GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No, Tomas Zohorna was our player of the game which says more about our loss than our win.lol

The Czech-Germany game they also gave the German player award to the guy who scored their lone goal. It seems kind of a lazy way of deciding it, but it was a nice goal, no question

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czech-Germany game they also gave the German player award to the guy who scored their lone goal. It seems kind of a lazy way of deciding it, but it was a nice goal, no question
He did have a really good sequence before that with a similar breakaway and then got his rebound and tried again. I don't think anyone played bad... I just think Canada out 'Canada'd' us. Our coaches don't know how to handle North American teams at any level. 5-1 is a very typical score unfortunately. I honestly don't think it was lack of effort.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Congrats Canada and especially Murray. I said my brain said 4-1... it was 5-1. Murray outplayed both our goalies. Your Centres were better than ours. Your D was much better than our D.

I'd say I'm mad but I'm not. A bronze would be amazing for us! Russia is the favourite of course but the medal probably means more to us than it does to them.

I'll be back tomorrow but drinking Plsner Urquell instead.. clearly the 'TSN turning point' was my switching Czech beers!

I better see a Vrana/Chytil and Gulas in the stands. No idea if I'd go Bartosak or Francouz.

Good luck to you guys vs Russia!

Hope you win a medal as your 2nd consolation prize.

Your very good beer is always the 1st imho!

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
this Canadian team is a troll job. it's our C or D team + mark stone and an avg age of 24. for all the times we've sent strong teams and choked, there's a team like this
We can get away with it since there is so much talent to go around in Canada. It will be our D team against Finland's D team for the World Championship. Funny.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
He did have a really good sequence before that with a similar breakaway and then got his rebound and tried again. I don't think anyone played bad... I just think Canada out 'Canada'd' us. Our coaches don't know how to handle North American teams at any level. 5-1 is a very typical score unfortunately. I honestly don't think it was lack of effort.
even though Canada scored first I thought the Czechs had the better 1st period... Canada took a few dumb penalties to start the game but Murray and the penalty kill squad did an amazing job... the 5-1 score is not a good indication of how this game turned out

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

There was definitely a point where they started to flub pucks and passes that ruined the impression for a lot of people I think. But I agree, the effort was there, they suffered from the same thing this team has long suffered from, which is the inability to convert on great chances, perhaps a lack of creative chances - kudos to Canada's defence, it was always ready for what they were trying.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
Agreed. The Czechs would have looked a lot better if they’d refrained from that sort of thing. Frustration I guess ... taking a beating like that can’t be easy. :dunno:
Lets not pretend Canada wouldn't do the same or worse.
They were so agressive when loosing againts Slovakia earlier on and that was the game which didn't matter nearly as much.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Nice to see Jags out at the game.
lAJDvpk.png

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
this roster looked like it was going nowhere on May 1st and here we are into the finals. also guarantees Canada is ranked #1 for the 5th consecutive year.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Seems like 2016 all over again, lose to Finland and then beat them in the final. I obviously hope it’s the same result, Canada doesn’t tend to lose to the same team twice.

Given the expectations for the team a gold would be amazing.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Seems like 2016 all over again, lose to Finland and then beat them in the final. I obviously hope it’s the same result, Canada doesn’t tend to lose to the same team twice.

Given the expectations for the team a gold would be amazing.
We can hope, but this team Finland has been upsetting all the juggernauts so nothing is a given in this one. I do however think this is a much better team Canada than the one they faced earlier though, we'll see if it's enough to get the job done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad