became a great playoff team that is led by their young players? Is this all just coincidence? Is there something deeper to Capuano than his abysmal coaching record and record with young talent?

You're honestly just trying to convince yourself that this isn't bad. No one of sound mind is going to look and Jack freaking Capuano and be inspired.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So, am I to believe that Capuano played no part in the countless busts the Islanders churned out over his time as their AHL and NHL coach? Am I supposed to ignore that the minute he left town they became a great playoff team that is led by their young players? Is this all just coincidence? Is there something deeper to Capuano than his abysmal coaching record and record with young talent?

You're honestly just trying to convince yourself that this isn't bad. No one of sound mind is going to look and Jack freaking Capuano and be inspired.

Good chat. Lets agree to disagree I suppose, this is going no where otherwise.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Don't forget about Lee.

Lee went from being an under-utilized secondary scorer to core piece almost overnight after Capuano got canned.

Horse shit. Lee scored 34g and 52pts under Jack. What the hell am I even reading on here?

The over exaggerated responses by you and FQL are getting embarrassing. We get it, your not crazy about the hire.

But both of you look silly when you say things like that above, and that his record was abysmal (FQL). Grab a dictionary and do yourselves a favour and look up that definition and then get back to me...

Edit: I see that this happened under weight/capuano now. But what is obvious is that Lee is a streaky player, he scored 25 goals 2 seasons earlier under Jack.

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Excellent hire. Nice to have an experienced assistant who the players will respect.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

that poll was 2018 and he finished AT the top of the poll - the poll was the assistant most likely to get a HC job

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Horse ****. Lee scored 34g and 52pts under Jack. What the hell am I even reading on here?

The over exaggerated responses by you and FQL are getting embarrassing. We get it, your not crazy about the hire.

But both of you look silly when you say things like that above, and that his record was abysmal (FQL). Grab a dictionary and do yourselves a favour and look up that definition and then get back to me...

Edit: I see that this happened under weight/capuano now. But what is obvious is that Lee is a streaky player, he scored 25 goals 2 seasons earlier under Jack.

Lee was in his 2nd season as a full time NHLer when Capuano got fired. Stands to reason he was going to continue to develop and he did and he eventually got some JT and PP time.

there are examples of guys that didn't progress under Capuano but Lee isn't one of them.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Horse ****. Lee scored 34g and 52pts under Jack.

Capuano was fired in January of that season, and Lee exploded in impact, responsibility and role after Cap was canned.

I've made like two posts, both of which have been polite, respectful, not attacking anyone's view on Cap, and observing as much cordiality as I can within the confines of a text-only forum.

You need to calm down. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good hire.

Sens coaching staff probably has the worst hair and wardrobe in the NHL

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Capuano was fired in January of that season, and Lee exploded in impact, responsibility and role after Cap was canned.

I've made like two posts, both of which have been polite, respectful, not attacking anyone's view on Cap, and observing as much cordiality as I can within the confines of a text-only forum.

You need to calm down. [mod]

Lee had 15 goals and played 19 mins TOI avg BEFORE he was fired at the half way mark. But please feel free to keep believing there was some miraculous transformation that happened after Jack left...

What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What a joke.

Well, we could have had an interesting and honest conversation as two people who are open to opposing views about player usage, and responsibility, and coaching decisions like healthy scratching Lee multiple in crucial playoff games from a series the Islanders lost...

But if you're going to act like this, then I'm not going to waste my time debating this with someone who is insisting on engaging with this community like a child.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
here's an article that discusses Anders Lee being scratched in the playoffs. To that point he had 1 assist in 5 games. I don't think there is anything extraordinary about scratching an underperforming rookie in the playoffs.

Nelson, Lee get less ice time in playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad