Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Look I apologize if I am over the top but it’s been a continual theme here, often led by you, to blame STH and tell us what to do with our money.

No one is telling you what to do with your money, Mr. Tier 1 Fan.

What people are pointing out is that STH voices are the only voices Daryl Katz will ever give one red f*** about. 5000 plebs like us could stop going to games or buying anything and he would laugh.

Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lack of Playoff revenue will drive change. That is on record.

The Oilers leaving? Ask the good folks in Winnipeg and QC what that’s like.

I’m tired of non STH taking this moral high ground on STH and laying blame at our feet.

It’s become a theme of this board to slag STH when things go bad and when today happens STH often get **** on.

But non STH will still watch on TV. SMH.

I’ll go to the games and when a lack of playoff revenue and the glory that comes with it for our owner who quite frankly is richer than this entire board combined doesn’t get his glory, change will happen. That I believe.

Agree that you have the right to do what ever you want with your money.

But, disagree that lack of playoff revenue will drive change. How's that worked out for the last 10 years?

Reactions: Jamin

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

What people are pointing out is that STH voices are the only voices Daryl Katz will ever give one red **** about. 5000 plebs like us could stop going to games or buying anything and he would laugh.
He really doesn't care about most STH either. Corporate suites most definitely. And eventually the poorly run company and embarrassing atmosphere when they try to entertain clients will be too much. With the renewals coming due, they might actually be screwed this year

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He really doesn't care about most STH either. Corporate suites most definitely. And eventually the poorly run company and embarrassing atmosphere when they try to entertain clients will be too much. With the renewals coming due, they might actually be screwed this year
My dad's firm has a suite and loge seats and can't find clients to give tickets to games to. Unfortunately they're locked in for a couple more years but I can't imagine any of the other suite holders will be lining up to renew.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

What people are pointing out is that STH voices are the only voices Daryl Katz will ever give one red **** about. 5000 plebs like us could stop going to games or buying anything and he would laugh.

Telling a STH to not buy season tickets is telling a season ticket holder what to do with their money and it can get pretty self righteous and indignant in this forum when STH are blamed for the Oilers poor showing.

I’ll keep my tix and enjoy the games thank you very much.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Agree that you have the right to do what ever you want with your money.

But, disagree that lack of playoff revenue will drive change. How's that worked out for the last 10 years?

I am talking about moving forward. Not the water that’s already under the bridge. I would think that at some point even his patience is running out. He has a pretty large investment in the area whereas he did not at Rexall Place.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am talking about moving forward. Not the water that’s already under the bridge. I would think that at some point even his patience is running out. He has a pretty large investment in the area whereas he did not at Rexall Place.
Pretty sure he's looked at the water that's flowed under the bridge as well for a long time. A lot of water to ignore.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Pretty sure he's looked at the water that's flowed under the bridge as well for a long time. A lot of water to ignore.

Pretty sure that it is on record that it’s playoffs or bust for the Oilers this year. That is the context for my comment on lack of playoff revenue.

Well either way I will enjoy going go to the games with the other 18500 people who attend live and support the players. I’ve already renewed for 3 more years.

And @Peanut Butter the Tier 1 fan designation is something Lowe used not me. Every fan is valuable and every fan has a voice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The 3yr, 5yr, 7yr locked in packaged for the deluxe seating options ought to have been a Bellwether. This essentially locking in significant revenue, and a considerable portion of arena revenue for an extended period. Connor McDavid and new arena buzz allowed this to occur. Of course economy as well. 3yrs into the new arena the situation is entirely different. Economy shot, world markets shot, nonstop political uncertainty disrupting markets. The sobriety that arguably should always be present, fiscally, has returned and I would think with more individuals and businesses probably reevaluating required vs discretionary spending. Luxury is luxury. It is not economy proof.

Every one of the 3, 5, 7 yr intervals is going to be a financial hit without several situations changing dramatically.

One perplexing thing is by the time the build out is complete the Arena will already be through most of its first 10yr buzz factor. Most arena's do particularly well in first 10yrs of operation, offer more impetus, economic stimulus, but in a cycle that is fairly short term. Typically by year 15-20 owners are clamoring for paid retrofits to make whatever other income. They want improvements, innovation, tech updates. By year 20 Arena's have revealed their limitations. More complaints than praise tends to occur. Regardless of facility it seems that Arena/Stadia are fashion infrastructure and invariably fall out of favor. What looked great at inception looks dated 20yrs later. By year 30 Arena replacement is almost invariably on the menu. That's the current day time frame. By year 30 there is usually all kinds of noise about needing a new and better arena. Long gone are the days where such things were considered to have up to 100yr usable lifespans.

Additionally I find it a bit odd that much of the rollout of "Entertainment district" will not be finished until half way through the arena buzz structure and there might only be 5-10 years where such a district is much of any attraction. Especially given the scaleback on what will be built out. The district is a key point of the buzz factor for the whole project. For the whole development.

I wonder what the opinion of all this is in 2020, 2o30.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
40% rollbacks.

Its interesting that a month ago all remaining unsold seats for Monday and Tuesday games were firesaled at 40% off. There is no recent precedent for the Oilers doing this. The last time any seats were promotional marked down was coming back from the last major CBA impasse in 2005. The key point is the Oilers had considerable tickets on these dates that were unsold. Not sold to STH, not sold as minipacs, they could not be liquidated consistently at regular sticker price. The Oilers felt that getting 40% less for these tickets was better revenue than them being left unsold. This flies in the face of an org that is telling us about a 500some game sellout string. The 40% ticket reduction and sell of course doesn't occur for no reason.

Next I find it interesting that Oilers have become Santa Claus and rolled back concessions and drink prices 40% pregame. I think they're calling it Winterfest or something like that. Again the Oilers are not in the business of generally being charitable towards paying fans. This again is an unprecedented move and frankly I can't remember the last time the Oilers have gone Walmart rollback prices promotion with their fans.

Really I think both are somewhat positive moves considering affordability and can be viewed as nods to the economic situation. Giving fans some sticker price relief is the org at least being flexible in what I feel is overpricing.

But you can't escape that the 40% rollbacks are virtually unheard of here. A real rarity. This just 3yrs into the new arena. Another Bellwether?

I haven't even mentioned what this potentially does to minipack buyers or STH that are concerned about pricing. Any time a business is seen pricing their product on sale they risk creating a segment of informed consumers that are interested in waiting and opting out for that next sale. The 40% off tickets are far better prices than ANY of the minipacs. They are more in line with price/ticket of STH. But why buy 40some games when you can just pick and select some at same price/ticket?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pretty sure that it is on record that it’s playoffs or bust for the Oilers this year. That is the context for my comment on lack of playoff revenue.

Well either way I will enjoy going go to the games with the other 18500 people who attend live and support the players. I’ve already renewed for 3 more years.

And @Peanut Butter the Tier 1 fan designation is something Lowe used not me. Every fan is valuable and every fan has a voice.

I applaud you for continuing to get the tickets and support the team. I was a STH since the WHA days, but my brother and I finally had enough and dropped them this year. Combination of the state of the organization, value for cost, and too many other things on the go. Now, we just pick the games we are interested in, and go on the NHL tickets re-sale even on game day and usually get them for cost or less. Has worked out well for us. I suspect as this season goes on, we will have greater selection and cheaper prices.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Read the last couple pages. A couple people said if season ticket holders protested and quit renewing we would lose the team. As part of the arena deal the Oilers signed a 35 year location agreement with the city of Edmonton. So Katz would have to sell before he could move the team.

Im not sure on this but Edmonton must be top half of revenue and have Mcdavid and new arena so I think the NHL would find a potential owner vs moving the team

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I applaud you for continuing to get the tickets and support the team. I was a STH since the WHA days, but my brother and I finally had enough and dropped them this year. Combination of the state of the organization, value for cost, and too many other things on the go. Now, we just pick the games we are interested in, and go on the NHL tickets re-sale even on game day and usually get them for cost or less. Has worked out well for us. I suspect as this season goes on, we will have greater selection and cheaper prices.

Trust me after a game like the Sharks or this recent 5 game home stand that blew up in our face I ask myself WTF am I doing but honestly I love live hockey and if I am in a city that has a game going I always try to go no matter who is playing. My son loves going too and it’s our dad son time as well when he isn’t working late.

I totally get why people drop the tickets though and far be it from me to tell you not to. I am hopeful the apparent lack of playoff revenue this year will be the catalyst for change and the front office is firehosed out.

I also think the tickets are way too expensive compared to the other venues I’ve been. It’s the most expensive ticket other than Rangers games thus far. In Florida they are practically paying you to come watch.

I hope they do not raise prices this coming year. With the state of the local economy and lack of team success it would send an awfully cold message to the city.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
My dad's firm has a suite and loge seats and can't find clients to give tickets to games to. Unfortunately they're locked in for a couple more years but I can't imagine any of the other suite holders will be lining up to renew.

Exact same thing with me - clients dont want them.

Hell I can go to any game I want but I'm not wasting 4 hours in a cold January to see a bottom 6 of PTO misfits Charielli has assembled.

Reactions: Yeah15

Messier11

May 9, 2016
The 3yr, 5yr, 7yr locked in packaged for the deluxe seating options ought to have been a Bellwether. This essentially locking in significant revenue, and a considerable portion of arena revenue for an extended period. Connor McDavid and new arena buzz allowed this to occur. Of course economy as well. 3yrs into the new arena the situation is entirely different. Economy shot, world markets shot, nonstop political uncertainty disrupting markets. The sobriety that arguably should always be present, fiscally, has returned and I would think with more individuals and businesses probably reevaluating required vs discretionary spending. Luxury is luxury. It is not economy proof.

Every one of the 3, 5, 7 yr intervals is going to be a financial hit without several situations changing dramatically.

One perplexing thing is by the time the build out is complete the Arena will already be through most of its first 10yr buzz factor. Most arena's do particularly well in first 10yrs of operation, offer more impetus, economic stimulus, but in a cycle that is fairly short term. Typically by year 15-20 owners are clamoring for paid retrofits to make whatever other income. They want improvements, innovation, tech updates. By year 20 Arena's have revealed their limitations. More complaints than praise tends to occur. Regardless of facility it seems that Arena/Stadia are fashion infrastructure and invariably fall out of favor. What looked great at inception looks dated 20yrs later. By year 30 Arena replacement is almost invariably on the menu. That's the current day time frame. By year 30 there is usually all kinds of noise about needing a new and better arena. Long gone are the days where such things were considered to have up to 100yr usable lifespans.

Additionally I find it a bit odd that much of the rollout of "Entertainment district" will not be finished until half way through the arena buzz structure and there might only be 5-10 years where such a district is much of any attraction. Especially given the scaleback on what will be built out. The district is a key point of the buzz factor for the whole project. For the whole development.

I wonder what the opinion of all this is in 2020, 2o30.

Interesting points. I am a loge ledge STH. The cost of seats for the next three year term are going up substantially. I think that in good times (opening of new arena, a team that performs, etc), you are generally euphoric and avoid the logical side of the argument in terms of renewing or not. Certainly, we knew that if we ever wanted to sell our two tickets for a game that there would rarely be a time where we would recoup our seat costs (about $900 for two seats per game).

What I find now is that, like many people, I start to question my time...going to the game, getting out the game. I also start to notice the deficiencies in the area more. Boohoo, but it is odd that you cannot buy a slice of pizza on the loge level. After having been to other arenas, notably Vegas, the glaring lack of good food options becomes more obvious. I think the OEG would benefit from realizing that if they cannot put a good product onto the ice, they sure as heck need to make sure that the off ice product is other worldly. It seems that rather than do this, they believe that discounting the food by 40% is the answer. I would say no. My wife and I, instead, bring our own food in our jackets or her purse occasionally. Why? Not because we are cheap, but because the food just sucks. On Loge, their big change in the menu was to offer limitless popcorn. Unfortunately, that come with limitless sodium. They used to have a charcuterie option that was healthier which was nice. But you just get forced to have overpaid crap. They used to have vegetable with hummus. Not anymore.

I am not suggestion that we need to have the healthiest menu in the world, but in Vegas you can get gelato. You can get artisanal pizza. In Winnipeg, you can get an amazing 1 foot hotdog. Why not open Rogers Place up to a Dairy Queen for instance? Get other retailers in for the fan experience, not the Katz Wallet Experience.

This team and organization are just frustrating beyond all belief. I think there are many people on this forum who have had the ability to make better trades and identify better players to acquire. Chiarelli seems to admit that at times, mentioning that "we were fishing in bigger waters" only to go on to say that people "don't want to help our team." Really? How is it that Treliving was able to force Carolina to help him out when he picked over Carolina? How was it that he is able to identify needs and with surgical precision acquire them? The excuses that Chiarelli spews are just beyond me. And it seems that in his media discussions post trades, he appears to be generally antagonistic, defensive, and completely lost.

God help us all as Oilers fans. It is sad that so many of us have to share a common sentiment of "I will cheer for wherever McDavid ends up." Sadder that this organization does not give a flying ***k. At this point, I would just love to see the under-peformers removed from the team. Yes, I don't know how to do it because of 1 way contracts and buyouts, but the number of imposters on this team who appear to be only interested in the lifestyle of being an NHL player rather than actually being one is too high on the team. It seems to be a major problem with our city and the players we end up with.

I'll get off the soap box. Thank you for the opportunity to vent. The only consolation I find in this whole experience is being able to listen to others on the forum.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
OK, you've finally come to a point that makes some sense to me. I wish more STH would cancel to actually punish Katz for his handling of the team but it's certainly not their fault for paying for and enjoying a service. I just think it gives the Oilers more wiggle room to shuffle deck chairs instead of making real change.

For the record, I went back three pages in here and see one guy calling STHs stupid. Not sure where this feeling of persecution and ostracizing STHs is coming from.

It is not this particular thread but a cumulative amount of posts from several posters. Either way I was off base in getting so pissed off. Just hit a nerve and tired of the a small group of self righteousness of Oiler TV watchers who sometimes lord it over STH as being part of the issue. Every fan is important to this organization and should be respected by the team but as Lowe pointed out they have priorities. Anyway asking for a boycott, asking STH to mass bail out is as unrealistic as it is asking for Katz to sell the team.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interesting points. I am a loge ledge STH. The cost of seats for the next three year term are going up substantially. I think that in good times (opening of new arena, a team that performs, etc), you are generally euphoric and avoid the logical side of the argument in terms of renewing or not. Certainly, we knew that if we ever wanted to sell our two tickets for a game that there would rarely be a time where we would recoup our seat costs (about $900 for two seats per game).

What I find now is that, like many people, I start to question my time...going to the game, getting out the game. I also start to notice the deficiencies in the area more. Boohoo, but it is odd that you cannot buy a slice of pizza on the loge level. After having been to other arenas, notably Vegas, the glaring lack of good food options becomes more obvious. I think the OEG would benefit from realizing that if they cannot put a good product onto the ice, they sure as heck need to make sure that the off ice product is other worldly. It seems that rather than do this, they believe that discounting the food by 40% is the answer. I would say no. My wife and I, instead, bring our own food in our jackets or her purse occasionally. Why? Not because we are cheap, but because the food just sucks. On Loge, their big change in the menu was to offer limitless popcorn. Unfortunately, that come with limitless sodium. They used to have a charcuterie option that was healthier which was nice. But you just get forced to have overpaid crap. They used to have vegetable with hummus. Not anymore.

I am not suggestion that we need to have the healthiest menu in the world, but in Vegas you can get gelato. You can get artisanal pizza. In Winnipeg, you can get an amazing 1 foot hotdog. Why not open Rogers Place up to a Dairy Queen for instance? Get other retailers in for the fan experience, not the Katz Wallet Experience.

This team and organization are just frustrating beyond all belief. I think there are many people on this forum who have had the ability to make better trades and identify better players to acquire. Chiarelli seems to admit that at times, mentioning that "we were fishing in bigger waters" only to go on to say that people "don't want to help our team." Really? How is it that Treliving was able to force Carolina to help him out when he picked over Carolina? How was it that he is able to identify needs and with surgical precision acquire them? The excuses that Chiarelli spews are just beyond me. And it seems that in his media discussions post trades, he appears to be generally antagonistic, defensive, and completely lost.

God help us all as Oilers fans. It is sad that so many of us have to share a common sentiment of "I will cheer for wherever McDavid ends up." Sadder that this organization does not give a flying ***k. At this point, I would just love to see the under-peformers removed from the team. Yes, I don't know how to do it because of 1 way contracts and buyouts, but the number of imposters on this team who appear to be only interested in the lifestyle of being an NHL player rather than actually being one is too high on the team. It seems to be a major problem with our city and the players we end up with.

I'll get off the soap box. Thank you for the opportunity to vent. The only consolation I find in this whole experience is being able to listen to others on the forum.

Yeah mine are Loge seats as well. I haven't seen the prices for Loge seats yet for the next 3 years, that or I purposefully forgot LOL. Re- getting out of the game, I hit Studio99 for half an hour now and listen to the post game show with a beverage, and then leave. Parking lot and streets have emptied out and it's an easy drive home. Crossing the High Level is a pain in the ass otherwise. As for the food choices I totally agree. I have sat in some of the premium seats at rinks and the food choices on the Loge level is Public Arena quality or worse and have consistently voiced my concern to our account rep. I have given up ordering food on that level other than popcorn or a pretzel. For the price of the seats however it is ridiculous.

Either way Katz needs to send his vaunted OEG team to Detroit, Vegas or even Florida. They do it right there regarding in game food choices. Detroit by the way, their arena blows our arena completely away in every respect other than the seating, which are too narrow and talking to some Red Wing STH they say is a huge complaint. Many people watch the game in one of the 6 fantastic restaurants inside the building rather than sit in the stands which makes the games appear less attended than they really are. We witnessed that at the Oiler game this year, the concourse was busy even in the middle of the 2nd period and we didn't go back to our seats until the 3rd practically. But wow what an arena they have, it blows Rogers Place away.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
The list of reasons why I will be letting my tickets go after this season is very long, disheartening, and growing; and ultimately I know that the OEG really doesn’t care or they would have addressed many of them long ago.

One example that I just recently noticed is that they are now using dynamic pricing on the sales of remaining tickets. For example, I’m certain that when I looked at tickets for this Saturday’s game versus the Coyotes, original remaining standard tickets (not resale) in my section were selling for below my Season Seat holder cost (almost 15%/ticket less). This is no trivial matter to me; essentially one would have to sell at even a further loss (since the resale fees are greater than standard ticket fees). When I looked again today the ticket prices have increased (although still less than STC). Have any of you noticed this as well?

Season Ticket Holder prices perpetually go up, and this year single game prices have went down many games to below Season Ticket Holder cost.

All this aside, like so many others have already noted - the value for the money is simply not there for me - it may have never really been but it's no longer even remotely close ...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Way ahead of you guys. Finally gave ours up at the end of last year, and haven't looked back. Been to a couple games this year of our choosing this year by going on to the NHL's ticket place and got great deals on drink rail seats. Fits into our schedule way better and have saved $$$. Used some of the savedmoney to get season tickets at Stage West. Dinner and 5 plays per year at a fraction of the cost. And I swear, everytime I walk out of there, I feel satisfied and happy with the food and the performance, and my blood pressure is stable.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
My dad was invited to a season ticket holder focus group meeting next Tuesday. Sounds like the Oilers hired a third party to run it, and some Oilers reps will be in attendance. He's pissed off and ready to tear the team a new one, and I can imagine everyone else who will be going is feeling the same way.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
My dad was invited to a season ticket holder focus group meeting next Tuesday. Sounds like the Oilers hired a third party to run it, and some Oilers reps will be in attendance. He's pissed off and ready to tear the team a new one, and I can imagine everyone else who will be going is feeling the same way.

Interesting, have they hosted these before?

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I won’t renew next season, love the Oilers, Mcdavid is worth the price of admission every night. Management has done such a poor job building this team, they are hard to watch night in and night out. Not to mention, resale tickets are so cheap now, I can’t see it making much sense to renew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia