Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena (Amazon)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well that would have been awkward if the Edmonton Oilers moved to Seattle a couple of years ago. The Seattle Oilers playing in the Climate Pledge Arena.

Everyone knew oilers owner wasn't serious about that at all and he had to backtrack on that iirc.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I mean is anyone in Seattle actually going to call it that? I get the feeling it's going to be KeyArena or the Key regardless of Amazon's agenda.

Probably not. Our Mall in Tukwilla is still called SouthCenter Mall after it was acquired and renamed to Westfield Mall.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How anyone can see this as anything but a good thing is beyond me.

People aren't objecting to the arena being a near net zero. Its the whole name of the arena that people are objecting to. They can push for a net zero arena and have a much better name of the building at the same time.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People aren't objecting to the arena being a near net zero. Its the whole name of the arena that people are objecting to. They can push for a net zero arena and have a much better name of the building at the same time.
So you’d prefer it just to be named after a corporation? Like “Amazon Arena”? Why?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If the company is simply buying "goodwill" while not practicing what they preach, why not point that out.

Yup.. I hate the term "virtue signalling" because it's meant to crap on anyone who speaks out for progressive ideas, without any consideration of the merit of those ideas. But when an organization is so clearly out of step with the PR they are pushing out, what do you call it? It's almost like we need a new term.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the company is simply buying "goodwill" while not practicing what they preach, why not point that out.

I did point that out that this is just Bezos being Bezos acting like he is doing something related to the environment when reality he has done nothing.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Buncha Karen’s and Kens just wanting to complain

This kind of comment is uncalled for. I am taking this to the moderator!

main-qimg-05bbed9d1727d40e2558790b6d9848ef

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yup.. I hate the term "virtue signalling" because it's meant to crap on anyone who speaks out for progressive ideas, without any consideration of the merit of those ideas. But when an organization is so clearly out of step with the PR they are pushing out, what do you call it? It's almost like we need a new term.

How about BS? Yeah, it's perfect for this situation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Explain how it is "carbon neutral" when it is constructed with tons of cement.

The term is net zero and its not 100% carbon free cause it needs electricity which 65% of washington's states electrical grid is from coal power plants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->