GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It will definitely be a close game. The strengths of Team Canada are obvious and they always send a competitive bunch of players over to the WC. Czechs (as every team) will definitely avoid underestimating Team Canada.

I don't think either team will "go down" as you pointed out. Canada shouldn't underestimate the Czechs: 1. CZ play their best hockey when under pressure (when there is lack of pressure they are usually more prone to error); 2. and don't forget, the game will be played in Bratislava (close to the CZ border) - the stadium will be packed and the atmosphere will be buzzing in SF. It is worth noting that Czechs beat both Sweden & Switzerland in the group stage. So the tough battle of Team Canada against the Swiss Team in yesterdays QF could be a reliable indicator of a somehow tight game.

Ultimately, I believe that the Czechs are the only team this year that have a fair chance at beating Russia (even though they lost to them in the group stage 3:0, hitting the pipes multiple times and the last goal of the Russians being an empty-netter). I know this is a bold claim to make, but the Russians usually suit us as an opponent. At least in the past we managed to win the WC-final against Russia, even though we were considered to be the underdogs (2010). A lot of that has to do with the fact that CZE - RUS match-ups always tend to have a political/historical rivalry-component to them, what makes them even more entertaining to watch.

I hope I won't come back to this post all wrong :)
Canada had their scare. Mantha will be back and Stone is on fire. The fans you speak of won’t have much to cheer for so they won’t be a factor. As far as your matchup with Russia it’s irrelevant, you won’t get that chance. Book it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada had their scare. Mantha will be back and Stone is on fire. The fans you speak of won’t have much to cheer for so they won’t be a factor. As far as your matchup with Russia it’s irrelevant, you won’t get that chance. Book it.
Bold talk, I hope we can back that up mess.

Reactions: Messrules11

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
The USA at the u20 and u18 have canadas number.

But I feel that the Czechs have canadas number at the senior level. This will be good

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Canada will be getting Mantha back, nice and rested for one game. He’s a top 2 forward in the team. Should be a good game, Czechs are a good team but Canada’s team is just better at all positions.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada will be getting Mantha back, nice and rested for one game. He’s a top 2 forward in the team. Should be a good game, Czechs are a good team but Canada’s team is just better at all positions.
Yup... better goalies, better centres and (probably) better wingers. Definitely better D. Canada has all the advantages and the Canada/Russia final is 60 percent there!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The USA at the u20 and u18 have canadas number.

But I feel that the Czechs have canadas number at the senior level. This will be good
Last ten meetings at this thing Canada has won eight so they have not had our number, quite the opposite in fact.

Don't now if that is a good thing for next game though, law of averages right?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Should be a great game. The Czech are here for a reason. They are a solid team. No reason to underestimate them to me.

Reactions: NyQuil

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006

Doesn’t necessarily mean all that much. Canada is also better than Switzerland and Slovakia, yet needed last second luck / heroics against both teams. Canada is the favorite here, but the result is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Tyttojenvessa

May 23, 2019
Hmm, a very interesting match indeed.. Sorry to say for the canadians, this will be a all-european final

4-5 tsheck after overtime

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
will be a close game... I hope we Czechs can make it.. to bad I can´t watch this one, because I have a gig in the same time

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Mostly hope the crowd gets going from the first minute and that the Czech players can bury their chances this time. The game with Germany we dominated early but couldn't get anything out of it. The crowd also took the whole first period to wake up.

I imagine Canada will come out flying looking for an early goal. I haven't seen them play yet though this tournament so I'm not in tune with their strengths and weaknesses.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
We should be able to win this one. Canada has been pretty bad so far, got very lucky in a couple of games and that's why they're here.

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018
Czechia forever! :D no way Canada can keep that luck for entire tournament...they didnt convicted me neither in 6:5 win against Slovakia or that 3:2 win against Swiss...

4:2 Scania

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Mostly hope the crowd gets going from the first minute and that the Czech players can bury their chances this time. The game with Germany we dominated early but couldn't get anything out of it. The crowd also took the whole first period to wake up.

I imagine Canada will come out flying looking for an early goal. I haven't seen them play yet though this tournament so I'm not in tune with their strengths and weaknesses.

My take on Cda - young (avg age 24 TSN), coming together as a team. Well coached by Vigneault. (Voracek's future coach! :)

Missing big stars but scoring led by 2 (literally big) wings Stone & Mantha. Late arrival Pierre-Luc Dubois #1 centre. & mobile puck moving D contributing on offense as well.

Weakness - (as usual at World's) - taking penalties?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Lol... Thank you for telling me what I meant even after I explained it.
Did you watch the game or look @ any statistics?

"Outplayed" in Euro hockey fans eyes: Holding on to precarious 1 goal leads, only scoring on PP, getting extreme out-shot (like 20-6) in 3rd periods, your home fans are loud and cheering, and the homer commentator is pumping your tires. :laugh:

For the semi's I really hope the home fans show more class than the Slovaks and regardless may the best team win. With the fans behind and momentum Czech has a chance indeed!

Reactions: Dominance

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Did you watch the game or look @ any statistics?

"Outplayed" in Euro hockey fans eyes: Holding on to precarious 1 goal leads, only scoring on PP, getting extreme out-shot (like 20-6) in 3rd periods, your home fans are loud and cheering, and the homer commentator is pumping your tires. :laugh:

For the semi's I really hope the home fans show more class than the Slovaks and regardless may the best team win. With the fans behind and momentum Czech has a chance indeed!

Wow, someone's grumpy this morning! What are you even talking about?

Reactions: Czechboy

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
Unless Czech team plays like 15 minutes of its game like yesterday, they might deliver. I actually like their chances against this year's Canada more than against this year's Russia of Suomi. Will be tought match, hope Vrana-Faksa-Palat line is going to happen, Jaskin-TZohorna-Řepík and Chytil asi 13th forward. Also hope that Rutta will finally play his game as he is not quite in his prime this tournament. Key aspect is to avoid nervousness, which is easily said than done. Otherwise, I want THAT medal!

ČEŠI DO TOHO!

Reactions: Czechboy

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Doesn’t necessarily mean all that much. Canada is also better than Switzerland and Slovakia, yet needed last second luck / heroics against both teams. Canada is the favorite here, but the result is by no means a foregone conclusion.

That’s fair. One game elimination, anything can happen. May the best team win.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00