Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Yea @StevenF1919 they do this every year. The format is different sometimes. I have been to one before and been invited to one that I couldn’t attend. I think it’s random draw who they pick.

If there is one thing I've learned over the last few years it's never a "random draw". The more money you are spending the more likely you are to get invites to stuff. I don't disagree with the method at all, people who are in for 10k+ per seat should have a pretty heavy weighting to their opinion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If there is one thing I've learned over the last few years it's never a "random draw". The more money you are spending the more likely you are to get invites to stuff. I don't disagree with the method at all, people who are in for 10k+ per seat should have a pretty heavy weighting to their opinion.

The converse of that is simply stated. That somebody going in at 10K is LEAST representative of the overall market of ticket buyers. Talking to the 1% gets a very select opinion. An opinion of those obviously willing to throw endless money at this org.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Edit: Nm, got sucked in when I saw "ignored user", shouldn't have un-ignored lol

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see it as buying shares in the team, the more shares you have the more say you have. If I was paying 10k a seat and the Oilers were listening to the people sitting way up in the 2nd level attack once side I'd be pissed. People willing to spend 3k a seat are way easier to come by then people willing to spend 10k.

I know what point you are making. I don't agree with it. Its just as misrepresentative as Klowe's 2nd tier fans but on a whole other level. Plus these are not shares, these are purchases. people in for more are not shareholders, they are not investing in the actual org, they are just buying tickets. They aren't getting returns, dividends etc. You can attempt the shareholder argument, it doesn't fly.

I disagree that the rest of the arena is generally easier to sell. Like I surmised the business owners paying out huge coin for perks might just be the sitting ducks in the pond. The ones that will buy almost regardless. Given that they are enticed to pay the most one could think (easily) they are the most hooked. Those are also the buyers that are least concerned with the actual product. Around the world in any league luxury seating is more about displaying wealth and sitting around schmoozing than being attentive to the games. The game is backdrop amusement. Luxury suites are more about conveying buyer success. Work with us, be in business with us, etc. Its blatant display of wealth. Corporate wise its a display of vitality having these luxury seats. The facilities matter more than the product on the ice.

This being clear even in how these are marketed. The sales presentation room of the Luxury seating evokes real estate sales show rooms more than it evokes sports or entertainment. They're just selling the ambiance and bling of the luxury seating and lux rooms themselves.

Last edited:

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Yea @StevenF1919 they do this every year. The format is different sometimes. I have been to one before and been invited to one that I couldn’t attend. I think it’s random draw who they pick.

What kind of things are discussed? I'm just curious, is it focused on STH stuff or the team as a whole? Wonder if anything gets actioned from this meeting or is it just for show.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
What kind of things are discussed? I'm just curious, is it focused on STH stuff or the team as a whole? Wonder if anything gets actioned from this meeting or is it just for show.
All feedback gets filed in a box under Nicholson's desk.
hsm-1820box-shredder-box-insert-for-b32-76f.jpg

Reactions: boredem

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Funny enough they just called me and asked me to come to their focus group on Tuesday... Can't decide if I should go or not.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

When I went they were addressing legitimate fan concerns with netting in the end zones and of course team performance. They did a dog and pony show and while it was nice and all it did little to assuage a lot of the anger present. My friend went last year and threw them a hardball question re: team performance and roster construction and the answer was We Believe In The Plan. So take that for what it’s worth.

Just read you received an invite. I’d go as it looks like with a 3rd party there they are expecting a shit ton of fan blow back. Go and give them both barrels if the opportunity presents itself but these things are carefully choreographed to ensure that real anger stays bottled up. I am hoping I get invited. I don’t stay bottled up very easily lol.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Tickets for tonights game are going for as little as $25.00, with a brand new building and the most exciting and best player in the world, its amazing how much the management has devalued the product. We are becoming like the Ottawa Senators or Florida Panthers, haha

Why would one become a season ticket holder at this point other than conveince. It makes absoultely no sense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some of the STH should have brought up the 40% on sale price reductions for all Monday and Tuesday games that the team put on sale on Cyber Monday. That would be a slap in the face to everybody that had spend more, and had spent it long in advance. That's something the org should answer to.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Inspiration for this is the Sun Headline but tonight its gonna have to be High and Drai

Leon will have to dial up a Colorado type game with Connor looking ill.

heh, meant to post this in the GDT.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Dynamic ticket pricing for events that don't sell out isn't new. Not surprised its made its way to the Oilers if they are not selling out the building.

We got floor seats to Brad Paisley for $50 2 hours before the show when they were selling for $250 when they were released.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dynamic ticket pricing for events that don't sell out isn't new. Not surprised its made its way to the Oilers if they are not selling out the building.

We got floor seats to Brad Paisley for $50 2 hours before the show when they were selling for $250 when they were released.

Sure, we did the same for Smashing Pumpkins. FANTASTIC seats and only 35bucks. For first level DRL.

But that is different as concerts are a one off, it isn't a repeat audience that takes note. There are no concert STH getting screwed. When Oilers are doing a 40% off price cut that is much different and of course people take notice and question what the benefit of STH is if the Oilers put some of the same games on sale later.

The biggest approaching problem for the Oilers is they didn't even sell out this season. its a fiction they keep repeating. Hundreds of tickets available unsold for many games that are at best game day pick ups. Word is out that you can just buy tickets game day even for all but premium matchups. If this club misses the playoffs again that's seriously going to impact value and sales of STH even more. Now its 3yrs and the 3yr renew premium options come up. Another huge headache for the org.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016

Was the dynamic ticket pricing offered on the ticketmaster site for regular ticket sales?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Was the dynamic ticket pricing offered on the ticketmaster site for regular ticket sales?

I had stated in the thread twice that the Oilers offered all Monday and Tuesday remaining games on sale for 40% off. All remaining tickets. Even Snet lounge, Skylounge. This was a one day sale on Cyber Monday. It was well advertised. Yes, it was on ticketmaster and for individual game tickets. As many as you want at the price.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
I had stated in the thread twice that the Oilers offered all Monday and Tuesday remaining games on sale for 40% off. All remaining tickets. Even Snet lounge, Skylounge. This was a one day sale on Cyber Monday. It was well advertised. Yes, it was on ticketmaster and for individual game tickets. As many as you want at the price.

I'm not asking about the Oilers 40% off. My question relates to "We got floor seats to Brad Paisley for $50 2 hours before the show when they were selling for $250 when they were released."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not asking about the Oilers 40% off. My question relates to "We got floor seats to Brad Paisley for $50 2 hours before the show when they were selling for $250 when they were released."
Couldn't ascertain which you meant from the generic wording of the question. Weitz had referred to both Oilers and the concert tickets.

Ticketmaster does the same for concerts. Whatever the promoter wants. if tickets get slashed in price that happens on ticketmaster, yes, for concerts too. Seen that a couple times just in last couple months. You can even get Groupon deals on concert tickets. Pretty soon they'll be offering free pizza deals...(jk on the last part)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Once they install 500 more urinals, I will consider taking out season tickets again.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

Yes they were regular sales from ticketmaster. Not resales or anything.

This isn't anything new and exclusive to Concerts or the Oilers or anything.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016

From an earlier post of mine and, respectfully contrary to what another poster is suggesting, pretty sure this hasn't happened before this year as far as Oiler single game seats go (single seat game day promotions aside) ...

"One example that I just recently noticed is that they are now using dynamic pricing on the sales of remaining tickets. For example, I’m certain that when I looked at tickets for this Saturday’s game versus the Coyotes, original remaining standard tickets (not resale) in my section were selling for below my Season Seat holder cost (almost 15%/ticket less). This is no trivial matter to me; essentially one would have to sell at even a further loss (since the resale fees are greater than standard ticket fees). When I looked again today the ticket prices have increased (although still less than STC). Have any of you noticed this as well?"

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
They were down to $22 for that game.

Should probably just give them up. Even the year they made the playoffs the demand was soft in the second round. First round seats were going for 300+ and the second round was down in the 200s.

It'd be cheaper for me to just buy playoff games resale if they ever make it again, than to carry season tickets.

Reactions: Nonamee and boredem

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Should probably just give them up. Even the year they made the playoffs the demand was soft in the second round. First round seats were going for 300+ and the second round was down in the 200s.

It'd be cheaper for me to just buy playoff games resale if they ever make it again, than to carry season tickets.

In the first round my lower bowl seats were going for double my cost it was great. I got to go to games for free. That was also the first playoff round in a decade so no wonder the excitement.

Second round? Could barely cover my cost.

Already picked out a giant TV and some theatre seating for next season. Total cost is the same as going to 15 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad