News Article: Sens add Capuano to coaching staff

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's crazy that casual fans can see this so clearly, yet guys paid millions can botch only the worst way possible. Do these people just lack complete insight outside of evauating dollars and hockey talent/rebuilding plans?

Sure but try and remember that you have zero inside information save for one or two tweets that offer little but what a third party has ‘heard’ at this point, and none of it offers anything towards reasoning.

Typically there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that would clarify decision making. Doesn’t mean that everyone would agree with it, but making assumptions that decisions are stupid based next to no information is a recipe for making the poster look foolish if and when more information comes out.

Under no circumstances would I be making claims of knowing what’s better in this situation given what we know. What I do know is that I want the team to be making decisions based on what’s best for the team first, before considering what’s best for the player/coach.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
False equivalence. Common practice in the league is that you don’t block a person from a chance to move up. The Leafs paid Keene as an NHL coach in the AHL to keep him. Stopping an associate coach from getting a chance to be a head coach is bush league. There is no defending this move.

I would agree with you if I was party to the reasoning and then could apply my personal opinion to it. But we aren’t so we can’t.

Supposition is great, but let’s not pretend as though there is no way to defend the block. It does happen often enough, and no it isn’t always for a coach that the team expects to be head coach eventually.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Personally, if they want continuity in a very important year for our young D, and have an eye to bring up Mann next year after Cap’s contract is up, why in the world would the team have to go through the pain in the ass to hire a new D coach, train them in the system for a year, then dismiss them for the they guy they want.

It makes a lot more sense to have Mann in Belleville for one more year to help the main pieces along, while having Cap fulfill his contract with the young D in Ottawa. That is a succession plan for staff that makes a lot of sense, and one that should NOT be shuffled about because Cap wants out of his deal early.

It’s an example of a potential plan that I would be behind 100%. If it’s not that and they are just being dicks for fun, then sure, I’ll jump on board the gate train with the rest of you, but until we know for sure, I’m fine with Cap doing his last year without assumptions of the team being big meanies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It makes a lot more sense to have Mann in Belleville for one more year to help the main pieces along, while having Cap fulfill his contract with the young D in Ottawa. That is a succession plan for staff that makes a lot of sense, and one that should NOT be shuffled about because Cap wants out of his deal early.
I'd agree with most of your post on principle, but it's this last bit that I struggle with. It's not Capuano just wanting out — that'd be one thing and I'd be firmly on the org's side. But he has an opportunity at career advancement that he's not likely getting here, and we said no. We're stifling a man's career because it's not convenient for us as a team. That just feels wrong.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Personally, if they want continuity in a very important year for our young D, and have an eye to bring up Mann next year after Cap’s contract is up, why in the world would the team have to go through the pain in the ass to hire a new D coach, train them in the system for a year, then dismiss them for the they guy they want.

It’s an example of a potential plan that I would be behind 100%. If it’s not that and they are just being dicks for fun, then sure, I’ll jump on board the gate train with the rest of you, but until we know for sure, I’m fine with Cap doing his last year without assumptions of the team being big meanies.

Tbh the situation you just layed out makes it worse lol

So we expect to replace you in year because we have someone internally already, but in the meantime we're not gonna let you pursue any options for a better job

Just because its part of a plan that benefits the org doesn't negate it from being a dick move.

I think if they were in trade talks or they didn't think buffalo was reaching out in good faith for whatever reason it makes more sense to block the meeting. Other scenario is if they were planning on promoting him but I hope that's not the case and doubt that to be the situation

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Hey, if the plan is to promote him, it's all good, might want to communicate that to Capuano, might change his reported feelings over the move. DJ might have some reservations about that plan though.

It would also be a really weird plan to hire a rookie HC to start the job and groom the experienced guy to take over...

The Sabers should not be allowed to do stuff like this plain and simple. The are not allowed to talk to him if they announce to the world they want to talk to him it's basically offering him a job and 'talking' to him. They had no right after they were told no to spill the beans
Like you said if they are going to promote him or not DJ now has to have that in the back of his mind
.If good enough reasons are not presented to Cap he is now upset.
It was super lame Buffalo pulled this poop.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'd agree with most of your post on principle, but it's this last bit that I struggle with. It's not Capuano just wanting out — that'd be one thing and I'd be firmly on the org's side. But he has an opportunity at career advancement that he's not likely getting here, and we said no. We're stifling a man's career because it's not convenient for us as a team. That just feels wrong.
No no you got it all wrong, the Senators control and will always control for all time the career prospects of Jack Capuano, and stonewalling his progress is exactly what he deserves

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The Sabers should not be allowed to do stuff like this plain and simple. The are not allowed to talk to him if they announce to the world they want to talk to him it's basically offering him a job and 'talking' to him. They had no right after they were told no to spill the beans
Like you said if they are going to promote him or not DJ now has to have that in the back of his mind
.If good enough reasons are not presented to Cap he is now upset.
It was super lame Buffalo pulled this poop.
Ya I mean who asks to interview coaches. It's crazy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Ya I mean who asks to interview coaches. It's crazy

How do you know it isn't super common to say no but other teams have enough class and understand the drama it would cause so they keep it under wraps? Do you honestly think these guys even talk about half of what goes on behind closed doors?
If DJ was not passed over for Keefe and was not going to be fired Toronto would have told us to get bent.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
This has probably already been discussed but you'd have to think Capuano is the easy replacement if DJ is let go at some point next season

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How do you know it isn't super common to say no but other teams have enough class and understand the drama it would cause so they keep it under wraps? Do you honestly think these guys even talk about half of what goes on behind closed doors?
If DJ was not passed over for Keefe and was not going to be fired Toronto would have told us to get bent.
Toronto did tell us to get bent, the Sens asked to interview D.J in 2016. They asked again in 2019, and they let him because there was no promotion coming from his grooming anymore. Cap isn’t being groomed for anything, he’s a 10 year NHL vet who is assistant to a rookie head coach, there’s no succession plan for him here.

Could be Cap’s agent, or anyone privy to the information letting it out.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Nino Niederriter and Ryan Strome would be the poster boys here. Bailey, Mayfield, Pulock and Beauvellier have had their careers transformed after Capuano was finally let go. One wonders if Barzal could have thrived as he has if Capuano was still around he easily could have ended up as Strome or Okposo if Capuano was still there to foster mediocrity.

The biggest transformation has been Brock Nelson, who went from a lazy, soft, perimeter player to a well-rounded, solid #2C.

I don’t think Capuano is totally without merit though. He was in a bad spot with Snow as GM and Wang as owner.

Reactions: aragorn

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Toronto did tell us to get bent, the Sens asked to interview D.J in 2016. They asked again in 2019, and they let him because there was no promotion coming from his grooming anymore. Cap isn’t being groomed for anything, he’s a 10 year NHL vet who is assistant to a rookie head coach, there’s no succession plan for him here.

Could be Cap’s agent, or anyone privy to the information letting it out.

You have no idea what they wanted for Cap long term but it’s obvious they don’t want to let him go.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You have no idea what they wanted for Cap long term but it’s obvious they don’t want to let him go.
I’d assume they wanted him to be assistant coach for the 3 years, to their head coach they signed for 3 years.

I know that you don’t sign a rookie head coach to a 3 year deal and make an experienced head coach an assistant with a promotion in the plans for the assistant.

Yes, obviously they don’t want to let him go for a chance at advancing his position, and obviously Capuano isn’t happy about it.

Completely in the Sens rights to deny it, it’s just shitty in this situation, as every time it’s been denied in recent years (Stevens, Dubas, Blashill, McCrimmon) it’s been because they were being groomed to take a higher position with their organization, which they all did. Cap was in zero need of being groomed or moving up a ladde

Not sure how anyone, Capuano obviously one of these people as well, could think that Cap is in the organizations plans for a head coaching position. Mendes’s Athletic article on it sums things up extremely well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get the argument that he should finish his contract, hockey coach is obviously a bit different though in that you can't line up your next gig and finish off whatever's left on your current contract, there's a conflict of interest in having one foot out the door with the next team waiting for you to start so you can't interview without getting cleared to start immediately.

What I don't get is being unable to agree on things that are pretty damn obvious; you don't hire a 20 year vet coach to act as an associate to a rookie head coach with the intention of grooming that vet to take over. It just doesn't work that way.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Bush league. I’m not someone that craps on the org too much but this is indefensible.

And I'm not one to defend the organization, but how is this bush league? A contract was signed, presumably Capuno was not under duress to do so. If he or his agent wanted an out clause, shouldn't they have negotiated it?? I mean honestly, I think the Sens are doing him a favor here - that Sabres team is a complete and unmitigated disaster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And I'm not one to defend the organization, but how is this bush league? A contract was signed, presumably Capuno was not under duress to do so. If he or his agent wanted an out clause, shouldn't they have negotiated it?? I mean honestly, I think the Sens are doing him a favor here - that Sabres team is a complete and unmitigated disaster.
No out clauses for coaches

Doing him a favour? It's the difference between 1 year at ~300k and multi year 1+ mill per figure, and higher position.

Typically, if an employee is offered or considered for a promotion by another team, it's typically granted if a promotion isn't in the plans in the organization. Reporters and fans are questioning it, because a promotion isn't in the cards here, and if it is, that's a whole other can of worms. As Mendes reported, it's probably causing animosity for both Cap and D.J

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I’d assume they wanted him to be assistant coach for the 3 years, to their head coach they signed for 3 years.

I know that you don’t sign a rookie head coach to a 3 year deal and make an experienced head coach an assistant with a promotion in the plans for the assistant.

Yes, obviously they don’t want to let him go for a chance at advancing his position, and obviously Capuano isn’t happy about it.

Completely in the Sens rights to deny it, it’s just shitty in this situation, as every time it’s been denied in recent years (Stevens, Dubas, Blashill, McCrimmon) it’s been because they were being groomed to take a higher position with their organization, which they all did. Cap was in zero need of being groomed or moving up a ladde

Not sure how anyone, Capuano obviously one of these people as well, could think that Cap is in the organizations plans for a head coaching position. Mendes’s Athletic article on it sums things up extremely well.

Well I don’t remember everyone freaking out and calling out the leafs when they would not hand over DJ so the outrage seems a little fake to me.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well I don’t remember everyone freaking out and calling out the leafs when they would not hand over DJ so the outrage seems a little fake to me.
Doing this right after the team cut the coaching staff’s salary is pretty self-unaware. Doing this while we’re negotiating with Troy Mann for a new contract is completely idiotic.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
D.J was a 38 year old they were grooming, who had been coaching at the pro level for less than 10 months.

Once they realised they weren't promoting him to head coach, they allowed him to interview with the Sens while still under contract

If Cap were a guy the Sens were grooming, nobody would be making a big deal about it. Cap has been a pro coach for 20 years, and an NHL head coach for 7

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
D.J was a 38 year old they were grooming, who had been coaching at the pro level for less than 10 months.

Once they realised they weren't promoting him to head coach, they allowed him to interview with the Sens while still under contract

If Cap were a guy the Sens were grooming, nobody would be making a big deal about it. Cap has been a pro coach for 20 years, and an NHL head coach for 8

Once they decided they didn’t want him and we’re going to hire someone else it was fine...Grooming..lol ya right
It’s all the same when they wanted him they wanted him

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Once they decided they didn’t want him and we’re going to hire someone else it was fine...Grooming..lol ya right
It’s all the same when they wanted him they wanted him
Yeah, right. Sorry you don't grasp it that well, happens to everyone at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad