Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena (Amazon)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Also, all water is recycled rain water lmao. That's literally how the hydrologic cycle works, 3rd grade science. What a way to virtue signal about nothing :laugh:

m0QTsvv.jpg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Still not as bad as Jobing.com Arena.

Or PPG Paints Arena
Or Bell MTS Place
Or Canadian Tire Centre (seriously just sounds like a place I'd go to get my tire patched)
Or Little Caesars Arena

Honestly, I was really hoping Bill Gates would have acquired the naming rights of the Seattle one and called it the Microsoft Office :sarcasm:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Or PPG Paints Arena
Or Bell MTS Place
Or Canadian Tire Centre (seriously just sounds like a place I'd go to get my tire patched)
Or Little Caesars Arena

Honestly, I was really hoping Bill Gates would have acquired the naming rights of the Seattle one and called it the Microsoft Office :sarcasm:

PPG Paints Arena is most commonly referred to as PPG. That isn't bad at all.
Bell MTS Place really doesn't sound worse than Climate Pledge Arena. It's about the same thing as Bell Centre which is one of the coolest names, not just for French language reasons.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Instantly had the same thought when I read the "rain water" thing. Collecting rain water from the roof doesn't mean there is more water.
Although I don't know the specifics, I assume this means they are using rain water collected on site instead of taking water from the municipal water system. That means less energy is expended purifying and pumping that water, since the water for ice doesn't need to be potable and it can likely be gravity fed for the most part. Also there are places in the world where clean drinking water isn't readily available. Thinking globally it probably is wasteful to use it to make ice - even if you can't easily take that saved water and send it to people who need it - more symbolic than actually beneficial.

OTOH it probably also saves them money in the long run. I know friends who have back yard pools complain about the water bill to fill the pool. I imagine making and melting remaking ice adds to the overall cost of the water bill for the building. Getting free rainwater that requires minimal processing and maybe a filter change periodically would likely pay for itself over time. Not much PR benefit in that though.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Well that would have been awkward if the Edmonton Oilers moved to Seattle a couple of years ago. The Seattle Oilers playing in the Climate Pledge Arena.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Or PPG Paints Arena
Or Bell MTS Place
Or Little Caesars Arena

What about the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. I fondly recall Jim Hughson blaring that name out in NHL 04

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
At least it forces the commentators to use the term "climate pledge" and reminding the viewers of the climate issue about 20 times each game night, as well as forcing all media to use the term every write up they do or every news bulletin they make. Quite smart actually.

And of course, Amazon gets to portray itself as a climate friendly company (which they are probably not) - win win.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Or PPG Paints Arena
Or Bell MTS Place
Or Little Caesars Arena

Major difference being those are all brands that if you remove the ''Arena'' or ''Centre'' you can easily recognize.

Climate Pledge, without the arena is just that, a climate pledge. It isn't a brand (that I know of).

Still, I guess Amazon will find fiscal loopholes to make this work for them.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Shocking that posters are somehow outraged by this

:sarcasm:

And for the wrong reasons. Instead of it being a massive corporation that's responsible for pollution and evading environmental laws deciding to advertise that they're not even doing the bare minimum (which is akin to McDonald's putting their logo on a series of gyms or Philip Morris sponsoring tobacco addiction programs) in the most lame-ass way possible, it's people going "ThEy'Re ViRtUe SiGnAlLiNg Us!!!1!" It's not like Amazon gives a shit about environmentalism anyway; that $2 billion they are investing is a drop in the hat to their overall value, and most of it is going to be tax breaks to earn them more money. "The Climate Pledge" is just corporate bullshit to make simple-minded folk feel like the omnipresent conglomerate that has taken over their lives has a heart... or like it's part of a liberal conspiracy to make mention of something that is a problem but we prefer ignoring because something something God.

Reactions: IlikeEich

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
I mean is anyone in Seattle actually going to call it that? I get the feeling it's going to be KeyArena or the Key regardless of Amazon's agenda.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm down with lowering carbon emissions, even if it means that there's another terribly named arena lol who cares.

I could see some PR rivalry developing between the oilers and the kraken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad