News Article: Sens add Capuano to coaching staff

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Don't really know anything about him, other than he had some pretty bad hair when coaching on the Island. I like that he has recent head coaching experience in the league and was once a defenceman. Good hire. Thumbs up, or shall I say hugs and hi 5s to Pierre Dorion and DJ Smith on this hire.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
A decent pickup. Capuano has some flaws, but he is a players coach. Senators will enjoy working with him, and as long as he isn't making the final decisions behind the bench (he was horrible when it came to making line adjustments, reacting to changes in momentum etc.), he can be a valuable addition to the coaching staff.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is a pretty solid hire for the Sens here. I’ll share opinions from some respected, knowledgable, and level-headed Islanders fans that echo my thoughts on this hire.

Reactions: Hutz and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seems like a good hire but we've said this before about a lot of coaches who ended up not working out here. However, so far so good in terms of knowledgeable & experienced NHL coaches IMO & hopefully they build the kind of team I like & play the kind of hockey I would like to see them play. They seem like two good no nonsense coaches who hopefully will have no room for soft players.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Seems like a good hire but we've said this before about a lot of coaches who ended up not working out here. However, so far so good in terms of knowledgeable & experienced NHL coaches IMO & hopefully they build the kind of team I like & play the kind of hockey I would like to see them play. They seem like two good no nonsense coaches who hopefully will have no room for soft players.
Hopefully they also don't reward players who play hard but are absolutely terrible

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There is value in doing this, all coaches do this and every manager in every work place does as well.

The Sens did it too much but I'm amazed people seem to not understand the value of rewarding people who follow the process properly.
I do understand but there comes a point where justifying the reward regardless of outcome becomes a hindrance.

Regarding your first point. A good manager would manage his people accordingly if results are not met.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I do understand but there comes a point where justifying the reward regardless of outcome becomes a hindrance.

Regarding your first point. A good manager would manage his people accordingly if results are not met.

I don't disagree but this team is owned and run by people who don't seem to care about results, only about potential and cost-cutting.

Reactions: topshelf15

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I wonder if he’ll run the forwards/PP or PK/Defence, or some different combination of the 4.

In DJ's initial interview with TSN, he mentioned how he could never imagine having an assistant run the Defense without having played the position, so my assumption is that Jack will run the D.

He also mentioned bringing in another assistant with some forward/PP experience.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
In DJ's initial interview with TSN, he mentioned how he could never imagine having an assistant run the Defense without having played the position, so my assumption is that Jack will run the D.

He also mentioned bringing in another assistant with some forward/PP experience.

Yup just heard him comfirm that himself too.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Capuano is clearly a lousy coach with no credibility in the league and obviously no opportunity elsewhere

Is this serious?

I have no idea why anyone is down on him tbh. He had some very mediocre teams in NY, and pulled out multiple strong seasons in between some playoff misses.

He might not be a great HC, but hes clearly got more than enough experience to be the assistant coach on the Ottawa Senators. And we could have done much, much, much worse imo...

Last edited:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Oh neat! I assume confirming that Jack will cover D and PK, or did they elaborate on hiring another assistant?

Not as of yet. I'm wondering what former forward they could use if Kelly’s going back to development. Jack’s accent is awesome btw. Thick Atlantic North Eastern. Sounds extremely New York. From Rhode Island.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad