Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcjesus88

Apr 18, 2016
Sherwood Park
season seat holder, no longer able to get there tickets printed on cardboard stock anymore (hard copy tickets) i was told its no longer an option even for a fee, also i was told you can no longer print tickets at home before games.. its electronic / season seat card only,,

is this true, or did the girl i was talking to not understand me??

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
season seat holder, no longer able to get there tickets printed on cardboard stock anymore (hard copy tickets) i was told its no longer an option even for a fee, also i was told you can no longer print tickets at home before games.. its electronic / season seat card only,,

is this true, or did the girl i was talking to not understand me??

I think that might be the case. Most markets have gone totally to electronic cards.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In the past: "I was at that game! Here's the ticket stub."

Today: "I was at that game! Here's an electronic card. It's on there. You have to believe me. I swear I was at that game."

I hear you, I have photo albums full of tickets from when I was young. I guess this is the new electronic age...or you could print the Ticketmaster ticket or save the program.

G Unit

Apr 8, 2016
I find it hard to believe they would remove the ability to print tickets at home. That doesn’t save the organization anything, financially. Additionally when you sell tickets to a game, would the buyer no longer have the ability to print the tickets either?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Maybe for the environment? Momentum banning plastic straws. 18000 cardboard tickets gone digital is a lot of cardboard saved. 18000 people not printing at home using electric is a lot of trees saved.

Having said that Im not a season ticket holder just throwing out an idea

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I find it hard to believe they would remove the ability to print tickets at home. That doesn’t save the organization anything, financially. Additionally when you sell tickets to a game, would the buyer no longer have the ability to print the tickets either?

You can still use the print at home option and that is how tickets are resold. OP talking about the nice paper printed tickets teams used to have.

Reactions: G Unit

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maybe for the environment? Momentum banning plastic straws. 18000 cardboard tickets gone digital is a lot of cardboard saved. 18000 people not printing at home using electric is a lot of trees saved.

Having said that Im not a season ticket holder just throwing out an idea

Tickets were thick stock paper not cardboard and it is a money saving technique as well as buyer security and ease of use. Personally I love the card from an ease of use perspective and resale / transfer perspective but I can see why some miss the old ticket books.

Some markets dont even use cards, Vegas its all download to your phone and I think New Jersey as well. (2 arenas I went to see the Oilers play at last season)

Reactions: G Unit

oreos2334

Jul 14, 2016
You can still use the print at home option and that is how tickets are resold. OP talking about the nice paper printed tickets teams used to have.

Are you positive that the print at home option still is available? Last season I bought extra tickets to a couple of games via ticketmaster and the only available option offered was mobile entry...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Are you positive that the print at home option still is available? Last season I bought extra tickets to a couple of games via ticketmaster and the only available option offered was mobile entry...

]I used print at home for several games last year when I gave the tickets away and bought extra tickets to the Leafs game myself and printed them. Not sure why the only option was mobile entry for you, maybe a setting or where the seats were located or something?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Update, just got an email and Rogers will only have the season ticket holders carded entry and mobile entry available. No longer can one use print at home tickets or do they offer an optional STH printed ticket pack.

So it’s STH cards, mobile, or nothing. I guess printed fraudulent tickets are the reason which makes sense.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Confirmed today no more printed tickets:

We are pleased to announce today the latest customer developments in mobile ticketing at Rogers Place to continue our efforts on providing fans a safe, secure and convenient ticketing experience.

As we continue to focus on eliminating fraudulent tickets in the marketplace and improving our ability to assist with lost or stolen tickets, effective July, 2018 Rogers Place has discontinued the option for printed tickets or PDFs for ticketed events.

This initiative has been in effect for Rogers Place concerts as well as Oilers and Oil Kings individual game sales since 2016, and will now expand to all tickets issued for Rogers Place events.

Your ability to manage your tickets online via Account Manager in early August, including sharing and donating your tickets, will not change. In addition to your Season Seat Card, your smartphone will now be your exclusive ticketing platform when entering Rogers Place.

The incidents of fraudulent tickets have reduced significantly due to our mobile ticketing initiatives, and with your continued partnership, we can make the ticket buying experience safe and secure for all fans.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers are really shilling their "power packs" this year, wonder if they're having trouble moving them.

Normally theres even a lottery for a *chance* at winning, heh, one of these. This time I'm not even hearing them mention lottery. Just to sign up for when Power Packs are released Suggesting theres enough to go around to meet, ur, demand this time.

Seems like Edmonton fans in general are just learning to say no. The Eskimos haven't even sold out the Grey cup and tickets have been on sale for months. They sold out the last one in 6 days and when capacity at Commonwealth was 63K.

Can anybody mention where they are on waitlist presently. Would be interesting to know how whittled down waitlist is.

oreos2334

Jul 14, 2016
Update, just got an email and Rogers will only have the season ticket holders carded entry and mobile entry available. No longer can one use print at home tickets or do they offer an optional STH printed ticket pack.

So it’s STH cards, mobile, or nothing. I guess printed fraudulent tickets are the reason which makes sense.

Yeah, seems like this was only a matter of time. It doesn't bother me much but I liked sending my parents to a game a season, neither one has a smartphone and considering they're both in their late 70s they aren't likely to get one.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, seems like this was only a matter of time. It doesn't bother me much but I liked sending my parents to a game a season, neither one has a smartphone and considering they're both in their late 70s they aren't likely to get one.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah same here. Not sure how they plan to square that one but suppose I can give them my STH cards.

Last edited:

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013

Thanks for the info!
I have the same issue. My In-Laws and a few people we sell games to regularly probably won't be able to go anymore because they don't have smart phones. Maybe will-call will be an option?

Lawguy

Oct 28, 2015
Here is a link to the full FAQ from the Oilers:

Mobile Ticketing

A couple key points:
1. No more printed tickets period. No cardstock option to season seat holders. No printing .pdfs at home.
2. Anyone entering must access tickets thru the app. You cannot even screenshot the tickets according to the FAQ.
3. If you do not have a smartphone you can still transfer the tickets, the person then needs to go to the Box Office with Government ID and confirmation number.

As a season seat holder I think this is ridiculous and will be complaining loudly to my season seat account representative.

I used to pay the $100 a seat to have tickets printed and really enjoyed being able to give out actual tickets to people (even when they were reduced to generic ticketmaster option). I realize that when transferring to a stranger that stranger is going to want the .pdf which is fine but not allowing printing after that point is stupid in my opinion. I would always print the tickets and have them ready to get in the door.

This is going to cause a ton of problems, especially early in the season as people learn how to properly: download app, download tickets, open tickets in app, scan tickets, swipe to next ticket. All while hundreds are waiting behind them in line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^For clarity I'm a luddite and it isn't all that hard. Ticketmaster has gone in this direction for quite awhile and any concerts I have attended in years have been electronic tickets. Basically all you HAVE to know how to do is download the app. I mean if you have a cellphone and don't know how to do that why do you even have it? Once you have the app installed and make an account everything else is pretty much automatic. Tickets automatically load on your account, just have to select the right event. They usually even have graphic pictures to make it easily recognizable. Should mention as well you don't even have to have coverage on your cellphone to attend an event once the tickets are on your phone. Unless your settings are whacked you just click on the ticket app, the event, and the tickets reveal even if your phone is not hitting coverage. So its virtually foolproof.

tbh I had similar fears as expressed above but now prefer it. Just so theres no doubt at all I double up and load tickets and app on both my, and wifes phone. That way if either of our phones malfunction, or suddenly suffer battery drop we're good to go. Don't run out of power, that would be the easiest screw up.

I actually prefer the current method now. I like as well that an old dog keeps learning some new tricks.

Apparently around 90% of people have smartphones now. Virtually all of the people that are of the demographic that would attend events in Western World have smartphones. The world has changed, just what it is.

ps I just checked and confirmed. The Rogers APP, same as ticketmaster, has offline mode. no problem even if your phone is not online.

They have free charging onsite, at Rogers, free wifi if your phone doesn't have coverage and staff on hand if you can't figure it out. Really if you arrived 30-60mins early they'd be able to help you out and run you through downloading the APP, tickets, everything. But people are advised to get it done before hand and have the electronic tickets ready.

Last edited:

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
As much as I really like the printed tickets and given how much better they were for giving as gifts etc. I am ok with the change, it was only a matter of time.

Here is a great piece of advice someone gave me years ago: screenshot your tickets before you even leave your house.

I do this now for boarding passes, tickets, anything on my phone. Then you aren't relying on an app to run while you're in sketchy wifi or trying to be in a hurry. All you have to do is open your photo gallery and your tickets are right there.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I understand some of the concerns people raise, but I personally prefer the application/card method. Just found the additional convenience factors added outweigh the inconvenience factors added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad