GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Either way, Canada put themselves in a position to be "Lucky", they controlled the final 10 minutes of that game.
No question about that. Really, if anything we were unlucky in that game, we had so many chances and at least one or two of them go in normally but we just couldn't buy one until that moment.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
The thing is, I don't recall anyone calling it luck when the Finns won this past WJC, certainly not in what has been several threads now when it comes to that Canadian goal.

Everyone just heaped the praise on, way to go!! good job young lions!!

I don't see why it should be any different for us, do you?

Because Canada always starts as a favourite, while Finland and Switzerland always start off as underdogs. If I kick my nephew's ass at something, do you think people will praise me the same as they would praise him if he beat me?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Because Canada always starts as a favourite, while Finland and Switzerland always start off as underdogs. If I kick my nephew's ass at something, do you think people will praise me the same as they would praise him if he beat me?
That should mean nothing in the spirit of sportsmanship, and Finland certainly does not always start as underdogs and the Swiss are trending out of that direction also, where have you been? Hell, they turfed us out of the tournament last year.

No one is saying you have to sing our praises, it's just a simple good game congrats, that isn't bowing down or anything.

The bottom line is that none of that should keep you from saying good game and moving on, disliking a team(and i dislike many believe me!!) does not keep you from being able to tip your hat in defeat and move on (you can even say we will get you next time) only an unwillingness to be able to take a loss with grace and humility does that and that is a choice, and a rather childish one may I add.

We lost to the swiss last year and I had no problem in doing so, it seems the mature thing to do don't you think?

After all , this is not a war, we are not shooting bullets at each other defending our families and land are we?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
That's the thing, he should definitely be on ANY team's Top 6. But would he crack Canada's roster?

I think Chabot and Nurse might also crack 7D.

It really is crazy to consider what a best on best Team Canada would have. I think Crosby would end up as 2C.lol Only nation that could match their D would be Sweden. Only nation that could match their top 6 would be Russia.

No standout goalie though.
Chabot and Nurse would not crack a Team Canada "best team".
Sweden not!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I love how Canadians are so confident as much as they were before the match with Swiss where they were just 0,4 s from losing. Czech Republic beat both Switzerland and Sweden so they are obviously to beat Canada as well.

What the f*** is this garbage

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
That should mean nothing in the spirit of sportsmanship, and Finland certainly does not always start as underdogs and the Swiss are trending out of that direction also, where have you been? Hell, they turfed us out of the tournament last year.

No one is saying you have to sing our praises, it's just a simple good game congrats, that isn't bowing down or anything.

The bottom line is that none of that should keep you from saying good game and moving on, disliking a team(and i dislike many believe me!!) does not keep you from being able to tip your hat in defeat and move on (you can even say we will get you next time) only an unwillingness to be able to take a loss with grace and humility does that and that is a choice, and a rather childish one may I add.

We lost to the swiss last year and I had no problem in doing so, it seems the mature thing to do don't you think?

After all , this is not a war, we are not shooting bullets at each other defending our families and land are we?

I'm not sure if this is clear or not but I am Canadian. So yes, one shouldn't be a sore loser. But there is such a thing as being a sore winner, and all the posters who deny that Canada needed a little luck at the end because they were literally less than a second away from elimination and that in that specific instance luck was a larger factor in the play than determination or skill, are being sore winners. Accept that the other team played you hard enough that a bad bounce was all that stood between them and victory in the last SECOND of play. Then Canada unsurprisingly won it in overtime as they had been the better team all game. Still, that's hockey: the better team doesn't always win. Even the good teams need a little luck. So let's agree to play nice, congratulate the other team on a hard fought game, accept that we got a little lucky, and move on instead of accusing other posters of lacking class.

And yes, Switzerland and Finland always start as underdogs. That is becoming less true, but let's not pretend like the Swiss, in particular, are anywhere close to being on the same level as Canada, Russia, Sweden and the US. Finland has made a strong case recently to be included in that group, but expectations for Canada are always gold. Expectations for Finland are a medal of any kind, while a medal for Switzerland would exceed expectations.

Reactions: La Bonita

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
First Canada is a disgrace because so many players turned it down, now when they win games its luck. Its been a hilarious pattern in this thread.
When you keep losing to Canada’s ‘C’ team, excuse must be made.

Reactions: Dominance
  • 1993 - IIHF IHWC bronze medal game: Czech Republic 5–1 Canada
  • 1994 - Olympics quarterfinal: Canada 3–2 OT Czech Republic
  • 1994 - IIHF IHWC quarterfinal: Canada 3–2 Czech Republic
  • 1995 - IIHF IHWC bronze medal game: Canada 4–1 Czech Republic
  • 1996 - IIHF IHWC final: Czech Republic 4–2 Canada
  • 1997 - IIHF IHWC second round: Canada 3–5 Czech Republic
  • 1998 - Olympics semifinal: Canada 1–2 GWS Czech Republic
  • 1999 - IIHF IHWC semifinal game 1: Czech Republic 1–2 Canada
  • 1999 - IIHF IHWC semifinal game 2: Canada 4–6 Czech Republic (OT and GWS to decide semifinal series, won by Czechs*)
  • 2000 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 2–1 Canada
  • 2000 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 1–2 Czech Republic
  • 2001 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 2–4 Czech Republic
  • 2002 - Olympics preliminary round: Czech Republic 3–3 Canada
  • 2002 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 1–5 Czech Republic
  • 2003 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 8–4 Czech Republic
  • 2004 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Czech Republic 6–2 Canada
  • 2004 - World Cup of Hockey semifinal: Czech Republic 3–4 OT Canada
  • 2005 - IIHF IHWC final: Czech Republic 3–0 Canada
  • 2006 - Olympics preliminary round: Canada 3–2 Czech Republic
  • 2006 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 4–6 Czech Republic
  • 2007 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Czech Republic 3–4 OT Canada
  • 2009 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 5–1 Czech Republic
  • 2010 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 2–3 Czech Republic
  • 2013 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Canada 2–1 Czech Republic
  • 2014 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 3–4 Canada
  • 2015 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Canada 6–3 Czech Republic
  • 2015 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 2–0 Czech Republic
  • 2017 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 1–4 Canada
  • 2018 - Olympics preliminary round: Canada 2–3 GWS Czech Republic
  • 2018 - Olympics bronze medal game: Czech Republic 4–6 Canada
*) Not sure how to count this one. While the actual game was won 4–6 in regulation, a deciding OT and GWS was played after end of regulation. Either the entire game should be counted as a OT/GWS win, or the OT/GWS should be counted separately. I have left it out.

Win - OT/GWS Win - OT/GWS Loss - Loss - Tie (until 2006)

Head-to-head results since 1993:
  • Canada: 12-3-2-12-1
  • Czech Republic: 12-2-3-12-1

Head-to-head results since 2010:
  • Czech Republic: 1-1-0-6
  • Canada: 6-0-1-1
Feel free to point out any mistakes. :P

Historically we have been quite even. However, in the past nine years we've only won twice (and one of those victories came in the non-NHL Olympics, after GWS).

Logic tells me that Canada will win it, but my heart hopes for a Czech win today. I wouldn't be suprised if the Canadians frustrates the Czechs throughout the game or if the game ends up being a nailbiter, with the victor winning the game - as we say in northern Norway - "på fittehåra".

Small correction: forgot the 2004 World Cup of Hockey semifinal.

Last edited:

LateSleeper

Apr 12, 2019
  • 1993 - IIHF IHWC bronze medal game: Czech Republic 5–1 Canada
  • 1994 - Olympics quarterfinal: Canada 3–2 OT Czech Republic
  • 1994 - IIHF IHWC quarterfinal: Canada 3–2 Czech Republic
  • 1995 - IIHF IHWC bronze medal game: Canada 4–1 Czech Republic
  • 1996 - IIHF IHWC final: Czech Republic 4–2 Canada
  • 1997 - IIHF IHWC second round: Canada 3–5 Czech Republic
  • 1998 - Olympics semifinal: Canada 1–2 GWS Czech Republic
  • 1999 - IIHF IHWC semifinal game 1: Czech Republic 1–2 Canada
  • 1999 - IIHF IHWC semifinal game 2: Canada 4–6 Czech Republic (OT and GWS to decide semifinal series, won by Czechs*)
  • 2000 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 2–1 Canada
  • 2000 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 1–2 Czech Republic
  • 2001 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 2–4 Czech Republic
  • 2002 - Olympics preliminary round: Czech Republic 3–3 Canada
  • 2002 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 1–5 Czech Republic
  • 2003 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 8–4 Czech Republic
  • 2004 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Czech Republic 6–2 Canada
  • 2005 - IIHF IHWC final: Czech Republic 3–0 Canada
  • 2006 - Olympics preliminary round: Canada 3–2 Czech Republic
  • 2006 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 4–6 Czech Republic
  • 2007 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Czech Republic 3–4 OT Canada
  • 2009 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 5–1 Czech Republic
  • 2010 - IIHF IHWC qualifying round: Canada 2–3 Czech Republic
  • 2013 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Canada 2–1 Czech Republic
  • 2014 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 3–4 Canada
  • 2015 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Canada 6–3 Czech Republic
  • 2015 - IIHF IHWC semifinal: Canada 2–0 Czech Republic
  • 2017 - IIHF IHWC preliminary round: Czech Republic 1–4 Canada
  • 2018 - Olympics preliminary round: Canada 2–3 GWS Czech Republic
  • 2018 - Olympics bronze medal game: Czech Republic 4–6 Canada
*) Not sure how to count this one. While the actual game was won 4–6 in regulation, a deciding OT and GWS was played after end of regulation. Either the entire game should be counted as a OT/GWS win, or the OT/GWS should be counted separately. I have left it out.

Win - OT/GWS Win - OT/GWS Loss - Loss - Tie (until 2006)

Head-to-head results since 1993:
  • Canada: 12-2-2-12-1
  • Czech Republic: 12-2-2-12-1

Head-to-head results since 2010:
  • Czech Republic: 1-1-0-6
  • Canada: 6-0-1-1
Feel free to point out any mistakes. :P

Historically we have been quite even. However, in the past nine years we've only won twice (and one of those victories came in the non-NHL Olympics, after GWS).

Logic tells me that Canada will win it, but my heart hopes for a Czech win today. I wouldn't be suprised if the Canadians frustrates the Czechs throughout the game or if the game ends up being a nailbiter, with the victor winning the game - as we say in northern Norway - "på fittehåra".

Basically Canada have been toying with Czechs ever since the Czech golden generation hung them up.

Reactions: Orange Dragon

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure if this is clear or not but I am Canadian. So yes, one shouldn't be a sore loser. But there is such a thing as being a sore winner, and all the posters who deny that Canada needed a little luck at the end because they were literally less than a second away from elimination and that in that specific instance luck was a larger factor in the play than determination or skill, are being sore winners. Accept that the other team played you hard enough that a bad bounce was all that stood between them and victory in the last SECOND of play. Then Canada unsurprisingly won it in overtime as they had been the better team all game. Still, that's hockey: the better team doesn't always win. Even the good teams need a little luck. So let's agree to play nice, congratulate the other team on a hard fought game, accept that we got a little lucky, and move on instead of accusing other posters of lacking class.

And yes, Switzerland and Finland always start as underdogs. That is becoming less true, but let's not pretend like the Swiss, in particular, are anywhere close to being on the same level as Canada, Russia, Sweden and the US. Finland has made a strong case recently to be included in that group, but expectations for Canada are always gold. Expectations for Finland are a medal of any kind, while a medal for Switzerland would exceed expectations.
There is so much wrong in your last 2 posts that I don't know where to begin so this will be the last I say to you.
First, they weren't a better team, they lost!!if they were better team they would be playing the Czechs today.......don't you get that?

Do you honestly think if the Swiss had won that game,even if they had been outplayed all game(which Canada was certainly not, not sure what game you were watching) that the Swiss would be considered anything but the worthy winners and be lauded with praises from fans all over here for "gutting it out on a great victory" ?

Do you really believe that? And no......................
for the last time, Finland is not always underdogs, you are like 2 decades in the past man, the Swiss are to some extent but times are changing fast for them too, they are just about with the big boys now, they are capable of beating any of the teams here at the senior level on any given day!! You are stuck in a mentality that is gone in the case of Finland and rapidly disappearing in the case of Switzerland.

Basically in a nutshell you posts are inaccurate and twisted and say that if you are of the big boys and in Canada's case the biggest boy of all then you are not worthy of any sportsmanship or respect at all, if you win it's expected and and fans do not have to say good game with respect or anything along those lines.

That is downright silly, I don't care if you are Canadian or not, that is just silly.

You go on about class here but you argue for the absence or non expectation of it when it comes to certain teams, your attitude concerning sportsmanship and respect are a little warped. I don't know what else to say to you but I understand your mindset now and am just going to leave you to carry on.

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I definitely watch the games and am aware of the stats.

I find your post interesting cause you come across very disrespectful while talking about 'class'.

I'd say Canada is a massive favorite in this one. Czechs need a lot of things to go right to win.

Cool man. U watching live or what?

Hey bud it's the same thread where you're making jokes and trolling then get all serious about "disrespectful". Me and a few thousand of my buds didn't throw bottles and coins at your national team nor scream, whistle, and boo your anthem during a sanctioned international sporting event. I'm pretty sure the facility won't let it happen again and besides the home fans will show more class I'm sure.

Hoping for a good one today boyos.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Cool man. U watching live or what?

Hey bud it's the same thread where you're making jokes and trolling then get all serious about "disrespectful". Me and a few thousand of my buds didn't throw bottles and coins at your national team nor scream, whistle, and boo your anthem during a sanctioned international sporting event. I'm pretty sure the facility won't let it happen again and besides the home fans will show more class I'm sure.

Hoping for a good one today boyos.

You do realize Slovakia and Czech Republic are two different countries?!

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
You do realize Slovakia and Czech Republic are two different countries?!
Yes, been to both. Going to Bratislava on Tuesday actually.

I'm not going to go back and explain all my posts. It's a home game for the Czechs and some of the Slovak fans (may I call them cousins of the Czechs?) acted shamefully in the arena. Prove me wrong.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Me and a few thousand of my buds didn't throw bottles and coins at your national team nor scream, whistle, and boo your anthem during a sanctioned international sporting event

You know you're playing the Czech Republic and not Slovakia, right? You do know the difference, right?

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Yes, been to both. Going to Bratislava on Tuesday actually.

I'm not going to go back and explain all my posts. It's a home game for the Czechs and some of the Slovak fans (may I call them cousins of the Czechs?) acted shamefully in the arena. Prove me wrong.

When Slovakia was playing Canada on the 13th of May at Steel Arena, the Czechs were playing Russia at Ondrej Nepala Arena. I assume the majority, if not all of Czech fans went to see the the Czech game.

The booing from the Slovaks certainly was unsportsmanlike, there is no discussion about that. However I don't understand what Czech hockey fans have to do with this. Czech fans have a great reputation all over the world.

Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad