Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena (Amazon)

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Might need to merge this into a Seattle thread, but Chris Daniels has major breaking news concerning the new Seattle NHL arena:

Amazon as noted secures the naming rights but instead of naming it Amazon Arena, as that would likely irritate the hell out of the SJW's in this town right now, they've decided as you see in the tweet to do something a lot more PC. Thoughts?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
So how does this benefit Amazon from a business standpoint?

I mean looking at the arena name, I don't think of Amazon at all.

I guess they're going to have the right to plaster Amazon ads throughout the arena?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Hmmm - I'm sure many of us will be calling it the Lemon Pledge Arena.

aabb11c465991c907fdf469241b3f036.jpg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That's nice.

Maybe Amazon creates a whole corporate campaign around this slogan now.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Amazon is going to find out VERY fast that the hockey faithful of Seattle-and everyone else-is going to put DIFFERENT nicknames onto the arena, never mind how noble the cause is.(And THAT conversation should be saved for another board; I'm NOT going to get drawn into that mess. So don't even try.)

How about Overpriced Crap Arena, just for starters? What about Death Star Centre...how's that for a new name?

Reactions: Bestpicksince bure

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Amazon is opening themselves up to "fair wage arena" "Living wage arena" "Safe working arena"

for those who want to get educated on working in Amazon warehouses. Google it. Example I can give is that they time your bathroom breaks and if you take to many or take too long, they suggest you should stop drinking water while you work. Mods can delete this post if they like, but I think that them naming it this will open a giant list of problem with how they treat their employees

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Amazon is opening themselves up to "fair wage arena" "Living wage arena" "Safe working arena"

for those who want to get educated on working in Amazon warehouses. Google it. Example I can give is that they time your bathroom breaks and if you take to many or take too long, they suggest you should stop drinking water while you work. Mods can delete this post if they like, but I think that them naming it this will open a giant list of problem with how they treat their employees

Yeah, pretty much. Cheaper to make climate pledges you may or may not keep over actually paying your employees a fair wage.

Reactions: RibFrabcus

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Note here that this is aimed at the NBA fans in Seattle, but this is a point that is now being raised and I think it could also apply to the NHL/Seattle situation. With Bezos involved in the naming rights for the arena, this may provide an opening for him to join at some point down the road OakView in a minority ownership capacity, which could give him and Amazon easier access to the league's TV/streaming rights. Everyone does know that the NHL TV rights in the U.S. are up for bid in a couple of years, so this may be something to pay attention to moving forward once this pandemic subsides and we can get back to the business on ice.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

You could also argue that for the money spent on buying naming rights to an arena they could have used towards their workers. Would go a lot farther in getting some positive press for Amazon than this ridiculous gesture.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Its basically amazon's idea of supporting the whole "climate change must save the world idea"...
Then name it Planet Green Arena, I don't think anybody is against making the Earth greener, but there were so many interesting concepts within the green field which all you could come up with was that? Yikes Amazon.

Reactions: JoeCool16 and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->