GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
will be a close game... I hope we Czechs can make it.. to bad I can´t watch this one, because I have a gig in the same time
Very close, maybe OT, or even worse, that stupid shoot out! Hockey is a team game, not individual and deciding medal games or Olympic titles with it is garbage. Glad the NHL scraps it , during playoffs.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Doesn’t necessarily mean all that much. Canada is also better than Switzerland and Slovakia, yet needed last second luck / heroics against both teams. Canada is the favorite here, but the result is by no means a foregone conclusion.

They still beat both teams, however you want to dress it up.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Did you watch the game or look @ any statistics?

"Outplayed" in Euro hockey fans eyes: Holding on to precarious 1 goal leads, only scoring on PP, getting extreme out-shot (like 20-6) in 3rd periods, your home fans are loud and cheering, and the homer commentator is pumping your tires. :laugh:

For the semi's I really hope the home fans show more class than the Slovaks and regardless may the best team win. With the fans behind and momentum Czech has a chance indeed!

I think you misunderstood something, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, look at his other posts. And even if it was meant that way, you shouldn't generalize ("Euro hockey fans") the game evaluation of 1 member on here. Lastly, I do not like your slightly arrogant "Euro hockey fans eyes remark", as if most of us lacked basic hockey understanding.

Reactions: Czechboy

HeartAttack

Feb 16, 2018
For the semi's I really hope the home fans show more class than the Slovaks and regardless may the best team win. With the fans behind and momentum Czech has a chance indeed!

you have no buisness to tell someone wheter he watched game when you didnt even realize that tournament is playing in Slovakia and Slovaks are home fans :laugh::laugh::laugh:

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
We should be able to win this one. Canada has been pretty bad so far, got very lucky in a couple of games and that's why they're here.

lucky? good teams find a way to win and Canada carried the play in every game with exception of the first against Finland. Canada notoriously starts off slow and gets better as the tournament goes on. Still will be a good close game but Canada should win.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We should be able to win this one. Canada has been pretty bad so far, got very lucky in a couple of games and that's why they're here.
They were bad their first few games and gotten steadily better as the tournament has gone on(no surprise there and fans of this tournament should know this is normal) they are rolling pretty good right now and have proven to be one of the best teams here, so they have not been bad.

And it is best to meet the talk of "luck" that seems to be taking hold a little bit here right now and cut it off at the pass lest some silly myth get started among the fans here. There has been no luck, they took it to both those teams each time and imposed their will on them and scored.................that ain't luck, it's called determination and good hockey, 2 things the Czechs will need tomorrow in order to win.

Regards, Looking forward to a great game.

Reactions: Dominance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
let me put it this way the Canadians were .4 sec away from not contending for a gold medal, the Swiss were .4 sec away from getting beat in the semi's.
You know the Swiss were in the finals last year, right?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

"Outplayed" in Euro hockey fans eyes: Holding on to precarious 1 goal leads, only scoring on PP, getting extreme out-shot (like 20-6) in 3rd periods, your home fans are loud and cheering, and the homer commentator is pumping your tires. :laugh:

I definitely watch the games and am aware of the stats.

I find your post interesting cause you come across very disrespectful while talking about 'class'.

I'd say Canada is a massive favorite in this one. Czechs need a lot of things to go right to win.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think you misunderstood something, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, look at his other posts. And even if it was meant that way, you shouldn't generalize ("Euro hockey fans") the game evaluation of 1 member on here. Lastly, I do not like your slightly arrogant "Euro hockey fans eyes remark", as if most of us lacked basic hockey understanding.
I'm still laughing at having someone question if I've watched the games or know about stats

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Going to be a close game but I think Canada comes out on top. Mark Stone with the winner, empty net. 4-2.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Going to be a close game but I think Canada comes out on top. Mark Stone with the winner, empty net. 4-2.
Picking Stone to win it would be a great choice. He is a superstar but people don't seem to realize it. Very underrated imo

Reactions: illone84

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Stone would be the only player that is on this team that would be picked for Canada's National team.

That's the thing, he should definitely be on ANY team's Top 6. But would he crack Canada's roster?

I think Chabot and Nurse might also crack 7D.

It really is crazy to consider what a best on best Team Canada would have. I think Crosby would end up as 2C.lol Only nation that could match their D would be Sweden. Only nation that could match their top 6 would be Russia.

No standout goalie though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Game could definitely go either way. Would also be cool to see Czech play in the final. Could see a repeat of 2010.
That 2010 run is the thing of folk stories. At the time, Vokoun was a highly underated goalie and he came over and played amazing. We had a 'washed up' KHL Jagr who then returned to the NHL and continued to produce very solid hockey and wasn't even close to being done. Everyone else filled in. That team only had 4 NHL players and 2 of them were goalies (Pavelec was our backup). A young Voracek who barely played and Michal Rosival on D. Karel Rachunek was clearly one of the best D's in Europe and, I imagine, on his way back to the NHL. Jakub Klepis just kept scoring on Jagr's line. Lukas Kaspar in every shootout. Never have I seen the 'stars allign' so well in my life.

More amazing fact is that they were almost the worst Czech team in history. They were so close to being the first ever team to not qualify for the quarterfinals. Then a run for the ages. They won gold but I don't think their record was much higher than .500 for the entire tourney.

The following year (also in Bratislava) they sent a beautiful all star team (it was a big 7 then, it's now a big 5) and went undefeated. They only lost one game and got a bronze with a .900 record.

The other sidenote from 2010... Plekanec is our Ryan Smyth. He always showed up and played hard. The only year he didn't show was 2010 and we win the gold. Poor guy. He deserves a gold medal more than any other Czech.

Reactions: illone84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad