Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
In the first round my lower bowl seats were going for double my cost it was great. I got to go to games for free. That was also the first playoff round in a decade so no wonder the excitement.

Second round? Could barely cover my cost.

Already picked out a giant TV and some theatre seating for next season. Total cost is the same as going to 15 games.

dude, check out projectors. game changer.

Reactions: boredem

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I'm going to keep my seasons but I been selling mine. I only go to games like Florida, Carolina etcetra that cant sell.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just out of curiosity, has the team said anything yet to STH about what they expect prices to look like next year? I thought it was common for them to poll you guys every year to see what type of an increase you’d be willing to accept.

Nonamee

Sep 2, 2016
Just out of curiosity, has the team said anything yet to STH about what they expect prices to look like next year? I thought it was common for them to poll you guys every year to see what type of an increase you’d be willing to accept.

Not that I know of.

There never is a no increase nor decrease option ...;)

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I’ve mentioned this before in this thread, as a STH since 2002, this is my last year. My decision to not renew is certainly not out of spite, but rather because it does not make any financial sense to be a STH any longer. Unless you really need to sit in the exact same seat each game, best to buy from the resale market. Much cheaper, and no commitment. Just pay for the games you want and enjoy the savings.

Reactions: Nonamee and boredem

Duder54

Former season seat holder here (gave them up when I moved abroad in 2012). Out of curiosity, what are the prices for the various season seat levels nowadays? I used to have 2 seats in Sec 228, Row 36 in the Colonnade and paid approx $4200/season for the pair the last year I had them, or about $50/game/seat excl. pre-season games (which I found to be a great deal, even in the dark days after 2006).

How do current prices compare for season seats?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not that I know of.

There never is a no increase nor decrease option ...;)
Maybe I’m wrong but this thread this year seems different from the ones in the past. Usually it’s more about how the team sucks and you guys aren’t sure how much longer you can put up with it. That’s a good enough reason, imo, to reconsider whether or not you want to renew. This year it seems like most of you are complaining about taking financial beatings because the price of tickets are heavily over valued. I wonder if the Oilers have finally reached that critical point where the team is charging more than the market will bare and they’ll have to make a serious correction.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Maybe I’m wrong but this thread this year seems different from the ones in the past. Usually it’s more about how the team sucks and you guys aren’t sure how much longer you can put up with it. That’s a good enough reason, imo, to reconsider whether or not you want to renew. This year it seems like most of you are complaining about taking financial beatings because the price of tickets are heavily over valued. I wonder if the Oilers have finally reached that critical point where the team is charging more than the market will bare and they’ll have to make a serious correction.
It's ridiculous. I pay about 150 per ticket on average and my exact row on Ticketmaster is going for 124 RETAIL after fees right now. Obviously that must be the stupid 40% off remaining games thing but its absolute bullshit. Couldn't sell lower bowl attack side great tickets for 90 bucks to buffalo. So done with this shit.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I’m with everyone else. Thought I’d move my two lowers($150 per) into the cheapest uppers($40 per) I could last year because I was getting cost on high profile team/Saturday games and as low as 1/3 cost for the least desirable but never thought the seat relocation would be as early as June 5th and got the same seats. Next year, instead of having prepaid my $150 per ticket, I’ll go for dinner/beers downtown and buy one 30 minutes before the game for $50 like any sane person should be doing. I’ll look at every dinner and pint as free with change to spare.

Reactions: Nonamee

boredem

Jan 22, 2013

I'd say you are correct, we live in a different economy now as well. I sell to a lot of people in my work industry and they have good incomes but they only buy 1 game given the cost of lower bowl seats.

As I said before I have the money to go but the financial side of it makes zero sense now, even if we squeak into the playoffs and go to game 7 of the SCF like 2006 I am out. I won't even be signing up for playoff tickets this year. I will just buy 1-2 games off the resale market in the future, let other people carry the risk.

Honestly one of my favourite parts of having the seats is giving them to friends & family that otherwise could never afford to sit in the lower bowl. But unfortunately I can't justify having them for that reason.

Last edited:

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Anyone end up going to the focus group last night? Wonder how that event went....

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I only have 1 ticket, while my buddy get's the second ticket. Our price is around $80 a ticket; however, both of us find ourselves out of town more often or not that excited to be going to games. However, since it's borderline impossible to make our money back for a game we cannot attend. Which probably means we are in the last year of a 20 year run as season ticket holders.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Any recommendations for dinner before the game on saturday night? Wife and I coming up for the game and staying at the Sutton.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
IMO I have one of the better value seats in the arena in section 232 row 6 (first row of 2nd cheapest price category and not directly behind the net) and even I'm losing money on a lot of games I sell this season. I can't imagine the losses others are incurring on their pricier tickets.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Just curious if any season ticket holders are able to sell tickets for what they are paying? And if so why section or price point are they at? I wonder how upper drink rails seats are selling?

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Any recommendations for dinner before the game on saturday night? Wife and I coming up for the game and staying at the Sutton.
What kind of food do you like? Fast food? Pub food? Cheaper sit down? Expensive sit down?

There are a ton of options downtown, need a bit more info.

Just curious if any season ticket holders are able to sell tickets for what they are paying? And if so why section or price point are they at? I wonder how upper drink rails seats are selling?

I've been able to make a small profit on most of my sales, I'm lower bowl attack twice so $6,500/seat. But due to the cost most people only buy 1 game. I believe a lot of people who only go to 1 game a year want to sit in good seats, if you look on resale sites club seats/lower drink rail/lower attack twice all go really fast where as the number of upper bowl seats for sale is so high it's tough competition. I know in the future I will be buying lower bowl attack twice or club seats only. I won't sit in the upper bowl again.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
What kind of food do you like? Fast food? Pub food? Cheaper sit down? Expensive sit down?

There are a ton of options downtown, need a bit more info.

Anything good except upscale really. Somewhere to have a bite to eat and some beers that isn't Joey's or Chop.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Anything good except upscale really. Somewhere to have a bite to eat and some beers that isn't Joey's or Chop.
I would second the Buco recommendation from poolparty. They have great food and drinks.

joekdo

Dec 19, 2011

Highly recommend DOSC on the corner of 104 St and 103 Ave. Great food, great craft beer list, great atmosphere!

Sabor does a great meal and is actually pretty reasonably priced as well, but a little more upscale.

Rostizado is also good, but pricey.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Anyone end up going to the focus group last night? Wonder how that event went....
My dad said there were only 8 people in his session, with a session before his as well. There was a mirror in the room so it sounds like the Oilers had some reps behind it.

Sounds like people were not happy. I'm convinced that the Oilers are going to lose a trade badly soon in a desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs and stop the bleeding of season ticket holders.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
My dad said there were only 8 people in his session, with a session before his as well. There was a mirror in the room so it sounds like the Oilers had some reps behind it.

Sounds like people were not happy. I'm convinced that the Oilers are going to lose a trade badly soon in a desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs and stop the bleeding of season ticket holders.
The funny thing is that making the playoffs won't help with retaining season ticket holders because it gets even more expensive and the individual economic case for having them becomes even more ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad