GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Canada vs Czech Republic

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, been to both. Going to Bratislava on Tuesday actually.

I'm not going to go back and explain all my posts. It's a home game for the Czechs and some of the Slovak fans (may I call them cousins of the Czechs?) acted shamefully in the arena. Prove me wrong.

No argument that a few Slovaks acted disrespectfully. I'd say 99% of Slovaks were very disapointed in the behavior of a few assholes. Kind of like Londoners were extremely upset that a fan through a banana at Wayne Simmonds in a preseason game a few years ago.

Having said that, you're talking with Czech people from a different country.

We're no more Slovak than you are American. There is a border, different currency and everything.

Orange Dragon

Feb 5, 2016
I'm not going to go back and explain all my posts. It's a home game for the Czechs and some of the Slovak fans (may I call them cousins of the Czechs?) acted shamefully in the arena. Prove me wrong.
Man, this sounds kinda racist to me.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
No argument that a few Slovaks acted disrespectfully. I'd say 99% of Slovaks were very disapointed in the behavior of a few *******s. Kind of like Londoners were extremely upset that a fan through a banana at Wayne Simmonds in a preseason game a few years ago.

Having said that, you're talking with Czech people from a different country.

We're no more Slovak than you are American. There is a border, different currency and everything.
Well I am American in fact. North American. And yeah my family history winds it's way thru the USA... isn't that pretty typical of neighbors, cousins, tightly co-operating nations? I'm not really insulted when a European calls me American. No offense, but it's kind of funny when your jim jams get so rustled about it. It was the same nation within my lifetime. Canada is arguably some vassal state of the US anyways. Please don't forget as a Canadian you speak with a postnationalist human. It means when WWIII drops maybe I'll call myself American (or maybe German (EU Burger), let's see). :sarcasm:

I never suggested Czech fans did anything bad so far. Go back and read the posts. I am only wishing for a good match on the ice and no BS from the fans.

Again, hopefully none of that today... from the citizens of Czech Republic, who speak a totally different language, and have different coins, drink different beer, and a completely and totally distinct culture, and of course a much much different flag and history. :thumbu:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Historically we have been quite even

Historically yes. Your 2010 and on stats are roughly when we started getting killed at World Juniors. I think we've had one semi final appearance since 2005? U18's we get killed mostly too. During that same time Canada was winning all the best on bests and started sending some seriously strong teams to World's as well. It's been all Canada for a long time now.

I obviously want the Czechs to win and will cheer to the end but we're talking:

A stanley cup champion goalie in the NHL vs an Extraliga goalie (who was CHL goalie of the year once)
If we want to say that Gudas and Hronek are near this Canada's D level, our next 4 D aren't that close.
Canada's C depth is much stronger - our C's are Simon, Faksa, Kovar, Zohorna and Chytil.
I'd say the wings are close to even.

Canada is a massive favourite in this.

For the Czechs to win it has to be one of those 'any given Sunday' or 'thats why you play the game' type scenario. Similar to what the Finn's did to the Swedes and are currently doing to Russia. Sometimes the stacked team loses. I would've said States had 2nd best team on paper and they are gone. I thought Sweden was looking like a threepeat favourite as well.. also gone.

So we'll see but Canada has every advantage from players on the ice to history on their side.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well I am American in fact. North American. And yeah my family history winds it's way thru the USA... isn't that pretty typical of neighbors, cousins, tightly co-operating nations? I'm not really insulted when a European calls me American. No offense, but it's kind of funny when your jim jams get so rustled about it. It was the same nation within my lifetime. Canada is arguably some vassal state of the US anyways. Please don't forget as a Canadian you speak with a postnationalist human. It means when WWIII drops maybe I'll call myself American (or maybe German (EU Burger), let's see). :sarcasm:

I never suggested Czech fans did anything bad so far. Go back and read the posts. I am only wishing for a good match on the ice and no BS from the fans.

Again, hopefully none of that today... from the citizens of Czech Republic, who speak a totally different language, and have different coins, drink different beer, and a completely and totally distinct culture, and of course a much much different flag and history. :thumbu:
Don't forget the smokin hot chicks.

Reactions: Messrules11

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Lots of crap flying the last two pages. I get being passionate about your team and slogging your opponent but let’s keep it on the ice. Sheesh. Go Canada!

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016

People with a sharp tongue would call that uneducated.

None of what today? For something that never occurred in first place.

The last two pages are awful to re-read.

In any case, I hope we will see an entertaining hockey game tonight from both sides. Looking forward to it.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Man, that Canada-Russia game for Bronze tomorrow is going to be amazing.lol

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
There is so much wrong in your last 2 posts that I don't know where to begin so this will be the last I say to you.
First, they weren't a better team, they lost!!if they were better team they would be playing the Czechs today.......don't you get that?

Well Canada will be playing the Czechs, so I don't know what you're getting at? Canada was the better team and they won... am I missing something? Your paragraph makes no sense.

Do you honestly think if the Swiss had won that game,even if they had been outplayed all game(which Canada was certainly not, not sure what game you were watching) that the Swiss would be considered anything but the worthy winners and be lauded with praises from fans all over here for "gutting it out on a great victory" ?

Yes, underdogs get praise that top dogs don't get. I thought you'd understood this when I explained about my nephews getting more praise than me... And since you completely misinterpreted my words, even though I spelled it out more than once, I believe, let me say it again. CANADA WAS THE BETTER TEAM ALL GAME, but it doesn't mean they didn't need a little luck at the end of the 3rd to pull through. Why does that statement threaten you so much? Oh right, because you feel persecuted, as a fan of Canada, by the supposed lack of class of other fans who like to state facts instead of lavishing praise on Team Canada.

Do you really believe that? And no......................
for the last time, Finland is not always underdogs, you are like 2 decades in the past man, the Swiss are to some extent but times are changing fast for them too, they are just about with the big boys now, they are capable of beating any of the teams here at the senior level on any given day!! You are stuck in a mentality that is gone in the case of Finland and rapidly disappearing in the case of Switzerland.

So you agree then that Switzerland is not on the same level as Canada yet. My point exactly.

Basically in a nutshell you posts are inaccurate and twisted and say that if you are of the big boys and in Canada's case the biggest boy of all then you are not worthy of any sportsmanship or respect at all, if you win it's expected and and fans do not have to say good game with respect or anything along those lines.

That is downright silly, I don't care if you are Canadian or not, that is just silly.

My posts seem twisted to you because you aren't reading them properly, as your first two paragraphs make perfectly clear.

go on about class here but you argue for the absence or non expectation of it when it comes to certain teams, your attitude concerning sportsmanship and respect are a little warped. I don't know what else to say to you but I understand your mindset now and am just going to leave you to carry on.

How is it a lack of class to state facts? How is that a lack of sportsmanship? Seems to me that the lack of sportsmanship comes from you and your ilk who, unsatisfied with simply winning, must receive unqualified praise from other fans for beating a team that everyone agreed was worse on paper or else they whine and whine about it. The only bitter fans in this thread are you and the others who insist on proving that Canada was not in any way lucky to score a goal with 0.4 seconds left on a seeing eye shot where the puck came right back to the defenceman after his first attempt was blocked. Canada needed a little luck to win this one game. So what? Accept it, congratulate the Swiss on a hard fought game, and move on. Stop whining.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well Canada will be playing the Czechs, so I don't know what you're getting at? Canada was the better team and they won... am I missing something? Your paragraph makes no sense.

Yes, underdogs get praise that top dogs don't get. I thought you'd understood this when I explained about my nephews getting more praise than me... And since you completely misinterpreted my words, even though I spelled it out more than once, I believe, let me say it again. CANADA WAS THE BETTER TEAM ALL GAME, but it doesn't mean they didn't need a little luck at the end of the 3rd to pull through. Why does that statement threaten you so much? Oh right, because you feel persecuted, as a fan of Canada, by the supposed lack of class of other fans who like to state facts instead of lavishing praise on Team Canada.

So you agree then that Switzerland is not on the same level as Canada yet. My point exactly.

My posts seem twisted to you because you aren't reading them properly, as your first two paragraphs make perfectly clear.

How is it a lack of class to state facts? How is that a lack of sportsmanship? Seems to me that the lack of sportsmanship comes from you and your ilk who, unsatisfied with simply winning, must receive unqualified praise from other fans for beating a team that everyone agreed was worse on paper or else they whine and whine about it. The only bitter fans in this thread are you and the others who insist on proving that Canada was not in any way lucky to score a goal with 0.4 seconds left on a seeing eye shot where the puck came right back to the defenceman after his first attempt was blocked. Canada needed a little luck to win this one game. So what? Accept it, congratulate the Swiss on a hard fought game, and move on. Stop whining.
I don't care anymore, I have seen your attitude and grasp of the realities of the international hockey situation right now. I've seen enough and don't need to engage with you anymore on this matter.

The game is over and done with, I am concerning myself with the semi final now.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I have seen your grasp of the realities

Says the guy who thinks "Canada was the better team" means the Swiss were better, who doesn't understand the concept of an underdog, and who thinks the mere mention of the word "luck" after a Team Canada win is a scandalous insult to sportsmanship.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, this match is essentially the finals now. Whoever wins will enjoy their free championship victory against the Finnish Liiga team in the finals.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Says the guy who thinks "Canada was the better team" means the Swiss were better, who doesn't understand the concept of an underdog, and who thinks the mere mention of the word "luck" after a Team Canada win is a scandalous insult to sportsmanship.

Can I concentrate on the game now? you finished?

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
When Slovakia was playing Canada on the 13th of May at Steel Arena, the Czechs were playing Russia at Ondrej Nepala Arena. I assume the majority, if not all of Czech fans went to see the the Czech game.

The booing from the Slovaks certainly was unsportsmanlike, there is no discussion about that. However I don't understand what Czech hockey fans have to do with this. Czech fans have a great reputation all over the world.

Well, as far as I can remember, there was also some booing at the Russian anthem after the CZE-RUS game. Seems odd you didn't mention that. Although I don't know why was @SaltNPeca mentioning Slovak fans in this case.

And to be clear, I am not trying to stir up some offensive discussion here, just an observation. As a matter of fact, I agree that what happened after the SVK-CAN game is a disgrace and to be honest, it pissed me off more than the actual result of the game.

Anyway, good luck, I hope Czechs win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad