Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena (Amazon)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
At the least, the name will remind the public of the issue (still) of our generation. This isn’t a bad thing. You MFs woulda preferred IHOP arena of course.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yup.. I hate the term "virtue signalling" because it's meant to crap on anyone who speaks out for progressive ideas, without any consideration of the merit of those ideas. But when an organization is so clearly out of step with the PR they are pushing out, what do you call it? It's almost like we need a new term.

To be fair, a lot of "progressive" comments and ideas are made without obvious consideration of the merit of those comments and ideas and are obviously made to appear progressive/virtuous.

Viewing Amazon's actions here in anything other than one that is 100% in their corporate interest is naive IMO.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
What a joke, they are going to be shuving climate change down our throats after this covid nonsense is over,

it’s a brave new world my friends

Wut... how's this shoving anything anywhere?

Also... you know. Climate is actually everywhere, right? *looks suspiciously at post*

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
They just leaked the runners up:

1) Living Wage Arena
2) Save The Whales Arena
3) The Safe Space Arena
4) Capitalism Isn't Ruining The Country, So Shut Up & Amazon Prime The Shit Out of All Those Adult Toys & Cheap Products You'll Never Use Because You Work Too Much, Because You Need Money to Buy All Those Adult Toys & Cheap Products Because Capitalism Arena.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The idea that we look or give credit to to corporations to set/confirm society's moral direction is troubling unto itself.

That being said, I am now going to order one of those cool personal air conditioners from Amazon since they seem like they really care about the environment.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yup.. I hate the term "virtue signalling" because it's meant to crap on anyone who speaks out for progressive ideas, without any consideration of the merit of those ideas. But when an organization is so clearly out of step with the PR they are pushing out, what do you call it? It's almost like we need a new term.
I mean this is literally the definition of virtue signalling. Amazon is spending money on an arena name to tell everyone how environmentally conscious their company is.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why are you "mad" that not everyone drinks up obvious virtue signalling?

Actions speak louder than words, Amazon's actions can serve as a model for caring about the environment.
It is quite litterally an action- a name that will keep the issue on the forefront of folks minds.

if you are mad because you think Amazon could do more, then that would be fair. But getting outraged about this because of “signaling” is purely illogical.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It is quite litterally an action- a name that will keep the issue on the forefront of folks minds.

if you are mad because you think Amazon could do more, then that would be fair. But getting outraged about this because of “signaling” is purely illogical.

Wow, keeping things at the forefront, what a model they are setting. The planet is saved.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I mean this is literally the definition of virtue signalling. Amazon is spending money on an arena name to tell everyone how environmentally conscious their company is.
And I say, so what? Why are people so mad at that? Corporations been out here doing these PR stunts for years. Screw Amazon but I don’t get the need to be mad about this.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Ever consider that people want nothing to do with politics when it comes to sports. People have a right to not like the name cause it is stupid and could have gone with something way way better that isn't a Cooperate name....

Bezos has done nothing but made a huge PR statement like he actually cares about the environment... He has really done nothing.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ever consider that people want nothing to do with politics when it comes to sports. People have a right to not like the name cause it is stupid and could have gone with something way way better that isn't a Cooperate name....

Bezos has done nothing but made a huge PR statement like he actually cares about the environment... He has really done nothing.
Newsflash: climate change isn’t a political issue. Stop politicizing it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
And I say, so what? Why are people so mad at that? Corporations been out here doing these PR stunts for years. Screw Amazon but I don’t get the need to be mad about this.
Because these things work to change the public perception of companies in a positive way, regardless of the actual good or bad things the company does.

Yes, I get miffed when corporations with loads of money can just buy positive PR.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Any naming rights deal is going to promote something. Would we prefer "Two-Day Shipping Arena" or "Prime Arena" (actually, now that I mention it ...)

Anyway, given that the fossil-fuel industry for decades lied and intentionally sowed doubt about climate science so as not to hurt its profits, I have no problem whatsoever with big business shining a light on the matter — even if it is only a case of virtue signaling. At the least the virtue being highlighted is NOT greed.

Even if greed is baked into the Amazon DNA, at least the company has the decency to not gloat about its shortcomings ... unlike some newsmakers I can think of.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Because these things work to change the public perception of companies in a positive way, regardless of the actual good or bad things the company does.

Yes, I get miffed when corporations with loads of money can just buy positive PR.
Only idiots will actually buy what Amazon is trying to sell here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would be on board with the whole idea that this is ridiculous and virtue signaling if it wasn't basically the stated goal of the people involved with the actual arena. Amazon does not deserve the benefit of my doubt. It's the fact that this is going to be a pretty big experiment on the part of Oak View Group in terms sustainable major pro sports arenas makes it fine.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
There is only one Pledge get it shipped free with PRIME.

q6zs1gz.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->