News Article: Sens add Capuano to coaching staff

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is this serious?

I have no idea why anyone is down on him tbh. He had some very mediocre teams in NY, and pulled out multiple strong seasons in between some playoff misses.

He might not be a great HC, but hes clearly got more than enough experience to be the assistant coach on the Ottawa Senators. And we could have done much, much, much worse imo...

it was a few things but serious wasn't one of them

I'm quite fine with the hire

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The best part about this hire is that it gives fans like me and everyone else a small glimmer of hope and creates a sense of excitement about who else they could be bringing in.

Funny what even a little bit of good news does to a sunken fanbase. They do, however, still have a long at to go.

Reactions: RaMai and Ice-Tray

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
The best part about this hire is that it gives fans like me and everyone else a small glimmer of hope and creates a sense of excitement about who else they could be bringing in.

Funny what even a little bit of good news does to a sunken fanbase. They do, however, still have a long at to go.
As in staff or players?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ugh.

Capuano can't develop young players at all. Modern hockey strategy might as well be the moon to this guy. In addition to all this, he's the ultimate "hard work = rewards" coach who favors 4th line scrubs who "play smart" without an ounce of skill to actual skilled players.

Not a fan of this hire at all. Thank god he's only an assistant, where the damage he can inflict is reduced.

As an upside, he's miles better than Crawford was... So we've got that going for us, I guess? :dunno:

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Ugh.

Capuano can't develop young players at all. Modern hockey strategy might as well be the moon to this guy. In addition to all this, he's the ultimate "hard work = rewards" coach who favors 4th line scrubs who "play smart" without an ounce of skill to actual skilled players.

Not a fan of this hire at all. Thank god he's only an assistant, where the damage he can inflict is reduced.

As an upside, he's miles better than Crawford was... So we've got that going for us, I guess? :dunno:
Seems like he works very well with younger players according to all sources and encourages offense.

He will be a huge upgrade on Marty Raymond and the other guy too

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seems like he works very well with younger players according to all sources

Players LIKE him a lot. By all record, Capuano is a real nice guy. He's not good at developing them though.

There's a difference between the two.

He will be a huge upgrade on Marty Raymond and the other guy too

Sure, agreed... But that's not exactly a high bar.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ugh.

Crawford won a cup & modern hockey strategy is so over rated just like analytics was when it was first introduced. Hockey hasn't changed all that much over the yrs, it's the players who are changing & playing it faster & better because they are being coached so much better & trained so much better at such a younger age. They have to be smarter, make decisions quicker & move the puck faster. This should be an interesting yr.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Look we hit it out of the park with DJ right? We can't expect all coaching hires to bring the same level of positive anticipation. I am ok with the hire . He has experience. He's been vetted via Boughner I assume, given the connection with DJ.. so not a bad place to start.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Players LIKE him a lot. By all record, Capuano is a real nice guy. He's not good at developing them though.

I think that's the #1 element needed for an assistant coach especially on this team. I would say the head coach is way more important for development and strategy, like you already mentioned. Overall I think this is a positive hire for the team going forward.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think that's the #1 element needed for an assistant coach especially on this team. I would say the head coach is way more important for development and strategy, like you already mentioned. Overall I think this is a positive hire for the team going forward.
How is it positive? If you frame it from the perspective that he's an upgrade on our league worst coaching staff, I suppose you can but he's still a bottom of the barrel hire when literally dozens to hundreds of better options are out there.

We're a rebuilding/development team and we just went out and hired a guy who is terrible in fostering that.

He's just another yes man. That's what he was on the island and that's why he's here to work for Melnyk and the rest of his sycophants.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
How is it positive? If you frame it from the perspective that he's an upgrade on our league worst coaching staff, I suppose you can but he's still a bottom of the barrel hire when literally dozens to hundreds of better options are out there.

We're a rebuilding/development team and we just went out and hired a guy who is terrible in fostering that.

He's just another yes man. That's what he was on the island and that's why he's here to work for Melnyk and the rest of his sycophants.
The assistant coach has nothing to do with Melnyk. I think it’s a positive move due to his ability to work with young players and his experience. That’s fine if you don’t. It seems that 90% of people on here think it’s a good move though, which is rarely the case.

Edit: and I should say whether you like the guy or not, he will get no credit or blame for anything that happens going forward

Last edited:
Reactions: Clayonator

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

well I spent 15 minutes reading on that having Googled Jack Capuano developing young players. Of the articles I read that mentioned his ability to develop young players, 2 spoke highly of his ability and 1 spoke negatively of his ability.

you can go down the line of successes and failures at the player level and there are both. the issue with failure though is it isn't always attributable to player development. Sometimes it is poor drafting.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The assistant coach has nothing to do with Melnyk. I think it’s a positive move due to his ability to work with young players and his experience. That’s fine if you don’t. It seems that 90% of people on here think it’s a good move though, which is rarely the case.

Edit: and I should say whether you like the guy or not, he will get no credit or blame for anything that happens going forward
These coaches have a ton to do with Melnyk. Melnyk is unwilling to pay a qualified NHL calibre coach and therefore we get RC Cola quality DJ Smith and Capuano to develop our prized prospects in Ottawa when they should be toiling somewhere in the ECHL or Division 2.

We're setting ourselves up to under achieve even as a bottom feeder. We can't expect to grow our young guys with guys like this leading the charge. You may not think he or anyone has any affect on that, but just because you're uninformed and willing to tow the company line doesn't make it true. Capuano and Smith are cut from the same cloth as Dorion. These guys are losers and we're building an organization of losers.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
These coaches have a ton to do with Melnyk. Melnyk is unwilling to pay a qualified NHL calibre coach and therefore we get RC Cola quality DJ Smith and Capuano to develop our prized prospects in Ottawa when they should be toiling somewhere in the ECHL or Division 2.

We're setting ourselves up to under achieve even as a bottom feeder. We can't expect to grow our young guys with guys like this leading the charge. You may not think he or anyone has any affect on that, but just because you're uninformed and willing to tow the company line doesn't make it true. Capuano and Smith are cut from the same cloth as Dorion. These guys are losers and we're building an organization of losers.
Those comments about Smith are ridiculous and I’m not going to bother. Have a good one.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Who says that hes terrible at developing players? You?

Please show me all of the great young players that he failed to develop and/or stunted on those Islanders teams of his.....I feel like I see more cases of lesser players raising their games under him than whatever it is you are suggesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad