GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was just asking. Do whatever you want ... I'm gonna watch it with my friends and beer too. In CZE it'll start at 7:15pm.

The worst is when the game ends and you've drank too much either because you are really happy or really sad... then you realize it's not 4pm yet.lol

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who said it was lucky specifically because it was scored with 0.4 seconds left? Which people since you think there were many?

Sure that was a lucky goal but so was Hieschers then. Canada had the better scoring chances and more posession they were the better team and they won. It was in dramatic fashion but it wasnt because they are lucky.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Sure that was a lucky goal but so was Hieschers then. Canada had the better scoring chances and more posession they were the better team and they won. It was in dramatic fashion but it wasnt because they are lucky.
This is the new angle the haters are trying to work now, the "luck" factor.

And you knew it was coming, even old faithfuls like refs, home crowds, etc have to be given a rest some time to prevent too much overuse.In this business you have to be able to mix it up from time to time to keep things fresh and add to the catalog.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You gotta feel awful for the Swiss... this were so close to the huge upset. They had a great team at this tourney and played really nice hockey this time around. I actually thought they had the best chance of upsetting Canada.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is the new angle the haters are trying to work now, the "luck" factor.

And you knew it was coming, even old faithfuls like refs, home crowds, etc have to be given a rest some time to prevent too much overuse.In this business you have to be able to mix it up from time to time to keep things fresh and add to the catalog.

First Canada is a disgrace because so many players turned it down, now when they win games its luck. Its been a hilarious pattern in this thread.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You gotta feel awful for the Swiss... this were so close to the huge upset. They had a great team at this tourney and played really nice hockey this time around. I actually thought they had the best chance of upsetting Canada.

I dont feel aweful for them in the slightest, they beat Canada last year.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

Sometimes the better team doesn't win. Canada was the better team, just like the '19wjc Finns were the better team, and like the '19wjc Finns, Canada needed a bit of luck to win. There's no shame in that.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I dont feel aweful for them in the slightest, they beat Canada last year.

It is definitely an improving hockey nation. It's better for hockey in general when more teams improve. It's been Big 5 for awhile now. I can't think of another major sport with so few high caliber teams. Eg. Soccer has about 30 nations that could win a World Cup or Euro Cup. If the 30th ranked soccer nation in the world beat the 5th ranked nation in the world it wouldn't even be shocking. If it happened in hockey that would look like New Zealand beating the Finns.lol

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Having a 10% chance and getting it is the definition of luck. Again, it's not just the shot but the entire play. Not all shots are on target, not all shots get through, and Severson was lucky to get the rebound off of his previous blocked shot. The puck trickled in, but with just enough velocity to cross the goalline with 0.4 seconds. So 10% would be lucky enough, but really the odds were even worse than that.

You are beginning to sound like fellow Sens fans against the Rangers in the playoffs, where apparently it wasn't lucky when Pageau scored a late game-tying goal when the puck deflected off of his leg after bouncing off of two Rangers. Nothing lucky about that!

Shot didn't happen in a vacuum, it's part of their entire body of work throughout the game. Some went in, some didn't. It wasn't luck.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I gotta ask... this big argument over whether it was luck or not... it feels like it is between Canadian fans arguing with one another. Is that the case here?lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
whats our record at this thing against them lately anyway?
I don't know if this was answered... but I'm pretty sure that the last time the Czechs beat Canada at World's was 2010.

Normally I'd look it up but I really don't want to see all those scores again.lol

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Shot didn't happen in a vacuum, it's part of their entire body of work throughout the game. Some went in, some didn't. It wasn't luck.

Yeah, like I said, Canada was the better team. However they still needed a little luck to win. It happens. It was a lucky goal.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I'm just glad Canada keeps their SF appearance streak going, whatever this team accomplishes from here on is a bonus. Getting bounced out at the QF stage sucks and we had that streak going for five years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It is definitely an improving hockey nation. It's better for hockey in general when more teams improve. It's been Big 5 for awhile now. I can't think of another major sport with so few high caliber teams. Eg. Soccer has about 30 nations that could win a World Cup or Euro Cup. If the 30th ranked soccer nation in the world beat the 5th ranked nation in the world it wouldn't even be shocking. If it happened in hockey that would look like New Zealand beating the Finns.lol

Agreed the more competitve countries the better.

Reactions: dood

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm just glad Canada keeps their SF appearance streak going, whatever this team accomplishes from here on is a bonus. Getting bounced out at the QF stage sucks and we had that streak going for five years.
You should see some of the Czech quarter final streaks.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't know if this was answered... but I'm pretty sure that the last time the Czechs beat Canada at World's was 2010.

Normally I'd look it up but I really don't want to see all those scores again.lol
Yeah I looked it up and Canada has won 8 out of the last 10 meetings with the Czechs at the WHC.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Sometimes the better team doesn't win. Canada was the better team, just like the '19wjc Finns were the better team, and like the '19wjc Finns, Canada needed a bit of luck to win. There's no shame in that.
The thing is, I don't recall anyone calling it luck when the Finns won this past WJC, certainly not in what has been several threads now when it comes to that Canadian goal.

Everyone just heaped the praise on, way to go!! good job young lions!!

I don't see why it should be any different for us, do you?

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The thing is, I don't recall anyone calling it luck when the Finns won this past WJC, certainly not in what has been several threads now when it comes to that Canadian goal.

Everyone just heaped the praise on, way to go!! good job young lions!!

I don't see why it should be any different for us, do you?
Hockey is a game of inches, but like they say in Canada, "good to be lucky, lucky to be good!!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad