Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena (Amazon)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Same way any arena naming deal does—brand promotion.

Amazon is choosing, for better or worse, a uniquely different angle for that brand promotion then companies have historically done.

And the climate pledge idea bezos started via amazon is nothing more than him just saying look i did something while really not doing anything.

Reactions: DaveG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
People see that Amazon paid for this and associate Amazon with being green/energy efficiency/net-zero carbon footprint, etc.

Which is the funny thing amazon has a extremely high carbon footprint and its up 15% from the previous year. If Bezos believes what he says, then he would be spending some of his billions on reducing his companies carbon footprint.

Its nothing more than Bezos trying to appease people while doing nothing at the same time.

Reactions: adsfan

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
What is the pledge part? What is being pledged? Building the arena and powering it has a massive carbon footprint, soooooooooooo what is the deal what happens after it is built.

Reactions: Morrison

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hmmm - I'm sure many of us will be calling it the Lemon Pledge Arena.

aabb11c465991c907fdf469241b3f036.jpg

It's the first thing I thought of, Pledge Arena like some cleaning product.

Vancouver could follow suit. How does Greenpeace Arena sound?

That wouldn't be following suit, that would be more the opposite.

One is a greenwashing name done by a corporation, the other is the name of a radical environmental protest group.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
as that would likely irritate the hell out of the SJW's in this town right now, they've decided as you see in the tweet to do something a lot more PC. Thoughts?

As a proud SJW and environmentalist activist let me tell you that corporations get no respect for using greenwashing tactics. It's so obviously fake, it's got no PC purchase for anyone with a political pulse. This is more like a Bezos vanity project that might persuade some low-info apolitical types on the margin to think that Amazon is a green company (it's not even close).

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Note here that this is aimed at the NBA fans in Seattle, but this is a point that is now being raised and I think it could also apply to the NHL/Seattle situation. With Bezos involved in the naming rights for the arena, this may provide an opening for him to join at some point down the road OakView in a minority ownership capacity, which could give him and Amazon easier access to the league's TV/streaming rights. Everyone does know that the NHL TV rights in the U.S. are up for bid in a couple of years, so this may be something to pay attention to moving forward once this pandemic subsides and we can get back to the business on ice.

Has there been any real interest from him in buying a team Jerry Jones says he wants Bezos to buy the Seahawks but nothing has come of it so far.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I like the attitude shown towards the environment with zero carbon, 100% reneweable energy and using reclaymed rainwater to create the ice surfice.

Though, the name itself is pretty stupid and basically asking for banter from anyone out there.

Also, it's nice they do this but Amazon(and Bezos) is a really double edged sword given how they treat and pay their workforce and with their carbon footpring raising every year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What is the pledge part? What is being pledged? Building the arena and powering it has a massive carbon footprint, soooooooooooo what is the deal what happens after it is built.

Supposed to use recycled rainwater for the ice, all renewable energy, reducing single-waste product use, 75% locally sourced food in arena, etc. Moves in the right direction.

Actually, all this stuff is being driven by Leiweke, not Amazon. Amazon just offered to purchase the naming rights without having their name appear on the building.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
The "Amazons carbon footprint increases 20 percent the last year arena" doesn't have the same ring to it. Pinnacle of the do as I say not as I do faux activism that infests every facet of our society.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
The "Amazons carbon footprint increases 20 percent the last year arena" doesn't have the same ring to it. Pinnacle of the do as I say not as I do faux activism that infests every facet of our society.

i really f*** with buying single cables and small trinkets from amazon though. causing so much environmental havoc for what i could buy locally is empowering.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It's cheesy as f***, no doubt. But I feel that way about most arenas (especially the old and storied ones) slapping some company's name on it.

In terms of a promise to lessen environmental impact maybe this will make more sense when Amazon transitions their massive delivery fleet to electric robo-trucks in the next ten years.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Electric zamboni. Rain water collected to make ice. Off site electricity generation via solar farm. No natural gas used in arena (chefs will have to work with electricity to cook on); guess that means all hot water generation by electricity too.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's cheesy as f***, no doubt. But I feel that way about most arenas (especially the old and storied ones) slapping some company's name on it.

In terms of a promise to lessen environmental impact maybe this will make more sense when Amazon transitions their massive delivery fleet to electric robo-trucks in the next ten years.

And driverless trucks will probably get regulated in 10 years so you always have a driver in it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
But Amazon isn't in the arena name. It feels like an expensive purchase for little benefit.

Without seeing the arena, I'm more than certain Amazon's name will be all over it.

Amazon itself doesn't need any more branding, obviously. People in Seattle (and everywhere, really) are souring on the company rapidly due to all the shitty things they're pulling.

Just look at this debate in this thread. This is what they paid for.

I'd rather them just pay their workers and pay to make their infrastructure green, but that's beyond the point of this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad