Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007
I agree. The upper level in the new barn is awful. Too high and steep for me. I actually preferred the upper level in Rexall but will not go to a game at Rogers in the upper level.
I agree......I miss the old building!

sgm1

Oct 30, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I have a questions for you all...I'm looking to buy a jersey for a Christmas present for a friend. I know season seat holders get a discount, but my issue is that I split season tickets with a couple friends. My name isn't actually on the season tickets. Does anyone know if the Kingsway Oiler store asks for ID when purchasing items with your season seat card? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

greenlightning86

Mar 5, 2008
I have a questions for you all...I'm looking to buy a jersey for a Christmas present for a friend. I know season seat holders get a discount, but my issue is that I split season tickets with a couple friends. My name isn't actually on the season tickets. Does anyone know if the Kingsway Oiler store asks for ID when purchasing items with your season seat card? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

I'm not sure about that but lids.ca still has big savings on Jersey's today. If you know what you want without looking at it this would be a good alternative.

https://www.lids.ca/nhl/edmonton-oilers/jerseys

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
They’ve never asked me to see anything more than the card.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
More reason to not renew seats.

Not sure if many noted it, I told people it was available, but the Oilers pulled a cyber Monday sale for all remaining Monday, Tuesday games at 40% off ALL prices. Even The Lounge Smorg sections. Meaning that lowest cost was 40something bucks upper deck and game and eats lined up around 120-140 depending on game.

I mention this because it is an unprecedented desperate move by the Oilers to move out a considerable amount of straggling tickets to low demand weekday games. Yet the Oilers continue to claim sellouts every night. I think its a fiction. That they needed to cut prices by 40% dispels the myth. The Oilers aren't into charity or giving margin away. This 40% off deal was a cut loss ploy. Get something for those empty seats.

But then I look at the most recent LA game and I could actually buy resales for 32bucks. Yes, they were that low and about 20pairs were lower than 50bucks. But then you look at tonight and ticket, lowest, are around 78bucks. but for one reason, Saturday Night. So that specifically what is operating here is not the Oilers actually selling, the premise of going to NHL hockey on a Saturday night is still selling. But that's only one day a week.

In anycase I wonder how long the Oilers will be allowed to perpetuate the sellout myths. For the first season in a long time tickets have been available for every game that have never been sold. For the first time three was no lottery for minipacs. Those minipacs did not even sellout this time.

Reactions: Aerrol and Nonamee

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Has anyone used the "Up to 75% off" sport chek coupon they emailed out? I was thinking about picking up a new stick for that deal but the "Up to" part makes me wonder how they determine how much you get.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Not sure if many noted it, I told people it was available, but the Oilers pulled a cyber Monday sale for all remaining Monday, Tuesday games at 40% off ALL prices. Even The Lounge Smorg sections. Meaning that lowest cost was 40something bucks upper deck and game and eats lined up around 120-140 depending on game.

I mention this because it is an unprecedented desperate move by the Oilers to move out a considerable amount of straggling tickets to low demand weekday games. Yet the Oilers continue to claim sellouts every night. I think its a fiction. That they needed to cut prices by 40% dispels the myth. The Oilers aren't into charity or giving margin away. This 40% off deal was a cut loss ploy. Get something for those empty seats.

But then I look at the most recent LA game and I could actually buy resales for 32bucks. Yes, they were that low and about 20pairs were lower than 50bucks. But then you look at tonight and ticket, lowest, are around 78bucks. but for one reason, Saturday Night. So that specifically what is operating here is not the Oilers actually selling, the premise of going to NHL hockey on a Saturday night is still selling. But that's only one day a week.

In anycase I wonder how long the Oilers will be allowed to perpetuate the sellout myths. For the first season in a long time tickets have been available for every game that have never been sold. For the first time three was no lottery for minipacs. Those minipacs did not even sellout this time.

I'll give you another example ....... I would have loved to go to the game last night ...... Saturday night game against a fun divisional rival. Unfortunately, I found out three weeks ago that my wife's work Xmas party was scheduled for the same day.

I immediately posted my pair of tickets on the Oilers Ticket Exchange. My seats are Sec 223, Row 1, Aisle Seats. My season ticket holder cost is approx $199/pair. Very good value in my opinion. However, because of the spread that the Ticket Exchange takes, in order for me to recoup my cost on the pair, I would need to find a buyer willing to pay approx $272/pair. That's an approximate 36% spread that goes to the Ticket Exchange. All of a sudden the perceived value of my tickets and their associated cost, completely dissipates. I ended up selling my pair at a loss, and recouped only $128.

I am not heartbroken over the actual loss of money, but more so the principal of it all. Where is the benefit to being a season ticket holder anymore?

When you consider that:

1) the market value of tickets (even for a weekend game) is less than the cost to buy them as a season ticket holder; and
2) the primary route for buying/selling tickets is so prohibitive and not at all cost-friendly for both parties,

it becomes incredibly difficult to continue being a season ticket holder who generally attends 22 to 27 games per season (let alone one who attends less than 20 games per season).

I will be sad to do it, but after 16 years, I will no longer be a season ticket holder next season. Too tough of a pill to swallow. I would prefer to join the ranks of intelligent individuals that scoop tickets at a discounted price to any game they wish to attend, at their convenience, with no financial commitment in advance.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll give you another example ....... I would have loved to go to the game last night ...... Saturday night game against a fun divisional rival. Unfortunately, I found out three weeks ago that my wife's work Xmas party was scheduled for the same day.

I immediately posted my pair of tickets on the Oilers Ticket Exchange. My seats are Sec 223, Row 1, Aisle Seats. My season ticket holder cost is approx $199/pair. Very good value in my opinion. However, because of the spread the Ticket Exchange takes, in order for me to recoup my cost on the pair, I would need to find a buyer willing to pay approx $272/pair. That's an approximate 36% spread that goes to the Ticket Exchange! All of a sudden the perceived value of my tickets and their associated cost, completely dissipates. I ended up selling my pair at a loss, and recouped only $128 for the pair.

I am not heartbroken over the actual loss of money, but more so the principal of it all. Where is the benefit?

When the primary route for buying/selling tickets is so prohibitive for buyers, and not cost-friendly for sellers, it makes it even harder to be a season ticket holder only able to attend 25 games a season.

I will be sad to do it, but after 16 years, I will no longer be a season ticket holder next season. Too tough of a pill to swallow. I would prefer to join the ranks of intelligent individuals that scoop tickets at a discounted price to any game they wish to attend, at their convenience, with no financial commitment in advance.

Wow, the markup is that much? Is there a breakdown of the markup resale costs? Or just kind of a final figure? One thing I am specifically interested in is the City of Edmonton Ticket Surcharge. From my understanding this should only be collected (7%) at point of initial sale. But I wonder if its getting collected at each sale point.

As far as intelligent or not I'm a Social Worker. I don't have a budget that allows for something like 100-2oo buck tickets or at least I can't rationalize the expenditure. We have great STH at the Citadel for 30bucks a ticket. For that we see consistently excellent productions that the wife and I find equally enjoyable. I used to drag her to hockey games but she enjoys this more, and surprisingly I do too. Our rule is basically if some entertainment costs more than 50bucks we don't go. Sometimes make exceptions. Depends on the entertainment.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Wow, the markup is that much? Is there a breakdown of the markup resale costs? Or just kind of a final figure? One thing I am specifically interested in is the City of Edmonton Ticket Surcharge. From my understanding this should only be collected (7%) at point of initial sale. But I wonder if its getting collected at each sale point.

As far as intelligent or not I'm a Social Worker. I don't have a budget that allows for something like 100-2oo buck tickets or at least I can't rationalize the expenditure. We have great STH at the Citadel for 30bucks a ticket. For that we see consistently excellent productions that the wife and I find equally enjoyable. I used to drag her to hockey games but she enjoys this more, and surprisingly I do too. Our rule is basically if some entertainment costs more than 50bucks we don't go. Sometimes make exceptions. Depends on the entertainment.

The Seller pays approximately 11.2%, and the Buyer pays approximately 24-25%. So the spread is approximately 36%. It used to be less a couple years ago (closer to 31%).

Imagine if you held a pair of Club seats at a cost of $450/pair. Essentially for one to get their money back, they would have to list them at $500/pair, and hope to find someone willing to pay approximately $620/pair. Thus someone has to be willing to pay $170/pair more than your season ticket holder cost just for you to recoup your money. Incredible!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Seller pays approximately 11.2%, and the Buyer pays approximately 24-25%. So the spread is approximately 36%. It used to be less a couple years ago (closer to 31%).

Imagine if you held a pair of Club seats at a cost of $450/pair. Essentially for one to get their money back, they would have to list them at $500/pair, and hope to find someone willing to pay approximately $620/pair. Thus someone has to be willing to pay $170/pair more than your season ticket holder cost just for you to recoup your money. Incredible!

Untenable arrangement. Even moreso that the margin has increased at a downturn time where its even harder for people to pay those margins. But like I said somewhere in that is the negotiated 7% ticket surcharged that was part of the Rogers Place arena deal. The City went with a user pay tariff which is fair, but which is an added cost to people going. My question always, was when people would tire of paying that surcharge. People do when a facility is new. But once they've seen it a number of times the willingness to pay more decreases.

This arena wasn't intended for normal budgets. It never was.

I couldn't imagine club seats or loge seats.

I saw Wayne Gretzky play hockey in early years for as little as 3-7 bucks. Was the price of a movie back then. The best player on Earth. Still have 24buck Stanley Cup Final (Winning game) ticket stubs that I've saved. Now that's value.

Pro sports have moved from a middle class endeavor to a high priced night at the opera. jmo

Ironically now the opera, Theater, Symphony, etc, is the cheap entertainment. heh, I'll take the changes and move on. I get exposed to different culture that way as well. One thing I like a lot is arts attendees don't get up for a beer every 5mins while the performance is going on. So that the viewing is never interrupted.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Ok the sport check deal is awesome-

You basically get cost plus 10% up to $4,000 worth. I bought a fully crested white McDavid jersey for $140 bucks.
Under armour shirts and pants at over 50% off ticket price
199.99 ASICS running shoes for 76.95

You get a unique number and I have now sent it to a few friends who have used it as well.

It is EVERYTHING in store

Oh yeah I didn’t buy it buy for those ice hockey players. 199.99 sticks for 85- I was tempted cause it was a McDavid stick I thought I would get autographed but remembered you are only allowed 1 item at the autograph session (if there is one this year)

Reactions: boredem

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Ok the sport check deal is awesome-

You basically get cost plus 10% up to $4,000 worth. I bought a fully crested white McDavid jersey for $140 bucks.
Under armour shirts and pants at over 50% off ticket price
199.99 ASICS running shoes for 76.95

You get a unique number and I have now sent it to a few friends who have used it as well.

It is EVERYTHING in store

Oh yeah I didn’t buy it buy for those ice hockey players. 199.99 sticks for 85- I was tempted cause it was a McDavid stick I thought I would get autographed but remembered you are only allowed 1 item at the autograph session (if there is one this year)

Thanks for the update, I could use a few things for myself including a new stick. I'll go check it out.

Conway96

Mar 28, 2010
Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase gold seats for next season. I understand that there's the registry and I'm currently on it but it seems like a long wait. Does anyone know of any other ways to grab season tickets? If I understand correctly, an existing season ticket holder is allowed to transfer their ownership to someone new. Is there a site for that? I'm assuming not but I thought I would ask in case anyone had any leads!

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase gold seats for next season. I understand that there's the registry and I'm currently on it but it seems like a long wait. Does anyone know of any other ways to grab season tickets? If I understand correctly, an existing season ticket holder is allowed to transfer their ownership to someone new. Is there a site for that? I'm assuming not but I thought I would ask in case anyone had any leads!
Aside from just buying a bunch of games from someone I thought you could only transfer to immediate family. But I've never looked further into it.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I don't think you'll be waiting much longer. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the opportunity to purchase tickets this offseason.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Good. I'm sorry for the Season Tickets Holders, I know some and feel bad about the difficulty in re-selling tickets, but this might lead to Katz actually making some significant changes to upper management (including OBC). Their incompetence is now costing him more than just playoff revenue.

Last edited:

Olenkab29

Apr 25, 2016
Hey all, so I got the email that the annual autograph event has been changed to just a 'photo' event, meaning you can go take a pic with your fave Oiler, but no signings. Contacted the ticket dept, and they told me they had 'done this a few years ago and it was really successful, people loved it'. I guess that might be true. Anyway, I have heard the rumour that the reason they nixxed the autograph event was because of #97's contract with Upper Deck. The Oilers would have to pay Upper Deck to allow Connor to sign things, and they have decided not to do that, so as a result there is no autograph event for anyone. Does anyone know anything about this? Can anyone confirm that rumour? If it's true, I am 100 kinds of disappointed that the Oilers, even after the massive influx of cash for the expansion team, can't cough up some bucks to create a memorable time for their STHs....

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hey all, so I got the email that the annual autograph event has been changed to just a 'photo' event, meaning you can go take a pic with your fave Oiler, but no signings. Contacted the ticket dept, and they told me they had 'done this a few years ago and it was really successful, people loved it'. I guess that might be true. Anyway, I have heard the rumour that the reason they nixxed the autograph event was because of #97's contract with Upper Deck. The Oilers would have to pay Upper Deck to allow Connor to sign things, and they have decided not to do that, so as a result there is no autograph event for anyone. Does anyone know anything about this? Can anyone confirm that rumour? If it's true, I am 100 kinds of disappointed that the Oilers, even after the massive influx of cash for the expansion team, can't cough up some bucks to create a memorable time for their STHs....

I don't think the Upper Deck thing has anything to do with that as their contract cannot override the contract with the teams, and the team gets McDavid to sign tons of stuff along with every other player, so I think the rumour you heard is just bullshit. The photo event is pretty cool because you get your picture taken with the Oiler player. I also dont know what expansion money has to do with having a fan day that takes photos or autographs? One has nothing to do with the other. Either way, I think the photo event is a great idea and while I wont be there, my son and his girlfriend are super excited about it.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I’ve been a season ticket holder for four years. I love the Oilers and was so excited for the future, new building, ect.

I won’t renew this year. I don’t see things getting much better, anytime soon. Hard to even give away tickets now, let alone sell them.

Management has done a very poor job. I think many fans and season ticket holders agree.

Crankyfrank

Sep 11, 2016
I’ve been a season ticket holder for four years. I love the Oilers and was so excited for the future, new building, ect.

I won’t renew this year. I don’t see things getting much better, anytime soon. Hard to even give away tickets now, let alone sell them.

Management has done a very poor job. I think many fans and season ticket holders agree.
I agree and you are much smarter than myself as I have been a season seat holder since 2001. I don't believe I will renew as resale is ridiculous....Ticket exchange takes like 33%...cant break even unless you sell the premium games.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’m on the season ticket waiting list but have been refusing seats the last few years. I’ll get drunk rail seats if they become available but it’s really not worth it since I might go to 10 games at max in a season.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad